Help me mix. Mesa and Darkglass tones

ehgore1978

Hi just looking to get out of demo sounding mixing ha ha. Any help would be appreciated or comments Mesa preset playing through Hetfield Snakebyte EMGs bass is a SDGR bass with Darkglass patch Ive found around here. Bass sounds poo to me. Drums Superior 3 in Reaper

Being a newb at recording as well I would be very interested to hear what everyone's response would be. I think you need a little more high end. Maybe mastering is the key to making it pop?

I'm no pro myself, but one thing I've learned is that good high gain recorded tone tend to have a lot less gain than you might think. I usually dial the gain back until it doesn't sound cool anymore, and then push it back up just a hair. It's counterintuitive, but your guitar will sound way heavier with less gain to fizz your mix up. This makes double tracking work a lot better too.

Mesa's tend to have a ton of low end, which you'll probably want to eq out a bit. Maybe even put a high pass. Usually, you'll let the bass take care of the low end, and let the guitar do the cutting.

Your tones definitely sound a bit dark. I have this problem a lot too. I'll dial in a tone that I think sounds epic while I'm playing, but the minute I record it, it sounds way too dark. I'm not sure why this is. I think the acoustic sound of the guitar strings influence my ability to correctly hear the tone.

Also, for me personally - I just recently discovered this - when I'm playing I tense up my ears subconsciously for some reason. This makes the tones seem brighter. If I relax a bit, I can usually get a better sense of what I'm listening too. No idea if anyone else has that problem, or just me. lol

Cool riffs, btw! :)

Thanks . Ive definately high pass filtered. notched out 400hz aswell . Just that it doesnb't I cant explain... It doesnt JUMP out

How is your Graphic set on that Mesa preset? If the 700Hz. band is set to flat, try reducing it some or try the Mesa classic 'V' setting.

This is the Preset with the stock 4x12 recto cab. Hetfielld Snakebyte EMG 81

Attachments

• Mesa Boogie Mdrn.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom