Is it just something different or do cobalt strings sound GREAT?

Another reason I like Elixirs is that I hate changing strings, especially on 5 diff guitars. They are on the guitar so long that the rosewood or ebony fretboard gets dirty. So I use 0000 steel wool on the fretboard (after taping off the areas surrounding the neck, including the Magnetic pickups!) which also polishes the frets. Then I run a magnet over it all to pick up the steel wool tumbleweeds, and use Stew Mac's fretboard finishing oil, which dries like lacquer and doesn't stay greazy. Then the strings go onto a nice clean fretboard. So it's a bit of a "to do" process.

Thanks for the tips. I will check those out. I played DR Pure Blues before I switched to EB years ago. I switched because I felt the DRs broke too often. That's not the case with the Tite-Fits? (It could also have been that guitar, a Parker Night Fly)
I haven't had any problems with premature breakage with DR strings.

Another reason I like Elixirs is that I hate changing strings, especially on 5 diff guitars. They are on the guitar so long that the rosewood or ebony fretboard gets dirty. So I use 0000 steel wool on the fretboard (after taping off the areas surrounding the neck, including the Magnetic pickups!) which also polishes the frets. Then I run a magnet over it all to pick up the steel wool tumbleweeds, and use Stew Mac's fretboard finishing oil, which dries like lacquer and doesn't stay greazy. Then the strings go onto a nice clean fretboard. So it's a bit of a "to do" process.
If you change your strings when they're worn out instead of waiting until the fingerboard gets filthy, there's a whole lot less "to do." :)

Used used DR strings for a couple of years and the tite-fits sound and feel good, but I felt their useful lifespan was a little shorter than average. They just kind of dulled out faster than other strings.

If you change your strings when they're worn out instead of waiting until the fingerboard gets filthy, there's a whole lot less "to do." :)

My point was that the Elixir strings last soooo long that the fingerboard is dirty by the time they ware out. Besides, it feels like a new guitar with a smooth fretboard, frets, and fret ends when I'm done.:) As well as an oiled fretboard which is important with ebony. To quote one of the great ones; "I've changed more strings than you've had hot meals sunny boy!" Can you guess what that's from? :D It really goes like this: "I've been to more Gala luncheons than you've had hot meals sunny boy!" and; "Tungsten carbide drills?! What the bloody hell are tungsten carbide drills?" "They're mining tools father..." I guess ya gotta be inside my head o_O.

Back
Top Bottom