AX8 on bass at Budokan, Tokyo

Hey guys, quick report here from beautiful Japan. I’m on an arena tour all summer with a Japanese artist named Tsuyoshi Nagabuchi, and tonight and tomorrow we’re at the famed Budokan in Tokyo. Such an incredible experience to play here, and all around this amazing country.

I’m using my AX8 on bass (front and center in the pic), and it’s working beautifully. I’ve been using it to craft a bass tone like I might in the studio, with dual parallel signal paths inside the AX8: a direct signal with a very modest boost in the low 40Hz range, and then an ‘amped’ signal path with the Fractal SVT amp into an Ownhammer Ampeg cab IR. Ratio between those two is about 60-40. Like I would in a studio mix, I’m getting all the definition and immediacy of the direct signal, and then the addition of the amp signal just makes it huge and burly, with just a touch of drive. Sound guy and artist are very happy, as am I. At some point, I’m happy to make a video with some sound samples.

I’m sure you guys know Pete Thorn, to my left in the picture. Been a joy and a blast touring with him, as well as our other guitarist from Japan, Ichiro. World-class players, both of them.

fcPNjQ2.jpg

Love hearing from you again Whynot! I hope you got to connect with the excellent folks at Okada/Intertune.

I sure did! I met Nao Yanagishima in Tokyo, who was incredibly nice. Not only that, but he contacted me shortly thereafter to ask me if I had a backup for my AX8 on this tour, which I did not. So he supplied one immediately, AND asked me which firmware I had on mine so that he could make sure the backup was matched. How's that for service??

Clearly Pete hasn’t been bitten by the FAS bug. Yet... ;)

Well ya know, probably less incentive to use amp modelers when you have your own signature Suhr amp, haha.

BUT, Pete Thorn has actually used Fractal quite a bit — he used an Axe-FX II exclusively on a tour with Melissa Etheridge, and also used it on some of his new solo record that just came out. He’s a fan of the company and of the stuff they make. And he’s DEFINITELY inspired me to make some videos :)

Man, what a great gig and sounds like an amazing band to be a part of! Pete Thorn has made me drop so much money on pedals throughout the years... They sound so good on his videos, but then I get them and it still sounds like me!!

Love to see a video...we're all big fans of Pete here. Would also like to check out your bass preset...there have been a few but not many bass presets shared here.
Have fun!

Recently took my first bass gig and I'm planning on using my AX8. Currently working on learning the song catalog and then I need to start working on my tones. I'm bumping this hoping @Whynot Jansveld will share some more about his setup.

Back
Top Bottom