Mackbook Pro "?" Question

gigawatt

Experienced
Doing my usual routine surfing web, posting on forum, editing pics, listening to iTunes, having 30 tabs open and bam... freeze, spinning pinwheel, and it won't go away! So I hit the restart button and have to close everthing running, it shuts down, and goes into its startup routine. Except this time I get what looks like a folder in the middle of the screen, about an inch wide, with a ? in the middle, and it's flashing.

Has this ever happened to you? So I got on the phone with Apple support, (they answered very quickly) and told them my problem. I first talked to Fay, she had a lovely voice with just a hint of a southern accent. We ran some tests to see if the startup disk was working right and apparently it isn't. The Apple HD (or whatever it is idk) can't read the startup disk. At this point I should mention this Macbook is a late 2011 model running OSX Lion. Fay had me do a restart again pressing Command and R while starting up to show what's going on and to reinstall Lion. I already knew this was going to take 45 minutes because I previously talked to Igor at Guitar Center (the place I bought the Mac) and he had me do the same thing, but was no longer available after the restart so I called Apple.

After another 45 min restart with Fay, (she gave me her number :D and told me to call back when the restart is done, and also gave me instructions how to reinstall Lion. I tried it but to avail, the window box where startup disk was supposed to be was empty, and the Apple menu only displays "Startup Disk, Restart, and Shut down," no System whatever. After completing Startup again I called Fay back :D, and Shannon answered, Shannon is a man :(. Anyway he wasn't much help except saying I have to bring it in so Apple can use an outboard drive and/or disc to start my Mac and reinstall Lion. Aaarrgg! :mad: Who knows how long that will take? Shannon said it could be an hour or I could be there all night! Geez, why did this happen? This is the first time I've had to bring it anywhere, it's been super dependable. At least I can still use the internet, but absolutely nothing else. Even spell check and auto correct are disabled :D, so if I've mispelled anything, good! and please forgive me for using all the right words ;).

So any of you Mac guru's know of anything I can do to save me a trip to the service station?

Thank you for your (Apple) support. :)

My experience with Apple Support is that they have been fantastic, but you do need to bring in your device from time to time. They have fixed hard drive issues for me, replaced a spring in my wife's really old iMac screen that made the screen fall forward a few other things. Yes, you have to book in, bring your device and usually wait a bit but they take care of you better than anyone else in the business IMHO.

Hey thanks much @Johan Allard :) , I was hoping to save a somewhat difficult journey to the Apple store but it's probably inevitable. I've had good experiences with their support too, and Fay ;). I had a question but forgot what it was, thank God I got the internet working at least...

That's a pretty old disk. If it isn't working right, replace it.

It sounds like your hard drive failed. You do have a Time Machine backup, right?

If you have to buy a new drive, get an SSD. They are getting pretty cheap now and it will really speed up that old Mac so much.

If you have not been backing up via time machine or other techniques, you may be in for a rough ride.......

It sounds like your hard drive failed. You do have a Time Machine backup, right?

If you have not been backing up via time machine or other techniques, you may be in for a rough ride.......

Unfortunetly I do not have a backup, I'll have to start my po*n collection all over again :(:(:(. Sreriously though (did I mention I don't jave auto correct or spell check either?) that would suck. But I have had the past sucked away from me more than once; I've been married, twice. o_O Single now with seventeen year old son and a 12 year old daughter I haven't seen in over 5 years. My what a lovely day here in the Windy City. ;)

Unfortunetly I do not have a backup, I'll have to start my po*n collection all over again :(:(:(. Sreriously though (did I mention I don't jave auto correct or spell check either?) that would suck. But I have had the past sucked away from me more than once; I've been married, twice. o_O Single now with seventeen year old son and a 12 year old daughter I haven't seen in over 5 years. My what a lovely day here in the Windy City. ;)
AAARGGGH....you’re my neighbor?!?!? City or suburb.....in any event , you can’t be too far from an Apple store..better check it out before things get worse.

(hugs)

AAARGGGH....you’re my neighbor?!?!? City or suburb.....in any event , you can’t be too far from an Apple store..better check it out before things get worse.

I spent most of my time in the Mount Prospect area, played gig in the Tri-State area and a few road trips with Battery. Lived in Wonder Lake for 5 years b4 moving to Chicago.

They scheduled (< is that how you spell it?) an appointment for next Wednesday in Evanston, about 5 miles north of me. If it gets worse I'll get a new one, I'm due I guess, or maybe a used one, hmmm. I wonder what they got on eBay......... ;) ahahahahah ahahahaha ahahahaha ah :confused:

Ruh roh... Messages have been loaded since I loaded this page!

Yes, the spinning beach ball of doom. Your just running old hardware, too little memory available, running 32 bit(16 bit?) everything is backlogging. time to upgrade.

You cannot upgrade hardware on a Mac, so you will have to buy a new or used one. ( I would go new)Figure out what you wanna run, how much memory you will need, double it and you should be good. You could try an external drive with your new one to save space on the hard drive.

He has 2011 Mac. You certainly can upgrade the hardware on that model. I had one and replaced the hard drive with an SSD and upgraded the memory.

It’s the newer ones that are not able to be upgraded.

Thank you very much for that piece of information Steve :). So are you saying I should keep it and have it looked at?

It would be better to buy a new one. But, sometimes budgets don’t allow for that. Your Mac can be upgraded and it will be faster.

However, you won’t be able to upgrade MacOS past High Sierra. Apple is obsoleting the 2011 MacBook Pro so the new Mojave OS won’t run on it so that is something to consider.

So it really comes down to what you can afford.

Yep. It was a significant improvement on mine as well. I got two more years out of my 2011. I just replaced it with top end 15” MacBook Pro about two months ago. Although I’m still using a 2012 MacBook Air for AxeEdit duties.

Back
Top Bottom