How to get the Tremolo in sync?

Yes I find it also a bit frustrating. If you want to do these tempo based effects the Axe fx runs a bit short. Especially if you see the huge potential that is in the box.

What I don't understand is why not all these tempo based effects start on the beat by default? Same goes for the sequencer and arpeggiator. Why would you want to start somewhere in the middle of the sequence pattern or wave cycle? That would make it less difficult and cumbersome to create these kind of patches. It doesn't sound good when not synced to the beat.
As far as I understand it the Axe FX doesn't listen to mdi start/stop messages which is how most devices do it I think, though I'm no expert I might be wrong about that. It's especially annoying when a £200 drum machine or synth will do it via midi but your £2500 axe fx won't!!

Yes I thought about doing this too. Will try that tomorrow. It's a bit cumbersome though. If we could set the gate time/ step length that would be better and much more flexible.
I agree it completely cumbersome. It reminds me of the kind of sequencer guitar pedals I specifically avoid cos you can't get the sequences lined up with the beat! What the use is that!?? (other than to make weird random texture things)

The way most step sequencers on DAW's or synths/drum machines do it is they have a gate time parameter which applies to every step and tie function for each step to join it to the next step - this is what I'd have expected to see on the Axe FX sequencer as well. It's much easier to work with. Again, I hope this is the case on the III :) All of this is pointless though if it's not synced to the downbeat.

Last edited:
The way most step sequencers on DAW's or synths/drum machines do it is they have a gate time parameter which applies to every step and tie function for each step to join it to the next step - this is what I'd have expected to see on the Axe FX sequencer as well. It's much easier to work with. Again, I hope this is the case on the III :) All of this is pointless though if it's not synced to the downbeat.

I agree. On the Axe fx sequencer when you have two following steps set to the same value you get a tie. It makes more sense to me if two steps with the same value would result in two separate note ‘attacks’. Having extra functions of gate and ties would make the sequencer much more flexible indeed.

As far as I understand it the Axe FX doesn't listen to mdi start/stop messages which is how most devices do it I think, though I'm no expert I might be wrong about that.

The Axe-Fx does not respond to MIDI Start/Stop.

It's especially annoying when a £200 drum machine or synth will do it via midi but your £2500 axe fx won't!!

For some reason people expect the Axe-Fx to do everything. It doesn't and doesn't claim to do so. It doesn't replace vry device out there, certainly no drum machines and synths.

Wow...this is cool...would you be so kind as to share the preset?

Thanks. I have attached the preset in post #12. It is not a finished preset. It was just to experiment with the sequencer, pitch and volume block. As you can hear in the video the pitch shifter can't catch up with the sustaining chords. Let me know if it works for you and when you come up with something cool because of this preset share it here if you will...

For some reason people expect the Axe-Fx to do everything. It doesn't and doesn't claim to do so. It doesn't replace vry device out there, certainly no drum machines and synths.

I don't expect it to replace a drum machine or synthesiser, I only mentioned it as a time-tested method of syncing up modulation effects to midi clock. My point was It's something that's been around for a long time (midi start/stop that is) and it's such a shame the axe doesn't do it. Again I'm not a programmer but its a fairly basic midi protocol. The Axe FX would make it a much more versatile FX box for me if it did this.

I see this has been implemented in the Axe FXIII since this last post and I presume the FM3.

Is anyone aware of a dedicated tremolo pedal that can do this?

Back
Top Bottom