Yngwie at Sweetwater

Was thinking about this the other night, about what another member stated on this thread about vocalists bringing as much, or more to the party than any guitar player.

I hafta agree with that. A Vocalist certainly breaks up guitar parts - presents them, and turns them into more impressive and easily digestible bites.. And vocalists are great - they do bring most of it to the party - as a rule. ..unless you are Don Dokken trying to upstage George Lynch that-is!! :D

I have played instrumentally in front of people. They always seemed wowed for the first opening piece of music, and then .. not. It gets tiresome for them. I didn't do that for long as it wasn't really what people wanted.

Now ...I'm no real or great talent... So, maybe it was just me?

Then, I was watching a Joe Satriani YouTube clip the other day ..."Flying in a Blue Dream" .. Joe starts playing, walks out onto a dark stage (opening with an intro to this song). Joe's up there just spewing genius from his strings, Lights come-up, Joe sliiiiiides into....lead intro for Blue Dream... camera pans to an audience member - BIG Old smile on his face, Bobbing his head and down. YUP!! ..Blown away (as it should be in the presence of such greatness, I think :D)

...Toward the end of that song, the camera pans back to the same guy in the crowd.. He doesn't seems nearly as impressed as he was. Not bobbing his head.. Not smiling .. No Big grin ...he's just there listing.

JUST guitar playing, it gets old for many people. Doesn't matter how good a person might be. Without the rest of the band, it's just a guy of a certain talent playing guitar.

Vocalists break it up for us. They make us look good. Having stood there and played instrumentally way back in the day, and me being no Satch. I learned that the hard way. It's Very hard to keep people impressed with any set of skills.

Yngwie tends to start at 10, doesn't take breaks, and never moves that far up and down a ladder.. Too much of that Can be overwhelming for many, I suppose.

I do Kinda-like the G3 setup though! THREE Stables of Great Talent, all of different breeds. For instrumentalists it's a great idea. It works.. Breaks things up a little.

Had a bassist a while back who also played violin in a classical orchestra. Phhhhhh...Man was that guy talented!!.. Used to love going to classical music concerts. The difference I think being that there is so much talent in those orchestras, with each musician and soloist doing their thing. It continually held me enraptured. Just works better I think, over a single guitar player taking center stage all night-long - no matter how great that talent.

^^^^ ...These being my thoughts n'all that - your thoughts may be different! But, whatever your thoughts..

Happy Wednesday Everybody. :D

Last edited:
Never said anything about having to like or listen to Yngwie's music...just find it laughable that those who'll never influence anyone with their playing, will never release an album, will never tour the world playing to thousands of fans, will never have a guitar magazine ask for an interview, will never share the stage with Satriani or Vai think they have the right to trash talk a legend of rock guitar.

As a new member here, you're off to a roaring start. Perhaps you should go back and spar with the kids commenting on YouTube. Seems to be more your style.

And for the record, as a teacher I've influenced hundreds with my playing, I've released an album, toured, played to thousands, and even done an interview or three. And there are plenty of guys here who have way more credentials than I do. So we'll say whatever the hell we want about your Swedish hero.

/Plonk

Tell me if you've heard this one....how many guitarists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

In my old age, I've finally learn that if you have a good tune, everything else falls into place. Yngwie has played on some great tunes (both instrumental and with vocals). On those, he's bloody amazing.

My Favorite Yngwie Song - this is the song plays on a loop occasionally in my own likkle-mind. Love the solo in this one. ... ... ... Personally :D

'Course they have the right. If it's within forum rules, then they have the right. YOU don't think they have the right. There's differences.

You are objecting to another person's opinion by telling a person with opposing views that THEY have No Right to air their own views. ...Based on Your opinion.

My opinion, your opinion, their opinions. They're just opinions. Statements being made.. You don't have to like them. Your opinion is about as valid as anybody else's on a thing. And you're entitled to make yours known - and - I'm - sure - you - will ;). ...And as long as those opinions and statements fall within forum guidelines, you're golden.

What we are Not allowed to do here, is arbitrarily attack people for their opinions.

...I'm a BIG ABBA Fan. Do You know how much crap I had to eat being an ABBA fan growing up!!!! :oops: ... EVEN NOW I'll catch a ha'p'orth of crap for it! ...But ..People are entitled to an opinion. And either way. ...as long as it's within forum boundaries. :rolleyes: :eek: :( :D

It's not rocket science. We're aren't all being held hostage here - all being Forced to read opposing views, all being forced to agree or conform to those views... If a person doesn't like a statement - a person which is all growed-up mind-you - then they can easily skip over a thing and move happily along.

We don't need to resort to asinine, petty, or personal attacks.

How would you know? You don't know these people, I don't. Not really. Having lurked here for a couple of years before signing up I DO Know that there are a LOT more talented people on this forum than me - I know that!!! ...So ...??? ...how would you or I know to which degree a forum member influences others? Or how many a member has played in front of? How many they have taught those who do hold them in high regard?

...Best not to make assumptions on that one then. On this forum? This crowd? .. You just might have wildly swung at the next Petrucci, or early influence and teacher of said phenom "type".

This forum being associated with a private enterprise, we have freedom of speech under forum rules I think. :D .. for as long as that holds out. :D

@Mark-B I really dig ABBA as well. Fantastic songwriting and arrangements.

Don't feed the troll, folks. Don't feed the troll.
No trolling here......yes I enjoy Yngiwe's music however far more than that I have a significant degree of respect and admiration for what he has achieved.

I guess post all the disrespectful comments you like but at the end of the day he'll still be a legend of the instrument, I doubt there are many on this forum who can claim any such status.

Just because the guy is a legend doesn't mean we can't criticize him. If anything the vast majority of the people here are very appreciative of his talent and skills, and that the man was a game changer in his time. What we do criticize him for is that A: he is an arrogant asshole, B: his instrumentals are guitar note diarrhea, not songs, like he used too, and C: that the man has not developed himself as an artist. He came, he saw, he conquered, and....... then he stayed the same for the rest of his career. I for one know that Yngwie has derided the Edge of U2 of not being able to play the guitar, but the Edge and U2 have stayed relevant by developing and changing their sound. Similarly Radiohead, also not the most technically gifted guitarists, have gone from sonic change to sonic change with basically every album, also staying relevant and even cutting edge that way, whereas Yngwie just stayed the same. Only appealing to those who are still stuck in the 80's like him.

And what we do make fun off is his Great Wall 'o' Marshalls. As it A: looks ridiculous and B: we're Fractal users. Amps? We don't need no stinkin' amps anymore. :p

The wall was my original reason for posting. I just thought it's funny they built this wall of heads he doesn't use. The only two amps on the stage in use were both his signature heads. Good on him for still using his limited edition sig amps still and not some old plexi.

I've been big Yngwie fan whole my life, and he was definetely one of my biggest early influences.
Having said that, I am also very entertained by his interesting character, sometimes ridiculous comments about certain stuff, etc...also, these days I am not listening to him that much, but, every time I hear him, puts a big smile on my face :) That vibrato!! :)

Back
Top Bottom