AX-8 10.00 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please post the preset.
Here ya go. I have scene controller 1 connected to the Amp block Input Drive and scene controller 2 connected to the Amp block master volume. I also have Ext 4 controlling delay 1 feedback and mix.

Also experiencing the same lag when going up and down through my presets.

Attachments

• Killer of Giants.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Here ya go. I have scene controller 1 connected to the Amp block Input Drive and scene controller 2 connected to the Amp block master volume. I also have Ext 4 controlling delay 1 feedback and mix.

Also experiencing the same lag when banking up and down through my presets.
Confirmed.

Curiously, the lag between scenes is not consistent. For example, it takes less time to switch from Scene 1 to Scene 4 to Scene 6 than it takes to switch directly between Scene 1 and Scene 6.

Confirmed.

Curiously, the lag between scenes is not consistent. For example, it takes less time to switch from Scene 1 to Scene 4 to Scene 6 than it takes to switch directly between Scene 1 and Scene 6.
If I replace the Drive block with a Shunt, scene switching returns to normal speed.

Confirmed.

A couple more observations:

1) The issue appears to be at least somewhat CPU-related. If I get rid of less-CPU-intensive blocks, the scene switching speed gets better incrementally, until the issue disappears below about 50% CPU. But I can also get the issue to disappear completely by just removing the Drive block, which leaves me at 69%.

2) This preset takes significantly longer to load than do other presets that aren't experiencing the issue.

1) The issue appears to be at least somewhat CPU-related. If I get rid of less-CPU-intensive blocks, the scene switching speed gets better incrementally, until the issue disappears below about 50% CPU. But I can also get the issue to disappear completely by just removing the Drive block, which leaves me at 69%.

2) This preset takes significantly longer to load than do other presets that aren't experiencing the issue.
I had a similar issue with control switches creating tuner and slow UI Issues. Just removing the modifier that set the control switch up fixes it. I didn’t have to remove any blocks or anything.

Anyone else noticed some lag and weird behavior going up and down through presets? The firmware sounds great by the way and my presets that don’t contain scene controllers the scene switching is fine. FYI.

I had a similar issue with control switches creating tuner and slow UI Issues. Just removing the modifier that set the control switch up fixes it. I didn’t have to remove any blocks or anything.
In @bishop5150 's preset, removing one scene controller fixes most of the lag. Removing both of them fixes all of it. It doesn't matter what order you remove them in.

Anyone else noticed some lag and weird behavior going up and down through presets? The firmware sounds great by the way and my presets that don’t contain scene controllers the scene switching is fine. FYI.
It depends on the preset. In my current bank, Killer of Giants takes longer to load than any of the other presets — if you go by AX8-Edit. If you go by your ears, it loads pretty darn quick. But it takes longer to switch out of Killer of Giants and into another preset.

Last edited:
Guys, I am on vacation now, so I am in no position to update. I am so impressed with everything going on here.

All you early adopters that take the time to update, investigate and report errors. The beta team, @chris, @Rex and others that make significant efforts to understand and explain the cause of the bugs. And by no means least, @FractalAudio. I cannot remember any other firmware for the AX8 with this many beta versions and varied kinds of bugs. It really shows that this is a massive rewrite of the AX8 code, it's no simple port. This bodes well for the future of the unit.

Thanks to all you guys. I can't wait to play with this in a week.

Guys, I am on vacation now, so I am in no position to update. I am so impressed with everything going on here.

All you early adopters that take the time to update, investigate and report errors. The beta team, @chris, @Rex and others that make significant efforts to understand and explain the cause of the bugs. And by no means least, @FractalAudio. I cannot remember any other firmware for the AX8 with this many beta versions and varied kinds of bugs. It really shows that this is a massive rewrite of the AX8 code, it's no simple port. This bodes well for the future of the unit.

Thanks to all you guys. I can't wait to play with this in a week.

I second this. I love getting to try public beta's and this one has been the most intense I can remember. Really looking forward to trying it when I get home tomorrow.

It's not over until the fat lady sings, I'd say. Let's see how the firmware stability evolves. This attempt to squeeze the Ares architecture into the AX8 might as well show the limts of what can be achieved with the existing platform. Even Cliff mentioned that there's zero support coming from AD which forces him to work around compiler bugs.

Edit: I'm a firmware developer myself and therefore notoriously pessimistic.

Last edited:
Great detective work from the guys in this thread
Knowing that 90% of the cause is the scene controllers and sending Cliff
Multiple presets should aid in a solution so the AX8 owners can enjoy the faster switching and new
Ares modelling

... I am so impressed with everything going on here. .. All you early adopters that take the time to update, investigate and report errors. The beta team, @chris, @Rex and others that make significant efforts to understand and explain the cause of the bugs. And by no means least, @FractalAudio. I cannot remember any other firmware for the AX8 with this many beta versions and varied kinds of bugs. It really shows that this is a massive rewrite of the AX8 code, it's no simple port. This bodes well for the future of the unit. .. Thanks to all you guys. ...

Well said; I think your post represents how many of us feel. Much appreciation for all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom