AX8 FOH with in-ears?

I understand...that's basically what I said. Read my post again.

I play at church, and everyone has Avioms. I like to use my left IEM for click, and a balanced mix, and leave the right out to hear my amp and the room. Several years ago, I played through a POD X3 Live, and I hated the silent(I call it dead) stage...with no feel or impact, it's hard for me to get into the music and play 100%.

Other than my amp, and an acoustic guitar, it's a silent stage...Bass and keys direct, and the drums are in an iso box. I'm actually going to be using the AX8 for the first time tomorrow, but I'm gonna have my own monitor to substitute for the amp feel.
Sorry, long day... You did indeed say that :)

I dial in patches on my monitors at home and it sounds good through my IEMs(64 Audio A3) but when I get to church and plug in through the Aviom it sounds much worse every time. The system is doing something and I don't know what.

Check to see if the Aviom has local EQ on your mixer.
Our ME-1's do have local EQ.
Maybe the Aviom mixer you were using has the EQ off of flat?

Maybe someone can help me .... I have had problems with the sound coming out in my in ear PSM 300 shure ... How much do I play live I do not have a good guitar player ... which comes back to my ear ... From Ax8 leaves the main out and goes to the sound table ... Do you have a specific office to have a better answer?

I've been using IEM's at Church for at least 12 years,.. we started out with an old board/amp system then moved onto an Aviom,.. and for the past 8 years or so we've been using "Same Page" (32 channel individual mix w/EQ ) ... I've been using the AX8 for about a year and a 1/2 now I believe, and the Boss GT100 before that..

This is what works for me... I dial in my patches/presets at home using the same IEM's I use a church Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's. Typically everything translates pretty well for me when I get to rehearsal. The most common adjustment for me is to scrub off some high end and mids, and dial in some more Bass & Depth to warm things up a bit. I can only assume that the signal routing is effecting my tone in that manor as things sound plenty warm at home dialing things in.

Our sound guy says that he doesn't have to adjust my sounds hardly at all in the house. we get the weekly recordings and they sound pretty close to how I feel they should be.... maybe just a tad mid-rangy if anything.

I've tried many ways to build my presets at home,... using my Studio monitors,.. HD280 head phones,.. and then my In ears... the in ears translated the best for me..

Have the audio technica in ears. Using the stock buds. Kinda awful sounding, but better than a wedge. Will higher end buds make that much of a difference? Will it ever sound like my whole band isn't in ear buds? Its all clear, just small sounding to me. When I pull a bud out, things get better.

You have to EQ the IEM send from the mixer. Just like you’d tune any stage monitor to work in that space, you have to tune your IEMs so the EQ is what you like from the beginning. Play some recorded music through it and notice that it’s probably not really what you want. I need to tweak the Mids and scoop out some hot spots, then the treble and bass need to be right too. Especially the low end. I usually have it cut because that takes up so much sonic space and fatigues my ears very fast if there’s too much. I want that “cushion”, but it can’t be crazy like I’m casually listening to music.

Remember these are monitors, not a setup for a recorded mixed and mastered sound. Turn up the elements you need - it probably won’t sound like a song on the radio.

Panning goes a long long way. Even in my duo setup, I pan my partner to whatever side he’s on so there’s some spatial relation. Mono can work for short term, but it gets fatiguing as well.

Also don’t turn yourself up too much in relation to the other members of the band. This skews the cohesiveness of the performance and usually sounds unnatural since the drivers are so close to your ear drum. With regular speakers, even if you’re blasting yourself in your own zone on stage, the room reflections give you a sense of place relative to the other instruments.

A reverb send really helps too, giving that sense of place and space, but to me isn’t the most important element. But it can be the glue that puts everything together. I prefer a shorter “room” type verb.

For quick things, IEMs don’t need much setup. But for your regular band or situation, it really helps to spend time on the EQ and mix/pan to make things comfortable and natural.

And please keep both sides in unless your stage volume is very low. At normal “with drums” volume, you naturally turn up the 1 side way too high to match the loudness coming in the non-IEM ear and cause major damage. When you see some pop stars do it, the stage is usually huge and I bet it’s not that loud. Small stages aren’t the same at all.

In my opinion IEMs will never sound like a good wedge but depending on how good the ear buds/molds fit they might be ok and sufficient. They're primarily a hearing protection and secondly help dealing with stage bleed caused by loud monitors. This said they can lead to a better stage sound than through cheap floor monitors.

