Yngwie at Sweetwater

Hellbat

Fractal Fanatic
Sorry if this has been posted already. If it has and I missed it, please merge.

22 heads (DSL's?) in a wall and the only head with a cable going to it is the 23rd, what looks like an old plexi in the top corner. I guess it's one of his limited sigs.

:D

Love the guy, one of my biggest influences, but the Marshall wall thing is so tired at this point it's laughable.

I played at the HOB Cleveland, and was talking to the sound guy and Yngwie just played there, and he said they had to go to the hardware store and clean them out of straps to strap down the cabinets and heads. Something about the fire marshall or something.

"more is more". YJM

Last edited:
I saw a show of Yngwie's at the Chicago House of Blues soon after Dio died and he did a couple of old Rainbow songs and had Ripper Owens as his singer, excellent show and very entertaining. A couple weeks earlier Ripper was there with The Disciples of Dio for a tribute to Dio, another great show.

This show... I ordered some guitar picks from Sweetwater and they sent a bunch of candy with them. :)

I wish he would stop with the guitar note diarrhea. Yngwie is one of the few shredders that I can stand but play some actual songs dammit! You know, those things that have like intros, verses, choruses and bridges and stuff, before the solo. Instead of just solos. I have only one Yngwie album, Odyssey, and the one thing I like about it that it has actual songs on it. And good ones too.

First and only time I've ever really heard Yngwie Malmsteen, because back in the 80's and after I never really had any interest in so-called Bach-rock as described by my college roommate/guitar teacher:

I went to Generation Axe with my cousin at Westbury. It was a great show... right up until Malmsteen got up there to do his solo thing... and it was the worst thing I've ever heard, period. I'd rather go back to Bogue Sound and stand next to hovering Harriers. Total torture. I decided to go take a leak and get a beer, and apparently so did the rest of the audience because I got on line for the toilet when it was only 10 deep and looked behind me and there was literally half of everyone else. I got back to my seat to clench my teeth for the rest of whatever the hell was going on onstage (it seemed like forever because it appeared to just be the same trash over and over and over again). Awful tone, sloppy playing, nothing interesting about anything he was doing musically.

At the end they all jammed on Highway Star which was great, except for Yngwie's step out solo sections. It was just noise. Tosin Abasi was many orders of magnitude better and that tune is definitely not his genre, but he's a genius, and he really did some cool stuff with his sections.

Marty Friedman did the same thing to my ears at the Baltimore Soundstage not to long ago, too. They came out after Covet and a few other bands and did this intro screeching thing that had no reason to it. It was like a series of song endings that just repeated over and over again with no point - and his tone was just plain awful. I left 10 minutes into whatever the hell it was, so I couldn't tell you what the rest of the set was like. His bass player, Kiyoshi Manii was very entertaining to watch (I was on the right side of the stage, fortunately), but I'm a guy that likes the female bassist trope anyway, so...). Unfortunately, she wasn't enough to keep me from wanting to beat the traffic. When Baltimore Soundstage and Ran's Head Live finish up at the same time on a Friday or Saturday night it can slow down getting out of town and heading back to PA where I lived.

Seriously the most unmusical shit I've ever heard in both cases.

So, how's that for a review?

Last edited:
I admire the skill it takes to do this, but I have no idea how someone could sit through 48 minutes of this stuff. His music has the emotional impact of a turnip to me. Every. Song. Sounds. The. Same.

Interesting how you don't hear any applause at the end of the songs on this video.

I appreciate the skill involved but I prefer Vinnie Moore, Marty Friedman, Tony MacAlpine and of course Vai and Satriani over Yngwie. They shred more musically IMO.

The worst part was all the people watching the show through their phones.

C'mon people, you're supposed to experience life, not document it.

Dude I just love your username :D. I agree, live a little! Axehole, are you Canadian? My dad worked for Canadian Pacific 41 years, so I guess that's gotta make me part Canadian eh? Even though both my parents were from New Orleans... o_O

I'm old - I saw YJM with Alcatrazz - I think he was like 19 or something - I remember thinking that he could go far with that kind of talent. His first 3 albums were great with Jeff Scott Soto. Like someone else said, when he had actual songs and melody. It seemed after that everything is just a boring shred fest. It always cracks me up seeing the pics of him with his Ferraris....

I'm old - I saw YJM with Alcatrazz - I think he was like 19 or something - I remember thinking that he could go far with that kind of talent. His first 3 albums were great with Jeff Scott Soto. Like someone else said, when he had actual songs and melody. It seemed after that everything is just a boring shred fest. It always cracks me up seeing the pics of him with his Ferraris....

I am pretty certain Jeff Scott Soto sang only on Marching Out... Definitely my favorite of his revolving door of singers :)

Edit:

He was also on Rising Force

Last edited:
He was a featured artist at Vai Academy 2018.

Same wall of amps to play a few workshops... Total overkill.

He was very disinterested... Except when Steve had a joint workshop, where both were quite funny and engaging.

He has great ability and a crazy good vibrato... But I can't listen to him outside of the context of vocal tunes. It gets really old really fast to me :)

I am pretty certain Jeff Scott Soto sang only on Marching Out... Definitely my favorite of his revolving door of singers :)

Edit:

He was also on Rising Force

I stand corrected - Trilogy had Mark Boals - forgot about that album - and then Odyssey with Joe Lynn Turner - So really first 4 albums were pretty damn good.
And I would agree that Marching Out stands out as my fav.

Yeah I honestly don't listen to anything after Odyssey with Joe Lynn Turner, his music got too "foreign" for lack of a better word. Mark Bolz was one of his early singers too, not sure which album but I'm pretty sure he's the one in the video for "I'll See the Light Tonight" even though it's really Jeff Scott Soto's voice on the album. Trilogy perhaps? "You Don't Remember I'll Never Forget"

When I saw him last in 2011 though that was one of the best shows I've ever seen. It was all old shit with some Rainbow thrown in with the Ripper Owens on vox ;), and Yngwie was on FIRE! Great sound too. My soon to hopefully be girlfriend and I were in Heaven Tonight, her favorite song. I got a BIG hug when that one started. :D:D:D Holy crap I wrote huge instead of hug, glad I caught that one, Freudian slip? I should give her a call. ;)

Back
Top Bottom