Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Hi all,
I’m new to fractal products and just got my Axe FX 3. I’m interested in getting this pack, but I’ve disabled the cab modelling and am using the speaker modelling on my L6 powercab plus.
With the factory presets I’m choosing the appropriate (or best match) speaker and it sounds fantastic. Even with just the 6 different speakers I can cover everything and get a lovely ”in the room” sound.
Will the same thing work with these presets or are they dialled in for the particular ir’s?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,
I’m new to fractal products and just got my Axe FX 3. I’m interested in getting this pack, but I’ve disabled the cab modelling and am using the speaker modelling on my L6 powercab plus.
With the factory presets I’m choosing the appropriate (or best match) speaker and it sounds fantastic. Even with just the 6 different speakers I can cover everything.
Will the same thing work with these presets or are they dialled in for the particular ir’s?

Thanks in advance.
It'll work, but it won't sound the same. If you're using the Powercab's cab modeling, turn off cab modelling globally on your Axe.

But you owe it to yourself to at least try this preset pack with cab modeling on, through a full-range, flat-response system. Part of the mojo here is the carefully chosen and blended IRs.

It'll work, but it won't sound the same. If you're using the Powercab's cab modeling, turn off cab modelling globally on your Axe.

But you owe it to yourself to at least try this preset pack with cab modeling on, through a full-range, flat-response system. Part of the mojo here is the carefully chosen and blended IRs.

Thanks. Yeah, that’s what I’ve been doing with the cab modelling. I’ve tried FRFR mode on the powercab with the factory presets and they don’t sound great. I tried them with my studio monitors and they were much better, but I love the amp in the room sound of the powercab.
Maybe it’s something I’m doing because my Helix sounds good in FRFR mode with cab modelling on on the helix.

Isn’t the power cab just basically cutting the highs, same thing as you can do with the cab block high and low cuts ?

I fail to grasp how the same physical speaker, in the same closed back cabinet can sound any more “amp in room” with a change of settings.

Take the back off and make it an open back cabinet, then yeah sure, but when nothing physically changes other than frequency response, I don’t see how it’s “amp in room”.

It’s closed back speaker, with either a high cut, and/or disabled tweeter in room

That all said, check out the included cab block settings, there are some nice mixes of IR’s and great tonal variety

My Axe fx III arrived on Wednesday. My first fractal product (wow). It felt like I blinked and hours had gone past just cycling through some truly impressive tones and effects.
I then purchased your pack last night after reading some great reviews and only got a chance to play with some of them tonight... it does feel a bit like someone else on here said... you could spend a lifetime just loading a sound hearing the first few notes and thinking wow, I like that... ‘that’s the one’, changing scene a few times thinking again ‘ah, now that’s the one’... and so on. And you tell me there are a 1000 of these and that’s before you start adding your own effects etc!
Ok, stock the fridge, we could be in for a few very enjoyable all nighters.

Great stuff, cheers.

As you can tell, I'm not a frequent poster on this forum, although I do follow it fairly often. I bought an Axe II a few years back and have experimented with it quite a bit. Just a few months before the Axe III came out, I had bought the AustinBuddy Tonepack for it, but didn't have much time to really go through the different sounds before I upgraded to the Axe III. I've had my Axe III a couple of months now and just bought the new Naked Amps Tonepack the other day. I have been going through all the sounds, and I'll have to say that I'm just blown away. So many of the amp models that I had tried (as they came from the factory) just sounded blah, and after a few seconds with them, I'd basically tell myself that I could forget that particular amp, as it just didn't sound interesting. AustinBuddy's patches have completely opened up my eyes to what the Axe units can be. I just didn't realize that a few tweaks (a drive booster here, a little delay there, a different speaker cab) could make such a huge difference. While I don't think I could construct great tones as easily as AustinBuddy, I at least now have a better idea of the larger capabilities of the Axe unit. So THANKS AustinBuddy for opening up my eyes! This Tonepack is probably worth ten times the selling price (at least it would be to me)!

What don't you like about the way it sounds?

Everything sounds very muffled and woofy. Much nicer through my studio monitors. Not sure if it’s some Line 6 magic, but FRFR mode sounds great with my Helix and using the irs in the helix.

Isn’t the power cab just basically cutting the highs, same thing as you can do with the cab block high and low cuts ?

I fail to grasp how the same physical speaker, in the same closed back cabinet can sound any more “amp in room” with a change of settings.

Take the back off and make it an open back cabinet, then yeah sure, but when nothing physically changes other than frequency response, I don’t see how it’s “amp in room”.

It’s closed back speaker, with either a high cut, and/or disabled tweeter in room

That all said, check out the included cab block settings, there are some nice mixes of IR’s and great tonal variety

I don’t how or why, but it does. Obviously it doesn’t sound like a 4x12, but when it’s pushing air it sounds glorious, just like an amp into a 1x12. Also, it’s only obviously with the speaker modelling. It doesn’t magically do things when ir’s are used
I really had my doubts, but it’s a great bit of kit. I’m really not one for tweaking ir’s, mics, etc and just like to plug in and play. Using the speaker models of the powercab with the amps in the Axe sounds and feels incredible. The dynamics are like nothing else.

