Fremen Q7.02 presets

Hi Fremen - I’m interested in the 5 Scenes pack. Quick question - are they tweaked for bedroom levels or live performance? I play through bedroom monitors (Genelecs) at low volumes. If your presets are mixed for live, what changes would be necessary for bedroom volumes?

Thanks Gilesy

The only adjustments I may do when I play live is to the global EQ, depending on the FOH sound and the venue acoustics. Generally, I just select my main rhythm preset which has a looper, loop a 15 second riff with some palm muting on the low strings alternating with chords in the higher register, then I go to the FOH mixer to listen to it. Then I may adjust the sound there, or on the global mixer of the AXE. Most of the time, adjustments are needed only when the FOH speakers sounds like poo (and it's often the case here in Mauritius)

Hey buddy, just throwing it out there...Would you consider making preset packs (Axe FX II) for playing live with a matrix poweramp and 4x12 cab? Even "workhorse" presets to grab and go in a live situation? Rock, hard rock, 80's, metal, clean, etc. That kind of thing for gig volume or whatever. I had presets set up for this years ago and I don't get time for anything anymore! I'd be down for paying for that no problem. I'm betting there'd be quite a few others as well. (I could be wrong though)

Hey buddy, just throwing it out there...Would you consider making preset packs (Axe FX II) for playing live with a matrix poweramp and 4x12 cab? Even "workhorse" presets to grab and go in a live situation? Rock, hard rock, 80's, metal, clean, etc. That kind of thing for gig volume or whatever. I had presets set up for this years ago and I don't get time for anything anymore! I'd be down for paying for that no problem. I'm betting there'd be quite a few others as well. (I could be wrong though)
Just turn off cab and power amp modeling on the presets that @fremen has already made, and you’re good to go. Any tweaks beyond that would depend heavily on which 4x12 cab you’re actually playing.

Just turn off cab and power amp modeling on the presets that @fremen has already made, and you’re good to go. Any tweaks beyond that would depend heavily on which 4x12 cab you’re actually playing.

That's actually what I've been doing for quite a while now. I still find that the Fletcher Munson effect is prominent though. Presets that are awesome at low volume start losing the "feel" as the volume is increased (to my perception at least, and I use a Vintage 30 cab so it starts to get harsh) I don't use FRFR so I have no reference as far as what volume does for Fremen's presets. If I'm lucky I get to play an hour or two a month. I've spent 30 years tweaking and honestly I'm tired of it...I just want to grab a couple knobs and that's it. Also why turn off the poweramp modelling when using the matrix?

Fremen’s presets work great at gig volume. If your cab is harshing out, try pulling down 4 KHz in the amp’s GEQ.

And yeah, if you’re using a solid-state amp (I missed that detail), you’ll probably want to keep power amp modeling on.

Last edited:
Fremen’s presets work great at gig volume. If your cab is harshing out, there try pulling down 4 KHz in the amp’s GEQ.

And yeah, but if you’re using a solid-state cab (I missed that detail), you’ll probably want to keep power amp modeling on.

Thanks. Will give the GEQ a try next time. And yeah Matrix Gt1000FX with a Marshall V30 4x12 cab. I keep the poweramp modelling on, cab sim off

Rex already said it all :)

That being said, I have ideas for my future Axe-Fx III presets, to make each of them usable both for FRFR and real guitar cabinet users. I'll systematically put the "cab" block (in stereo mode) in the end of the grid, and on the parallel line, just before the "send" block used to feed a real cabinet through output 2, I'll put a global EQ block, for fine tuning purposes, depending on the cab used/acoustic of the venues. One global block for my clean presets, another for the gainy ones should be enough. Can't wait for the III ! It's not for soon though, I'm in 1st February on the waiting list.

Btw, after trying other setups live (a Bogner Atma in 4CM with another product last week-end, and a few months ago, another digital processor, because I want to test everything I have in live conditions), I'm definitely going to use either the Axe-Fx or the AX8 again for all my next live gigs. It's just what works/feels/sounds best for me. Not being able to open a tube amp volume on stage is frustrating (the Bogner is only 18 watts but with the volume above 2, it was too loud, according to the FOH engineer)

I added 5 new presets in the "Metal & Brit" pack, with the new amp models in Q10.01. Here's a short demo :

And in case you missed it - it's in the Q10.00 thread - here's my first test of Quantum 10 :

After I published that video, I got many questions regarding the "TDR Looper lead" preset, here's an old video from 2012 where I'm using its first version. I'm tweaking the delay block in real time to achieve the "haunting echoes" effect

writtten a little solo for a song in a cover band. Using Fremen's Supremo Trem 5 Scenes amp sim and from Ownhammer's amazing cab pack: "412 MRBW GNR M25" from the Core Mixes the MRBW Med OH3F-M+ ir. What a smooth and lovely tone. For rhythm I used scene 2 and lead scene 4. Mind you I turned the delay a bit up :D what an amazing tone.

Fremen's Class-A 30W from his 5 scenes preset pack. I left everything as is but did put the "Tape Dist" drive block between amp and cab block which gives it a very sweet and nice compressed tone.

Back
Top Bottom