AX-8 Firmware Version 10.00

I'll rephrase the question - the Plexi 2204 is based on a non-MV amp, correct? So unlike the other amps where the MV is 'best' (in the real world) on 10 to push it, this model is not designed that way?

Plexi 2204 is based on a 1981 50W JMP with master volume.

I understood the question. my answer is still the same - try different values and use the one that sounds best to you. it's a parameter, not a fixed value, for a reason ;)

I've spent most of my decades (!) playing Fender and Vox amps, so the master volume on Marshall models (as an example) is new to me. My original Fender Twin had a master volume, but the way it worked was if you turned it down and had your input (instrument) level up it would be overdriving the power amp (the level set my the master volume). This may not be technically correct but that was my understanding anyway. So to get dirty sounds you had the input set high and the master volume set low. Is this how it is with the Marshalls as well? I know that I can experiment with my AX8 to find out, and I will, but it sort of confuses me when people say that certain Marshalls sound best with the Master Volume set to 10, which would (if they work the same as the Fender Twin does) result in a clean rather than an overdriven sound? Just trying to understand the workings of the Master Volume on Marshalls, so go easy on me please :)

I've spent most of my decades (!) playing Fender and Vox amps, so the master volume on Marshall models (as an example) is new to me. My original Fender Twin had a master volume, but the way it worked was if you turned it down and had your input (instrument) level up it would be overdriving the power amp (the level set my the master volume). This may not be technically correct but that was my understanding anyway. So to get dirty sounds you had the input set high and the master volume set low. Is this how it is with the Marshalls as well? I know that I can experiment with my AX8 to find out, and I will, but it sort of confuses me when people say that certain Marshalls sound best with the Master Volume set to 10, which would (if they work the same as the Fender Twin does) result in a clean rather than an overdriven sound? Just trying to understand the workings of the Master Volume on Marshalls, so go easy on me please :)
If you increase master volume the power amp distorts more, that happens in any amp, it's impossible that turning it down in your amp would overdrive the power amp. In that case it's mostly preamp distortion you're hearing.

You can see channel volume or gain as "preamp distortion" control and master volume as "power amp distortion".
Some amps are designed to sound better with more of the first one, other amps with more of the latter.
Some other amps have a preamp with lots of headroom that won't distort even with the gain cracked up (eg: hiwatt), in that case using channel volume or master volume is almost the same

Last edited:
I gotta say, I'm not one of the people that hears a difference everything there's a new firmware that changes the amp block but this time i hear it, it sounds much "cleaner" (for lack of a better word) with high gain, notes cut thru much more than before, one of the best firmware updates yet!

I've spent most of my decades (!) playing Fender and Vox amps, so the master volume on Marshall models (as an example) is new to me ...

I found Yeks Guide to Fractal Audio Amp Models quite illustrative of how to use the Master Volume for each amp model, and for describing the basic difference in Master Volume use for models that did or did not have a Master Volume in real life.

If you increase master volume the power amp distorts more, that happens in any amp, it's impossible that turning it down in your amp would overdrive the power amp. In that case it's mostly preamp distortion you're hearing.

You can see channel volume or gain as "preamp distortion" control and master volume as "power amp distortion".
Some amps are designed to sound better with more of the first one, other amps with more of the latter.
Some other amps have a preamp with lots of headroom that won't distort even with the gain cracked up (eg: hiwatt), in that case using channel volume or master volume is almost the same

Thanks DLC86 - that explains it all

I gotta say, I'm not one of the people that hears a difference everything there's a new firmware that changes the amp block but this time i hear it, it sounds much "cleaner" (for lack of a better word) with high gain, notes cut thru much more than before, one of the best firmware updates yet!

Hell Yeah!!! Did the update and refreshed all parameters. All presets--whether stock or 3rd party--just have this punch and clarity. Even my Yamaha H5 speakers sound clear and exact. Getting ready to upgrade to Presonus Eris E8 speakers.

but this FW focuses primarily on amp modeling, so i probably would reset the amp blocks. i mean, i did. and i like it. i kept my non-reset presets too. they still sound "good" but the preset i reset amps and re-tweaked i feel sounds better due to "correct" advanced defaults.

your call :D

OK, so I did the soft reset of my two 3-channel amp blocks. The #34 required a general +1 dB level change, while the AC30 one needed different level adjustments for the different drive settings - all was within 3 dB, so not that big a difference. On the AC30 I was also tempted to add the slightest bit of bass in the amp block, but I ended up not doing it.

A function where you could select a bunch of presets and then automatically replace the amp (or any other) block with a block from the block library would be really handy. I don't care, if it takes one minute per preset, but yesterday, I updated the amp and cab blocks in 40 presets with blocks from the block library. The worst part is not the long time or the extreme boredom, but there is also a large risk of mistakes. An automated way would be so much better. It would eliminate my need for global blocks.

Hi guys,
Wondering if anyone else has seen this? When going into the settings, my enter/exit keys don’t work intermittently. It’s happened 3 times now and a reboot usually corrects it - although yesterday I had to reboot twice for them to work. Think I should just reinstall FW10 again?

Thanks for any input! As a note (I DID hit the button once as opposed to the multiple times like I do in the vid with no change)

Last edited:
Don’t know HOW Cliff and the Team did it but Man is this update great!!!

I’ve had few rehearsals with FW10 and the tones are incredible...and it doesn’t end there: switching between presets is very fast now and I haven’t even tried changing Amps or Cabs with scenes yet.

Oh, and then they managed to lower the CPU usage as well!!!

Thank you once again!

OK, so I did the soft reset of my two 3-channel amp blocks. The #34 required a general +1 dB level change, while the AC30 one needed different level adjustments for the different drive settings - all was within 3 dB, so not that big a difference. On the AC30 I was also tempted to add the slightest bit of bass in the amp block, but I ended up not doing it.

A function where you could select a bunch of presets and then automatically replace the amp (or any other) block with a block from the block library would be really handy. I don't care, if it takes one minute per preset, but yesterday, I updated the amp and cab blocks in 40 presets with blocks from the block library. The worst part is not the long time or the extreme boredom, but there is also a large risk of mistakes. An automated way would be so much better. It would eliminate my need for global blocks.
That would be awesome. I went through all 41 of my presets and did a soft reset of the amp blocks too. Definitely tedious.

I am still getting dropouts on AX8-edit with version 10, which is still very annoying. Fortunately, closing AX8-edit and re-opening it seems to do the trick most of the time whereas before I would have to turn off the AX8 and my power amps and close AX8-edit and then turn everything back on and open AX8-edit again until the next drop out, which usually occurred within minutes.

I'll just add my 2 cents in again: I've gigged FW10 many times now, and I jam on it nearly every day lol... I'm fortunate enough to say I've not experienced ANY problems with it or in AX8 Edit... Thanks for the great service and excellent product, FAS team!

Back
Top Bottom