Cutaway acoustic recommendations?

JohnT

I'm in need (er, have GAS) for a cutaway acoustic/electric. I currently have a Seagull S6 Spruce, but it's not a cutaway, and I increasingly find myself playing acoustic stuff further up on the fretboard. I want a deep cutaway that provides access the the 17th fret and beyond.

The problem is, I now see so many guitars in my price range (up to $1K) that I don't know where to start. Anyone have any recommendations? This is the most knowledgeable group around, so figured I'd ask here. Thanks!

I've become a big fan of Breedlove guitars. I tried Takamine, Martin, Yamaha and Seagull in the same price range and the Breedlove came out decidedly on top. You can find some made in USA models for around $1k but even their import series are very good guitars and well worth the money. They used to be called the Atlas series (if you can find an Atlas Plus they're fantastic for the money) now looks like they're the Stage and Solo series guitars. Great necks, electronics and all around well crafted instruments.

I was thinking about a Taylor, but started reading about Breedlove based on this recommendation, and after reading a few reviews and the basic info I ordered a Solo with 25% off coupon. Bit of an impulse buy, as I wasn't planning on pulling the trigger on an acoustic for a few more months, but I have a feeling it will be a step up from the Takamine I've been playing. If not GC has a pretty decent return policy going for them.

Why are you playing above the 12th fret? Nobody wants that jive! ;)

Yamaha is incredibly hard to beat. I’d start there.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your recommendations. Definitely a lot to go on. I've seen some very appealing Yamahas and Taylors in this range, for sure. I need to look further into Breedlove--it sounds like a great guitar for the money.

Looks like the guitar I ordered last night at 25% discount is back ordered even though it said in stock and ready to ship. I called and found that it was the old model and they won't get another one in. He offered the newer one for 15%, but I decided to cancel. A little bummed, but I play electric a whole lot more, so I don't really need another acoustic. I'll probably try again in a few months... just gotta wait and see.

I called and found that it was the old model and they won't get another one in. He offered the newer one for 15%, but I decided to cancel. A little bummed, but I play electric a whole lot more, so I don't really need another acoustic.

I hate when that happens...I wish these places would keep their sites updated. I'm the same as you, play electric a whole lot more, but I do tend to play acoustic a lot in the summer out on the porch.

After much (too much) consternation, this is what I got. The Deluxe model. Just placed the order...will have it next week!

Thanks again everyone for all of the insightful recommendations.
Previous singer we were working with used a 214CE and it sounded fantastic. He beat the crap out of it too and it took everything he threw at it without a problem.

Well. I received my new Taylor 214ce DLX from Sweetwater yesterday, and I just don't know what to think. This finish/grain is...odd. When I first opened it, I thought immediately it was damaged, but it's actually sort of the grain underneath the finish. My wife thinks it looks unique, but I still can't get over the fact this looks like B stock (and it is NOT B stock...full price). It does play like an absolute dream, right out of the box, but I'd love to get your opinions on the look of this thing:

20180726_082103 (Small).jpg 20180726_082108 (Small).jpg 20180726_082124 (Small).jpg

By the way, evidently my cat is not very impressed, either:

20180726_081959 (Small).jpg

That figuring in the spruce top, is known as "bear claw" and can be considered desirable by some. It's a personal opinion thing, kind of like quilt maple. My Taylor 414ce has some bear claw in the top as well.

That figuring in the spruce top, is known as "bear claw" and can be considered desirable by some.

Don't I feel dumb! I wasn't aware of this condition. Reading more about it now--thanks for the information. I actually like what I'm reading about this wood.

I'll have to let my cat know.

Back
Top Bottom