Facebook Garbage

To my knowledge, Jobs was very much anti social media for the very reason of what it has become.
Yes, this forum is a form of social media, and it too is replete with the standard issue characters you will find on any platform:

The passive aggressive dude who inserts himself into nearly every thread questioning why you even have an opinion...
The dude who constantly posts his resume in an effort to rationalize his intellectual superiority as to why his opinion is always the correct one ( my personal favorite, from an entertainment standpoint)
The ultra condescending dude who is always happy to help but only after he establishes that your an idiot first...
And of course, the ever obvious dude with a product agenda...

That said, this board is certainly better from an exchange of information standpoint than most and even the characters mentioned above frequently contribute knowledge that benefits others. And there are certainly plenty of people who contribute in a positive way around here.
And even the ones who choose a douche online persona are probably just fine if you met them in person...anonymity brings out the worst in people.

As most know, social media is a designed psychological manipulation (why anyone would willing surrender their greatest gift is beyond me) I often use the cooking frogs analogy, in that by the time you figure it out (and most don't), it's too late. Commoditizing "friends" devalues social relationships. I would submit that a man with 1200 social media friends, actually has none. A friend is some you can have a conversation with (almost a totally lost art these days), that is still capable of listening to another human being, and capable of civil discourse.... all while doing the nearly impossible task of not staring at their phone. I look at Zeppelins presence album cover and realize how right Storm got it 42 years ago... replace the black obelisk (which is actually a black cutout representing emptiness) with a phone...and well, here we are. Facebook is a necessary evil from a commercial standpoint... but I wont even attempt to have a relationship with anyone who is on it for personal reasons.

Sorry for the rant, but this subject is my greatest concern for the future of our species...and its growing exponentially.

To my knowledge, Jobs was very much anti social media for the very reason of what it has become.
Yes, this forum is a form of social media, and it too is replete with the standard issue characters you will find on any platform:

The passive aggressive dude who inserts himself into nearly every thread questioning why you even have an opinion...
The dude who constantly posts his resume in an effort to rationalize his intellectual superiority as to why his opinion is always the correct one ( my personal favorite, from an entertainment standpoint)
The ultra condescending dude who is always happy to help but only after he establishes that your an idiot first...
And of course, the ever obvious dude with a product agenda...

That said, this board is certainly better from an exchange of information standpoint than most and even the characters mentioned above frequently contribute knowledge that benefits others. And there are certainly plenty of people who contribute in a positive way around here.
And even the ones who choose a douche online persona are probably just fine if you met them in person...anonymity brings out the worst in people.

As most know, social media is a designed psychological manipulation (why anyone would willing surrender their greatest gift is beyond me) I often use the cooking frogs analogy, in that by the time you figure it out (and most don't), it's too late. Commoditizing "friends" devalues social relationships. I would submit that a man with 1200 social media friends, actually has none. A friend is some you can have a conversation with (almost a totally lost art these days), that is still capable of listening to another human being, and capable of civil discourse.... all while doing the nearly impossible task of not staring at their phone. I look at Zeppelins presence album cover and realize how right Storm got it 42 years ago... replace the black obelisk (which is actually a black cutout representing emptiness) with a phone...and well, here we are. Facebook is a necessary evil from a commercial standpoint... but I wont even attempt to have a relationship with anyone who is on it for personal reasons.

Sorry for the rant, but this subject is my greatest concern for the future of our species...and its growing exponentially.
I think the Uni-bomber said it before Jobs..lol

I think the Uni-bomber said it before Jobs..lol

Teddy K is looking more and more like a prophet every day... Just as OBL was the nine year champ at hide and seek... Teddy will be the Tom Brady of "told you so"....:)

Teddy K is a classic example of getting wrong "it's not what you say but how you say it"

I would submit that a man with 1200 social media friends, actually has none.

You don't know the half of it pal.
I should just ask the mods to delete this thread. What in the hell did all this have to do with me getting back into my account. I have 1200 "friends" because I was networking for the band, and I'd probably have more than triple that by now if that band was still together. I better stop before I say something... I won't stoop to that level.

I think your missing my point, or perhaps I could have worded it better. The point being that there’s a difference between contacts and friends and people have lost sight of that and value that each holds respectively. No ill intent directed at you or anyone else but rather at how these platforms change how people interact. This exchange being a good example of just that. Civil discourse or lack thereof.

