High Quality Cable vs Economy Cable, The SRV Story

Gosh what a world you have to live in where everything fails or is not good. I almost pity you. ;)

Allow me to rephrase it then. The Gear Page is a place that takes cork sniffing and elevates it to the Nth degree. Whatever overdrive is the new flavour of the week gets hyped into absurdium. And when you try to point it out to them that they're just GASing for yet another modded tubescreamer they will act insulted and call you names. In the DIY community, from which I come, TGP is a joke, and just the mere mentioning of a TGP thread is enough to make you lose all hope in humanity.

Do you even like the Axe Fx?

Nah, it's a piece of crap. I'll probably sell it and migrate back to the Line 6 Pod. The original one, because it has vintage mojo. After all, some guy on TGP said so so it must be true.

Allow me to rephrase it then. The Gear Page is a place that takes cork sniffing and elevates it to the Nth degree. Whatever overdrive is the new flavour of the week gets hyped into absurdium. And when you try to point it out to them that they're just GASing for yet another modded tubescreamer they will act insulted and call you names. In the DIY community, from which I come, TGP is a joke, and just the mere mentioning of a TGP thread is enough to make you lose all hope in humanity.

Geez I never said I was a member, I just saw a post in a google search, maybe I should have used Bing huh? or Yahoo? Brother you need to chill, I thought I was bad but if just merely mentioning TGP makes you lose all hope in humanity then you may be certifiable, and might want to see a professional. :) It's not your fault. :)

Thank you very much for the info @lwknives Moving the resonance frequency down 2Khz? 2000Hz? That sounds like a mile! So if my Duncan JB has resonance frequency of 2.6KHz, that cable will drop it down to 600Hz? I see the chart is for a single coil pickup with 250K pots, is it any different for a humbucker with 500K pots? There are two cables I am looking at specifically and maybe a third- Lava if anyone can suggest which one. The two are the Live Wire Elite which I don't know the tech info, and the Armor Gold; which if memory serves claim a medium-low capacitance at around 32pF per foot. They prefer that over a lower capacitance.

info@armorgoldcables.com

What about wireless systems? Do they have a capacitance other than the two 1.5ft cables needed for the body pack and receiver? How important are those cables? My wireless is 18 years old and VHF, does that make their capacitance higher? that is if they have any.

Well I guess I don't have to worry about 3 of my guitars, they're active :)

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn.
It interacts with your pickups so it may not be exactly 2000hz for a pickup with a resonant frequency at 2600Hz it would probably not reduce it as much.

The only situation where a cable will affect your tone is when you’re running passive pickups. In that case, the capacitance of your guitar cable will do two things: add high-end roll-off, and lower the resonant peak of your pickup.

I go for the lowest capacitance I can get. If I want the effects of added capacitance, I can do that on my Axe-Fx.

I’ve been using the “high-def” cables from Bestronics for a couple of years now. They’re as low-capacitance as you can get, they’re rugged but flexible, they’re well shielded, they do a great job of lying flat on the stage, and (wonder of wonders) they’re reasonably priced.

I’ve been using the “high-def” cables from Bestronics for a couple of years now.

Checking them out right now. Wow, have you seen the cable with the Neutrik timbrePLUG assembly? The one that warms the tone with a knob in 4 steps from clear to warm characteristics? I bet that's pretty cool for going into a new venue not knowing the acoustics and PA and instantly being able to take out the shrill with a knob right on your guitar cable's connector. But alas, for me, I wouldn't be able to use it with the V-Burst I built because I used a flush mount jack and the knob would jab me in the leg. :eek: Unless I use a diff cable for the guitar, it really needs the low profile right angle plug. I get too turned on by new gimmicky gadgets, plus it costs twice as much a what I need.

Probably not worth it eh?

Checking them out right now. Wow, have you seen the cable with the Neutrik timbrePLUG assembly? The one that warms the tone with a knob in 4 steps from clear to warm characteristics? I bet that's pretty cool for going into a new venue not knowing the acoustics and PA and instantly being able to take out the shrill with a knob right on your guitar cable's connector. But alas, for me, I wouldn't be able to use it with the V-Burst I built because I used a flush mount jack and the knob would jab me in the leg. :eek: Unless I use a diff cable for the guitar, it really needs the low profile right angle plug. I get too turned on by new gimmicky gadgets, plus it costs twice as much a what I need.

Probably not worth it eh?
I'd try my tone knob first. :)

Changing your guitar's output may or may not address FOH acoustic issues.

These guys make some great cables: https://btpa.com/Guitar-Line-Level/

Here's the one I'm currently using: https://btpa.com/GI3-XX.html?category_id=65

It would seem you both have similiar wealth and taste ;).

I'd try my tone knob first. :)

Changing your guitar's output may or may not address FOH acoustic issues.

I used to use the tone knob a lot after a tech told me to use a .01 orange drop cap instead of .022 or .027. It gave the pot much more usable range practically down to zero without sounding like nothing but bass. But I only have one of those guitars left and I haven't changed the ones in my new acquisitions. The Jem I bought must have a treble bleed circuit cuz it sounds like it actually gets brighter when the vol knob is turned down.

As far as FOH acoustic issues; it may not help, but it's much simpler "on the fly" than adjusting the global EQ for instance. I'm still not going to get one though, if I do play out live again I'll be using a wireless like I always have, most likely, unless I can't get a signal like at Boheca's near Midway airport. I think they closed anyway. ;)

Edit: Ah-ha, I see they are the Fractal Audio "recommended cable assembly house." Hmm, maybe a few extra bones for you guys if you discretely sell some cables eh?

Haha, just kidding :D.

Last edited:
Edit: Ah-ha, I see they are the Fractal Audio "recommended cable assembly house." Hmm, maybe a few extra bones for you guys if you discretely sell some cables eh?

Haha, just kidding :D.
Not even close. I don't get a dime from Best-Tronics. Not even sliver of a strand of copper. Just a satisfied customer who finds it refreshing to see a high-quality cable company that doesn't rely on mystique, hand-waving and bullshit.

Not even close. I don't get a dime from Best-Tronics. Not even sliver of a strand of copper. Just a satisfied customer who finds it refreshing to see a high-quality cable company that doesn't rely on mystique, hand-waving and bullshit.

Can I quote you on that? ;)

Lol. I do like colored cables, soooo, I bought one, with Neutrik connecters. Are all the cables the same on the Hi Def page and the only difference being the connectors? So it was $28.40 for the cable, shipping $6.70, and TAX $2.20! for total of 37.30! Didn't know they were in Tinley Park, IL. That's fine, I was looking at at least $49 for Armor Gold's and Mogami probably would have been more. Hope their better than what I currently have, I'm sure the handling noise will be better.

Back
Top Bottom