Can I use my Egnater Renegade Footswitch with the Axe-Fx III?

Tumatauenga

Inspired
So my III is in the mail and should be here by Friday. This is my first foray into the modeling world, I'm a bit nervous about the price tag, the expenses down the road for foot-switches, FRFR cabinets etc etc if I decide to gig out with it, but I'm pretty excited! I record quite a bit in my basement, and I always feel like I'm short-changing myself on tone since I can't really crank my tube amp with small kids sleeping upstairs.

I was wondering what I'm going to do for control while we wait for the footswitches to become available, and aside from sending it MIDI signals from Pro-Tools, it crossed my mind that there might be a possibility of connecting up my 4 button Egnater footswitch in order to change presets and scenes up/down? Obviously it's not really a long term solution, but I thought it could give me some control while jamming with the band in the basement. The footswitch connects to my Egnater via two TRS cables.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? I'd hate to connect it up and damage something. One thing that gives me pause is the fact that there are LED's on the footswitch, could they cause issues?

This particular footswitch has extra switches that control whether fx loop/reverb/boost only affects CH1, CH2 or both. I realize that I'd most likely have to leave those in the center position otherwise strange things might happen with scenes / presets changing unexpectedly when pressing the channel switch button.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have. Here's what the footswitch looks like:

http://www.egnateramps.com/products/Gallery/Renegade/pages/image19.html

Last edited:
I tried to do a little bit of research on your footswitch, but it's hard to find a wiring diagram. It looks like you have dual TRS outputs on the Egnater, however.

It's relatively easy to connect Tip-Sleeve (TS) footswitches into the back of the AxeFxIII and assign them. I have done this with two re-purposed momentary TS pedals intended to be sustain pedals for a keyboard. You can map them to various functions like a tuner engage or Scene Up/Down.

Manual doesn't say much on how a TRS type momentary or latching switch might be connected. AxeFxIII might think it's an expression pedal and not a switch... not sure.

I tried to do a little bit of research on your footswitch, but it's hard to find a wiring diagram. It looks like you have dual TRS outputs on the Egnater, however.

It's relatively easy to connect Tip-Sleeve (TS) footswitches into the back of the AxeFxIII and assign them. I have done this with two re-purposed momentary TS pedals intended to be sustain pedals for a keyboard. You can map them to various functions like a tuner engage or Scene Up/Down.

Manual doesn't say much on how a TRS type momentary or latching switch might be connected. AxeFxIII might think it's an expression pedal and not a switch... not sure.

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to look into it. I guess it might as simple as hooking it up and seeing what happens, as long as there's no chance of damage...

Hmm, perhaps if the Axe III is expecting a TS switch there's a possibility that it will work, but only for the two buttons that use the Tip-Sleeve connection - leaving the two buttons that use the Ring non-functional?

Last edited:
Hmm, perhaps if the Axe III is expecting a TS switch there's a possibility that it will work, but only for the two buttons that use the Tip-Sleeve connection - leaving the two buttons that use the Ring non-functional?

I'd place my bet on this outcome...

I'd place my bet on this outcome...

Barring a UPS blowout I should have it in my hands this afternoon. I have gigs Fri/Sat/Sun so I'm not going to get a whole lot of time to play around, but I'll give it a nudge when I can and will update this thread with the results. Cheers!

If your footswitch has LEDs, it’s expecting to get power from the connection to the amp. The Axe-Fx III does not expect to supply power. The Axe expects to see nothing more than a dumb on-off switch. I wouldn’t expect it to work, and it could possibly damage something.

If your footswitch has LEDs, it’s expecting to get power from the connection to the amp. The Axe-Fx III does not expect to supply power. The Axe expects to see nothing more than a dumb on-off switch. I wouldn’t expect it to work, and it could possibly damage something.

Too late, tried it already. Two of the LED's lit up. Others were dim. No damage. Still didn't work however due to the reasons above.

Scratch the above - got it working by setting the Pedal type to Latching, works great now. I have two buttons, one for scene decrement and one for increment, until the FC's arrive! The other two buttons on the footswitch do nothing due to them being on the ring of the TRS connection, but I think I can manage like this for a while at least!

Back
Top Bottom