Yes, I quoted your number, when really any large number would have sufficed, and I can see where that could lead to misinterpretation. But I assure you, I come in peace. My intent was to draw attention to the insidousness of the platforms, not you specifically.

I’m prone to overreacting when the subject of social media comes up. But only because I feel most aren’t aware of it’s risk and what it’s doing on a global scale.

If there was an avatar contest...my vote would go to Fractals (spelling?)... who doesn’t love German Shepherd puppies?

Yes, I quoted your number, when really any large number would have sufficed, and I can see where that could lead to misinterpretation. But I assure you, I come in peace. My intent was to draw attention to the insidousness of the platforms, not you specifically.

I’m prone to overreacting when the subject of social media comes up. But only because I feel most aren’t aware of it’s risk and what it’s doing on a global scale.

If there was an avatar contest...my vote would go to Fractals (spelling?)... who doesn’t love German Shepherd puppies?

Do you mean fractalz? Puppies over Tail? I think not! :cool: Ope! wait, I knew it, you're a chick aren't ya, you're the one in the photo! Ha, I solved the Project Mayhem mystery, it all makes perfect sense to me now, dudes don't care about puppies! Ok I'll stop ;).

No worries bruh... But I don't quite know where you're going with this: "I’m prone to overreacting when the subject of social media comes up. But only because I feel most aren’t aware of it’s risk and what it’s doing on a global scale."

What is it doing and why should anyone be concerned. The way I look at it is if the world's going to end it's going to end, and if it's because of social media so be it. Not that I'm a pacifist, but I think we all have something more immediate to worry about, like "the rent" as my Chicago West side buddy would put it. :p

It also kinda seemed like you were pointing the finger at @Muad'zin , which is fine, let that ssob have it! ;)

I think were lying to ourselves. Social media does what exactly? Take notice of your attitude and other drivers attitudes when they are driving...the truth comes out on the road. The only one that matters is the self.

And FB stock is in retreat...at the moment..lol
Holding out for the pullback, then buying more.
160's?

Do you mean fractalz? Puppies over Tail? I think not! :cool: Ope! wait, I knew it, you're a chick aren't ya, you're the one in the photo! Ha, I solved the Project Mayhem mystery, it all makes perfect sense to me now, dudes don't care about puppies! Ok I'll stop ;).

No worries bruh... But I don't quite know where you're going with this: "I’m prone to overreacting when the subject of social media comes up. But only because I feel most aren’t aware of it’s risk and what it’s doing on a global scale."

What is it doing and why should anyone be concerned. The way I look at it is if the world's going to end it's going to end, and if it's because of social media so be it. Not that I'm a pacifist, but I think we all have something more immediate to worry about, like "the rent" as my Chicago West side buddy would put it. :p

It also kinda seemed like you were pointing the finger at @Muad'zin , which is fine, let that ssob have it! ;)

No idea how to do the individual quote thing so this may seem disjointed. Ill try to answer as best I can.

Sorry to disappoint but I'm a 6'2 200lb dude who's exactly twice the age of the woman in the Avatar. And it's not puppies over tail...due to family medical emergencies that happened simultaneously with no notice, I have been stuck in florida for what was supposed to be a three day trip, for well over a month now. I miss my family and my German shepherd back home terribly... Hence the appeal of Fractlaz (knew I had the spelling wrong) Avatar. Additionally, my day job frequently involves photographing beautiful woman so it doesn't move the needle as you would think...don't get me wrong... I'm a huge fan...but intent is everything.

Not sure how you drew the conclusion that I was "pointing the finger" at Maud'zin… I can only assume (never a good idea) it's because I stated a view that was contrary to what he said re Steve jobs...i.e from everything I've read or seen he was well known to be very anti social media. That's not an accusation or an indictment in any way of Muad'zin...it's civil discourse...which is how we (for the most part) used to communicate with each other. Having a different view doesn't make someone evil...you like pointy guitars, I like curvy guitars (although I did have one of the very early RR Jackson's that you would have loved) neither of us are right or wrong...yet people now draw lines in the sand at the drop of a hat over anything.

Re social media, it's a difficult thing to answer completely and keep it short... trust me I've tried. I cant imagine anyone would want to read something that long.

Back
Top Bottom