The Powercab isn’t really a FRFR speaker.

Yeah, I know that and it’s not why I bought it. To be honest, I didn’t think I’d use FRFR mode at all, but with the helix presets with ir’s sounded better than they did through my studio monitors.
Just wish I knew why it wasn’t the same with the Axe, especially as the factory presets are so good.

Back on topic, I’ll be picking this pack up soon. :)

To be honest, I didn’t think I’d use FRFR mode at all, but with the helix presets with ir’s sounded better than they did through my studio monitors.
Just wish I knew why it wasn’t the same with the Axe, especially as the factory presets are so good.
Your studio monitors are your reference here, because they’re a truer FRFR. Your Axe sounds good through them, so that indicates that the Axe modeling is good.

But your Axe sounds muffled through the Powercab. That tells us that the Powercab is muffling your sound.

But that muffling benefits the Helix, which has an upper-mid/treble thing going on that needs a little taming. The Powercab does the taming. The Axe doesn’t have that issue, so when the Powercab tries to tame it, the Axe’s sound gets muffled instead.

Your studio monitors are your reference here, because they’re a truer FRFR. Your Axe sounds good through them, so that indicates that the Axe modeling is good.

But your Axe sounds muffled through the Powercab. That tells us that the Powercab is muffling your sound.

But that muffling benefits the Helix, which has an upper-mid/treble thing going on that needs a little taming. The Powercab does the taming. The Axe doesn’t have that issue, so when the Powercab tries to tame it, the Axe’s sound gets muffled instead.

Thanks for that, makes sense.

There are some videos in the works independent of me.

But if you want an idea, there are plenty of the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, both videos and SoundCloud clips. See here.

I assumed there would be a handful of demo patches available to try for myself, since $100 is not a small sum
Video demos don't really work for me for amps or sims

What patches are in the pack? I'd be more interested in cleanish patches on the start of breakup (before you get to crunchy)

I assumed there would be a handful of demo patches available to try for myself, since $100 is not a small sum

What patches are in the pack? I'd be more interested in cleanish patches on the start of breakup (before you get to crunchy)

AustinBuddy has a couple presets on the AxeChange. I’d recommend playing with those to get a feel for his approach. Otherwise, unless I’ve missed it, I don’t think there’s been a negative review of this pack thus far.

To add to what I’ve already posted in this thread, I haven’t created a single preset myself since purchasing and I’m currently working through writing a song with nothing but these presets. It’s providing my cleans, dirties, leads, bass—everything.

There is a whole slew of clean presets.

As someone who finds that presets from other users almost never work for me, I bought the original pack for my Axe Fx II and was highly impressed.

When Buddy released the pack for Axe Fx III, I did not hesitate to buy again.

IMO, this pack beats the Axe Fx II pack by a large margin. The layout, number of tones, etc is better.

Also, keep in mind that the number of presets is a bit misleading as all (I think, I've not yet made it to all!) presets are essentially like 8 presets as each scene is setup as a distinct tone.

One thing to take note of: I have not seen a single person comment negatively on either of Buddy's packs. To me, the speaks volumes...

One thing to take note of: I have not seen a single person comment negatively on either of Buddy's packs. To me, the speaks volumes...

Likewise. And issues anyone has had are dealt with promptly and professionally.

If you're hesitant because of the outlay of money, I can assure you this is a force multiplier for your hefty investment in hardware. Just Do It(tm).

Last edited:
I think one can only give out so many samples before the potential for a sale diminishes..

I mean, if he gave out a sampler pack with like 10 different amp models, how many folks that otherwise would of bought the pack would think "you know, this really does everything I need right here.....", vs. how many additional people would buy if they tried the samples and thought "these are awesome, I want more, take my money" ?? I think its more likely the former than the latter, as I think most people who are willing to buy, bought regardless, just based upon reputation et al.

Likewise, I think if there was a sampler, there would be complaints that it doesn't have such and such model... like " The Fenders and Marshalls are great, but I'm interested in Mesa's or _______" so then you'd still not appease all the people.

Better just take a little leap of faith, with confidence in the nothing but stellar reviews the pack has received, and the fact that its less than 5% of the cost of an Axe III. Small price to pay to have some turnkey amazing sounds to really show what the $2500 unit is able to do, no ??

I’m curious, have you tried your Powercab in Flat mode? Does that make any difference in the sound?

I have Steve, yeah. Tried everything on the powercab and FRFR, raw and flat just don’t sound good with the Axe. It’s not a problem as the speaker modelling sounds tremendous, just would be nice to see how these sound with the ir’s.
If I had the room, I’d just hook up my monitors as well, but they don’t have the oomph of the powercab. I turned it up loud today with the greenback model and JCM800 and was giggling away just playing open G chords.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom