Mackbook Pro "?" Question

Yep. It was a significant improvement on mine as well. I got two more years out of my 2011. I just replaced it with top end 15” MacBook Pro about two months ago. Although I’m still using a 2012 MacBook Air for AxeEdit duties.

Only two more years? That doesn't seem like much, is it still going? What's the difference between the Air and the Pro? Is it that the Pro is more music oriented?

My 2011 was a 15” MacBook Pro. It was running fine and was still usable and was still fast enough to handle everything I threw at it. I upgraded because I wanted to upgrade not because I had to. It’s still being used by the person I sold it to.

I also have a MacBook Air that I use exclusively for AreEdit. I would not advise you to buy an Air as Apple hasn’t refreshed that model in quite awhile.

It really is a matter of what you want to spend. $200 or so for an SSD to upgrade and extend the life of your old Mac or spend $1300 for a 13” MacBook Pro or up to $2800 for a new 15” MacBook Pro.

Last edited:
While Apple support is pretty great, when I have a problem, I just take the product to their store and make it their problem. I paid for the privilege, and Apple is unique in that it:
  1. Has stores all over the place
  2. Can't kick the can down the road to some other company, because they make the entire widget
So schedule a slot, take it to the store, and let them deal with it. A few days later you'll have your computer back, good as new. Non-Apple customers have this learned helplessness due to useless, cheapest available tech support that's pain in the ass and never fixes anything. That is not the case with Apple.

Whenever I read one of these Apple threads I feel like I've accidentally stumbled into a cult meeting. I really should learn not to click on them. There is no good here. :p

Last edited:
Whenever I read one of these Apple threads I feel like I've accidentally stumbled into a cult meeting. I really should learn not to click on them. There is no good here.

From time to time I have the same impression independent of the thread I'm reading. Unfortunately it's somehow entertaining and addictive at the same time. ;)

While Apple support is pretty great, when I have a problem, I just take the product to their store and make it their problem. I paid for the privilege, and Apple is unique in that it:
  1. Has stores all over the place
  2. Can't kick the can down the road to some other company, because they make the entire widget
So schedule a slot, take it to the store, and let them deal with it. A few days later you'll have your computer back, good as new. Non-Apple customers have this learned helplessness due to useless, cheapest available tech support that's pain in the ass and never fixes anything. That is not the case with Apple.

A post so nice it should be posted twice, the haters still won't notice it though :rolleyes:. Thanks plexi59, do you think I'll have to drop it off or wait for it?

Likely yes, you'll need to wait for a few days. It's pretty quick though. The only Mac-related problem I ever had was a bit of fan whine on my iMac years ago. They took it in, and about 4 days later I picked it up with no fan whine.

Hey thanks again @plexi59 . Yeah this is the first time I've had a real issue with my Mac since I bought it 7 years ago. Other problems were just trivial. My friend said I might be able to fix it using Time Machine but I thought I was responsible for keeping that up to date, no? Which I haven't done anything with, he says it runs itself.

You also might want to try reinstalling the OS from the internet (see Apple website for how to trigger that during system startup). If your disk is not busted, this will preserve your data. This could just be bit rot somewhere, and if that's the case an OS reinstall should fix it.

Back
Top Bottom