In my opinion IEMs will never sound like a good wedge but depending on how good the ear buds/molds fit they might be ok and sufficient. They're primarily a hearing protection and secondly help dealing with stage bleed caused by loud monitors. This said they can lead to a better stage sound than through cheap floor monitors.
I find that sound is not the problem but rather the feel. I love IEM and have gotten to the point where as long as I can control my own mix I prefer it. Hearing everything clearly while not getting a headache is awesome. When I play with wedges there is a lot more energy on the stage. It is just the nature of having all that volume ect. I cannot recreate that level of energy with only IEM but I will take the clear audio vs the energy just about everytime

I use westone In ears with embedded filters to let a little ambient sound in. Additionally, a zoom h2n on a mic stand just to my left is used to pick up stage mix and that, along with a feed from the desk of just the singer, as well as a direct signal from the AX8, all go into a personal mixer, giving me a wonderful, clear and full sound with all the feel I need.

The zoom made a huge difference!

I use westone In ears with embedded filters to let a little ambient sound in. Additionally, a zoom h2n on a mic stand just to my left is used to pick up stage mix and that, along with a feed from the desk of just the singer, as well as a direct signal from the AX8, all go into a personal mixer, giving me a wonderful, clear and full sound with all the feel I need.

The zoom made a huge difference!

I'd love to get more details on this rig. I use IEM's but most shows just give me one channel to the board for the guitar and one for the mic. We have a QSC Touchmix for practice and the occasional show that requires our PA. I love to have our own mixer and we all have control over our own mix for panning and levels. Otherwise I get stuck with the mono monitor mix we try to set up beforehand.

You have to EQ the IEM send from the mixer. Just like you’d tune any stage monitor to work in that space, you have to tune your IEMs so the EQ is what you like from the beginning. Play some recorded music through it and notice that it’s probably not really what you want. (snip)
This is so true. Try running some reference music (a CD you know well) through your complete IEM chain, and listen to the EQ. Fix the curve to suit your taste, then try your guitar through the IEMs.

This is so true. Try running some reference music (a CD you know well) through your complete IEM chain, and listen to the EQ. Fix the curve to suit your taste, then try your guitar through the IEMs.
It’s a world of difference really.

What does this mean?
I set up in my spot on the stage. I plug my AXE or Amp (line out on a Mesa) into the 1 cable the house has labeled as guitar "1" to the board. I unplug their stage monitor and plug it into the IEM transmitter. I can't send or receive stereo. I'm unable to pan.

I set up in my spot on the stage. I plug my AXE or Amp (line out on a Mesa) into the 1 cable the house has labeled as guitar "1" to the board. I unplug their stage monitor and plug it into the IEM transmitter. I can't send or receive stereo. I'm unable to pan.
oh, you said one for guitar one for mic. i didn't know what mic meant.

In my experience IEMs sound much better than any stage/wedge monitor setup I've ever had to use. Isolation from the drummer and other sources of stage volume, individual control over the mix, sound quality and wider soundstage when running stereo (which is becoming the norm) are among the biggest advantages of IEMs. Isolation from the crowd is really no longer an issue since most venues also have crowd mics. There's really no more excuses other than just being stubborn.

More and more bands and venues are going to 'empty' stages, without amps on stage, to provide a better show through more visual presentation or simply to gain control over the volume in the room. In the last 4 years, I have yet to play a venue that uses floor monitors, they've all been IEM, and not one experience has been negative. Venues that use IEM systems exclusively these days typically have someone that knows what they're doing when adjusting your mix. The days of using amps and monitors on stage seem to be numbered. IEMs do take some getting used to but once you've received proper training from someone that knows what they're doing and had them create a mix that's eq'd properly, there's really no comparison.

I'm an old dog and don't like new tricks anymore than the next guy, but adapting to current technology is the only way to ensure you'll have places to play. Otherwise, get used to your bedroom and your mom, wife and/or kids as your audience.

I find that sound is not the problem but rather the feel. I love IEM and have gotten to the point where as long as I can control my own mix I prefer it. Hearing everything clearly while not getting a headache is awesome. When I play with wedges there is a lot more energy on the stage. It is just the nature of having all that volume ect. I cannot recreate that level of energy with only IEM but I will take the clear audio vs the energy just about everytime
Energy is difficult to feel with IEMs but a set of subs under the stage helps tremendously.

Back
Top Bottom