Strictly home playing...FRFR cab vs studio monitors?

mmsim1

hey guys, I’m currently considering taking the plunge on an axe FX II, so I was trying to get all my ducks in a row before I commit to that big of a decision. I will strictly be playing at home as a hobby. No gigging whatsoever. Volume is the biggest issue. I’m looking for something that can be controlled down to lower volumes and still sounds good, but still able to be cranked up for those rare occasions. What do you guys recommend for someone in my situation? Thanks in advance!

I have great monitors with a sub, but still favor my clr for home playing, even at low volume

Just fills the room with sound and given its power, it has great punch.

Monitors sound good too, but just a bit more directional with a smaller sweet spot. Great to hear a stereo mix though.

Recording might be a possibility later on, but currently no plans on it. Right now it’s strictly recreational.

If I could only have either my Adam A5x's with my Sub8, or my CLR's and I only played at home. I'd pick the Adams any day. They're also my computer speakers, great monitors for recordings and sound great with the Ax8 or Axe Fx 2. Plus, most of the time at home I'm sitting in front of my computer playing along to backing tracks or learning songs using Guitar Pro or similar and I prefer having the sound coming out through the monitors that I'm facing. Also, if the option is one CLR vs two monitors, the monitors are stereo and that's nicer running some nice stereo delay and similar.

I prefer my CLR for home playing. It sounds great loud or at bedroom volumes.

On average, studio monitors will give you the most accuracy per dollar.

On the other hand, if you ever need true gig volume, studio monitors won’t cut it.

I'm not flexible enough to get a leg up onto my desk mounted Scepter s6's, but, I can easily put my foot on my CLR floor wedge

You should release your inner Janick Gers :), at my last Iron Maiden concert I was surprised how much time he spent in this pose:

C3H0JfgWgAIU6Vo.jpg

I started with monitors, and they sounded great.

Switched to DXR-10 - lost the stereo, but a much more satisfying sound for me

If you have no plans on playing live shows or jamming in a band in the near future, I would get studio monitors. Plus you can use them for general music listening, as well.

If you're looking for a recommendation, I have been using Equator D5's for a few years now and I love them. They don't have a ton of bass, but they sound excellent and are fairly inexpensive.

I began using Presonus monitors after doing some beta testing on other equipment with them. The Scepter S8 set I have is great all around, from listening to music, getting accurate recording monitoring, and playing guitar through the Axe FX. I have also been told the less costly Eris speakers do a great job.

You won't regret a good floor monitor, but I think you might get more use, at a potentially lower price point, from a good set of near/mid field studio monitors.

With a decent pair of studio monitors, you'll get as much cranked up volume as you need for home use. Especially something like the Sceptres, which are quite loud. You don't really need PA speakers that are loud enough to cover hundreds of people for when you're playing by yourself at home, not really the best fit in terms of other factors like size, price, etc.

What type of music do you play? I started with Adam A7X's and they were fine for clean/edge of breakup but I just couldn't get the punch/amp in the room thing when I cranked them for rock and metal. I went to Mission Gemini 2 and couldn't be happier. My advice is if you are playing heavier music and like to annoy the neighbors evaluate the non-monitor stuff like the Gemini/Friedman/CLR options - lots of good ones. Otherwise, go with monitors!

What type of music do you play? I started with Adam A7X's and they were fine for clean/edge of breakup but I just couldn't get the punch/amp in the room thing when I cranked them for rock and metal. I went to Mission Gemini 2 and couldn't be happier. My advice is if you are playing heavier music and like to annoy the neighbors evaluate the non-monitor stuff like the Gemini/Friedman/CLR options - lots of good ones. Otherwise, go with monitors!
It’s mostly more modern metal, 80’s metal, and blues. I think I’m leaning towards something like an alto ts12 or something similar, as long as the sound can be tamed, which from what I understand, it can be.

It’s mostly more modern metal, 80’s metal, and blues. I think I’m leaning towards something like an alto ts12 or something similar, as long as the sound can be tamed, which from what I understand, it can be.

Don’t assume that because most guitar speakers are 12” that a 12” PA speaker sounds best. There’s plenty of reports of people comparing Yamaha DXR10s and 12 and they prefer the 10s. All the sound generation happens inside the Fractal unit and you then get the best sound by having a flat response full range amplifier and speaker to amplify it. A 12” PA speaker is not necessarily it.

Also, it’s a big mistake buying the best modeller on the planet and then using the cheapest possible speaker listening through it, thinking that you’re going to get a good overall solution. Altos may not be the absolute cheapest but they are mostly cheap, not mostly good. For that kind of money, I’d get the Yamaha HS7s any day (it’s cheaper to get good monitors). I think playing at home, sound quality is even more important. If you’re playing in a band with a sound guy managing front of house speakers, something like an Alto will probably work better because you’re mostly there to perform and you need to hear yourself. But at home, when it’s just for your own enjoyment, you really need to make sure you enjoy it or what’s the point. For louder than monitors for use at home I’d only recommend either the Atomic CLR, any model from Xitone, or possibly the Friedman ASM/ASC or Matrix FR10 or 12. They will likely all make you happy but I wouldn’t bet on the Altos.

Those are all good points Johan. I respect the criticism completely. Monitors would probably suit me just fine, and if I ever did want anything louder, I could always buy something else. I’ll look into the Yamaha’s. Would I need to buy a pair of them?

Back
Top Bottom