Rack Suggestions for Axe-Fx III

Just realized my 4U deep rack cannot fit the cover over the Axe front handles.
Warning to some who thinks their rack for their II will fit their III.
If it’s a rotomolded rack, a little surgery will have the lid fitting with no problem.

Wow, thx.
What did you use to carve that?
I used a Dremel rotary tool with a disc for cutting plastic. You could use a small hand saw, a knife, or even a file, but the Dremel made quick work of it — about one minute per side.

I also used a file to round off the sharp edges. Another 30 seconds of work. :)

Last edited:
I used a Dremel rotary tool with a disc for cutting plastic. You could use a small hand say, a knife, or even a file, but the Dremel made quick work of it — about one minute per side.

I also used a file to round off the sharp edges. Another 30 seconds of work. :)
Friend had the tool.
The fix worked perfectly.
Love the wealth of knowledge here at the Fractal forum.
Thanks a million @Rex .

Friend had the tool.
The fix worked perfectly.
Love the wealth of knowledge here at the Fractal forum.
Thanks a million @Rex .
Score!

I still remember that satisfied feeling when I set down the Dremel, and the lid latched closed for the first time. :)

The people at Maytech Music Systems built me a 4U Shockmount Roller Rack and breakout panel that's been a true convenience for quick setup/breakdown. Mine has speaker post top hats for mounting an iPad to but you could save a little space by not having thoseDSC_4533.jpg . DSC_4519.jpg DSC_4520.jpg DSC_4521.jpg DSC_4527.jpg

I bought the SKB Studio Flyer because I wanted something I’d feel safe flying my Axe 3 in, that would also be light enough for me to schlep along to gigs in town, and as a bonus, it has a compartment on top that can harbor my wireless and cheap Acer laptop. Perfect!
The only problem is that once I get my Axe 3 racked in it, I notice that I forgot to account for the handles, doh! My first thought was to possibly make my own lid out of plywood, but that sounded like a lot of work for a project that might turn out janky. Is it a terrible idea to just take my Dremel to the inside of the lid where those handles are? (Maybe the buttons and knobs for good measure as well) I don't really care about affecting the resale value of the rack, I just don't know if that compromises the lid’s structural integrity to where it's no longer safe for the rack. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I added a photo for context:
C3C7B636-AEDF-4421-A452-2A9739775CD8.jpeg

I bought the SKB Studio Flyer because I wanted something I’d feel safe flying my Axe 3 in, that would also be light enough for me to schlep along to gigs in town, and as a bonus, it has a compartment on top that can harbor my wireless and cheap Acer laptop. Perfect!
The only problem is that once I get my Axe 3 racked in it, I notice that I forgot to account for the handles, doh! My first thought was to possibly make my own lid out of plywood, but that sounded like a lot of work for a project that might turn out janky. Is it a terrible idea to just take my Dremel to the inside of the lid where those handles are? (Maybe the buttons and knobs for good measure as well) I don't really care about affecting the resale value of the rack, I just don't know if that compromises the lid’s structural integrity to where it's no longer safe for the rack. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I added a photo for context:
View attachment 47954
I'be never seen one of these in person, so take this with a grain of salt:

The lid is pretty thin, and it looks like it may rely on both the front and pack panels for strength. I'd be hesitant to cut the panels.

You may be able to remove the Axe's handles without taking off its front panel. I'm not sure whether the Value knob will be an issue or not, though if the lid flexes at all, the knob is probably the first thing it will hit.

View attachment 47750 View attachment 47751 Ok, just received the shallow version of the SKB Roto 4U rack. Here are some pics to give you an idea how the unit with a power conditioner fits. Cables all close up nicely with the back lid. I prefer the smaller footprint.

About to buy this same rig in 6U any issues with the front lid and the handles on the Axe? You said there was enough room to close the cables up in the back. I'll have basically the same gear as you plus a 2U Matrix Amp. Thanks!

About to buy this same rig in 6U any issues with the front lid and the handles on the Axe? You said there was enough room to close the cables up in the back. I'll have basically the same gear as you plus a 2U Matrix Amp. Thanks!

Fits like it was made for it. With a 6U, you will have even more room for the cables. I just tuck the excess from the power cable in along the side. Totally out of the way. Lids on both sides fit great!

Back
Top Bottom