Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 10.01 Firmware Release

I have stuck with 6.03 for a year and a half at this point. I was curious how 10.01 sounded so I did some comparisons between the two firmwares. For all the presets I had everything sounded more low mid focused and any light overdrive sounds were smoothed out in the highs/upper mids. Everything had a rounder texture to it. On some of my shreddy tones it was too glossy to me. I crafted a Shadows preset copying the meazzi tape delay and the tone was much more articulate with 10.01. However some of the grit was taken away. The 10.01 firmware made everything sound more in the room to me like a power amplifier/cab set up while recording direct. If I made new presets I would probably love 10.01, but 6.03 takes the edge for me because I spent so much time optimizing everything for that firmware. Looks like I may change firmwares depending on the type of tones I am looking for.

Maybe its just me. Its seems things are even more articulate. Needs start and stop on command I guess.
This firmware makes me want to keep the delay and reverb off if that makes sense lol
I agree with this statement. Seemed like it could back off the mix on my delay about 10% or more

A question was asked back on page 9 of this thread, but it didn't exactly get answered and I've now got the same question. What is the Spkr Drv page doing for us at this point? I clearly hear the Speaker Drive setting doing something. If you turn it up things get flubby as all hell. I'm not hearing the Speaker Comp doing much of anything though, same as deathbyguitar from page 9. What are these settings doing with the current firmware? I'm on 10.01 and I'm running FRFR. If you have Speaker Drive set to 0 is Speaker Comp doing anything? These settings were always a little confusing to me.

Was there ever an update on a fix for this?

Call me crazy but I think i may roll back to 9.04. I know there are improvements across the board but to my ears and purposes they're not massive. I really do appreciate Cliff and co. not forgetting about the older model users. Ever since i updated to the latest 10.01 my presets act erratically. I keep Axe Edit open while playing as i always have...not sure if its some overload somewhere with midi/usb. An example is that my wah suddenly engages and the values act as if there's an oscillator (if that makes sense). I can hear my mouse clicks over the Axe FX even though Axe is not acting as soundcard. this happens even on presets that aren't high on CPU use...75% +/- ;Anyhow, just gonna roll back where things sounded stellar and my equipment was behaving consistently. Anyone else have these problems?

Was there ever an update on a fix for this?

Works perfectly here, I have had 10.01 from the day it came out and have had zero problems. I use a wah and several other expression pedals/switches, and AxeEdit quite extensively. I'm guessing it's more than likely down to a faulty USB cable or something external rather than FW10.01.

I'm not convinced the problem is with the latest FW but probably something with my Axe Fx and/or USB cable which I'm gonna swap to see if that changes anything. Since the last two FW updates I've been noticing a lot of sounds like midi interference. I can hear clicking when i make any adjustments via Axe Edit. Was never there before and nothing else has changed on my computer/gear.

Either way I"ve stuck with 9.02/.04 whichever was the previous as the problem doesn't seem as exaggerated

The only bug i've had with this firmware has been 3-4 occasions where my volume level seem to dip to about 1/3 on changing a patch.
A restart of the axe fx fixes it though.

Hey guys just a quick question. I sometimes like to use some of the factory presets as a start.

Had some trouble with the (8p02 latest) factory banks and my "from scratch" presets going from Q8 to Q9 already.
So l rolled back to Q8 because almost all sounds got boomy, muddy and I did not want to retweak everything
I tried again with Q10, even re-copied the (8p02) facory presets...still boomy needs lots of bass adjustment.

People here claim though that no adjustments, resetting amp blocks are needed as in ealier versions, only if exclusively stated in the release notes which was not the case this time.

Any clue what I may have done wrong? Probably an old "overall" setting that still ghosts inside my axe ii? Is there an updated factory preset bank for Q10?
(using genelec 1030 and atomic clr for reference)

You could try 9.04 at least. It feels similar to 8.02 to me. YMMV.
Yes, 10.01 seems a bit darker in the upper highs. I guess it's gotten just more authentic there.

From the Fractal Wiki:
  • The BE C45 model, 2018 HBE and 2018 HBE C45 models were added in firmware Ares and Quantum 10.x.

Yup, thought this was a new model just released for the Axe FX III firmware, didn't know they hadn't that model yet.

Thanks.

I'm liking the 10.01 update. When I received my II+, I can't remember what it came with, but it sounded good, then I updated it since 9.04 was available, and suddenly it did not sound as good to my ears. The 10.01 release seems to have restored whatever it was that I thought it was missing.

Back
Top Bottom