Is it just something different or do cobalt strings sound GREAT?

That was "Emily Latella," or however ya spell it.

Elixirs = +1

Personally, I like the slick feel. :)
The slickness on the high strings on the high frets gives me issues with bends. The strings will slip out of my fingertips. Not cool at live shows.

I have been using D'Addario 10s on my electrics for many, many years. I use Elixir 12s on my steel string acoustics. I have a Carvin AC275 that I string with Elixir 11s and I use that a lot to strengthen my helpless old fingers. After a good workout with the 11s, when I play the 10s they just feel effortless. I tried the Elixirs on electrics, but I have the same issue as @bishop5150. The strings seem to slip out from under my fingers on big bends, The D'Addarios have the right balance of feel and grip. To my ears, they have great tone. I have never tried the cobalts. Guess I'm just ruck in a stut.

My two cents. After playing for 40+ years, I developed a nickel allergy. Apparently, it's not uncommon. The whole side of my picking hand became insanely itchy, then it blistered, and then hugh chunks of skin peeled-off. It was disgusting. I started searching for an alternative to nickel/nickel-alloy strings and finally (thankfully) found the EB cobalts. They solved my allergy problem and I'm very happy with the sound and feel. They definitely sound brighter. They also bend properly (I had tried stainless steel stings but they were a bitch to bend.) I buy 3 packs from Amazon for about $30 -- seems very reasonable to me.

Really? Cobalts cost as much as Elixirs? The cheapest I could find was 6 sets for $61 on eBay.

The strings seem to slip out from under my fingers on big bends

I was talking about the (Elixir Nanoweb) wound strings; smooth. Never really noticed it with the plain strings… awe dammit, now I'm gonna be thinking about it :mad:. Elixir has a new string out called Optiweb;

https://www.elixirstrings.com/support/polyweb-nanoweb-optiweb-coatings

I guess they sound like KFC.

My two cents. After playing for 40+ years, I developed a nickel allergy. Apparently, it's not uncommon. The whole side of my picking hand became insanely itchy, then it blistered, and then hugh chunks of skin peeled-off. It was disgusting. I started searching for an alternative to nickel/nickel-alloy strings and finally (thankfully) found the EB cobalts. They solved my allergy problem and I'm very happy with the sound and feel. They definitely sound brighter. They also bend properly (I had tried stainless steel stings but they were a bitch to bend.) I buy 3 packs from Amazon for about $30 -- seems very reasonable to me.

Interesting. I tried a couple of set of cobalt's and each time my hands did exactly as you described. But even if that hadn't been the deal breaker, I found that they had a very short lifespan for me. Ultimately settled on elixirs and been happy ever since.

haven't tried the Cobalts.

I've been using Elixir Optiweb's 9-46 on my main 2 guitars and they are glorious.
(and pricey, but I only have to change them after 8-10 gigs and no breakage)

Don't know if it's cobalt or what, but I didn't like their tension on wide bends. Only GHS 9-46 feel "right" to me. They're like a fiver a pack, who cares how long they last.

Wait till you all try the Paradigms. Sadly they have me hooked at 2x plus cost, but at least I get about 3x the useful life out of them.

Interesting. I tried a couple of set of cobalt's and each time my hands did exactly as you described. But even if that hadn't been the deal breaker, I found that they had a very short lifespan for me. Ultimately settled on elixirs and been happy ever since.

I don't have anything to say here except agree, I just wanted to say I hope that's a female pictured in your avatar... o_O

I've been using Elixir Optiweb's 9-46 on my main 2 guitars and they are glorious.
(and pricey, but I only have to change them after 8-10 gigs and no breakage)

I haven't tried the Opti's yet, can you still tell they're coated or are they more like Clearsounds? I like the Nanoweb coating on the wound strings for its smoothness.

Last edited:
I don't have anything to say here except agree, I just wanted to say I hope that's a female pictured in your avatar... o_O

I haven't tried the Opti's yet, can you still tell they're coated or are they more like Clearsounds? I like the Nanoweb coating on the wound strings for its smoothness.

I haven't tried Clearsounds, so I can't compare.
I can tell that the Opti's are coated, but they feel smooth to me.

Wait till you all try the Paradigms. Sadly they have me hooked at 2x plus cost, but at least I get about 3x the useful life out of them.

Might be worth a try. I'm always open to trying things out. My impression of "plain" slinkys is they're brighter, and easier to bend, but high E string doesn't last very long in any of my guitars. Maybe they've fixed that in these.

Might be worth a try. I'm always open to trying things out. My impression of "plain" slinkys is they're brighter, and easier to bend, but high E string doesn't last very long in any of my guitars. Maybe they've fixed that in these.

My high E string is always the fist to go out too, regardless of string brand. I don't know why, but it goes out way b4 the others. It starts to have a sharp, tinny, really fast vibrato sound and sounds out of tune, very annoying. So I usually have several high E's on hand so I can change it out, usually EB's or whatever the store stocks.

My high E string is always the fist to go out too, regardless of string brand. I don't know why, but it goes out way b4 the others. It starts to have a sharp, tinny, really fast vibrato sound and sounds out of tune, very annoying. So I usually have several high E's on hand so I can change it out, usually EB's or whatever the store stocks.
I had that problem with EBs. I'm lazy about changing strings, so my deadly acid sweat always corroded the G-B-E strings. I always figured that tinny oscillating sound was from harmonic overtones caused by all the corrosion and dead skin on the string, lol. After switching to Elixirs, I never have that problem.

I started this thread out of surprise at how good my PRS SC245 sounded at home when I put EB Cobalt strings on it after playing EB skinny tops and heavy bottoms for years and years. But when I used it in the mix, I didn't really like it -- more of a harsher metallic sound than I was used to. (Part of that may be that I didn't adjust my presets and they are little off waiting for the AX8 update).

So since the NYXLs got good reviews here, I decided to try those on my main guitar, a strat. Again, I liked them at home, but didn't like them in the mix, finding them also more harsh and metallic. So now I am a bit newly awakened to the idea that maybe there is a better string for me. Optiwebs get some love here. Could those be a little more of what I am looking for? I play in a cover band, blues-rock, funk, pop, heaviest stuff is occasional Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Zeppelin, etc.

I went on a string search last year after using Dean Markley Blue Steels for over 10 years. I finally chose Curt Mangan Fusion Matched Nickel Wound. Close second was Rotosound Roto's (pink for my preferred gauge). After trying the nickel wounds, I found the Blue Steels to be similar to what you've described with the Cobalts; bright/metallic and harsh. The nickel wound seem to be much more balanced and sit in the mix great.

If you're looking for strings to check out, give DR Tite-Fits a try. I use them on almost everything. Sound-wise, they work well with just about any style or scale, and I like how they feel.

Thanks for the tips. I will check those out. I played DR Pure Blues before I switched to EB years ago. I switched because I felt the DRs broke too often. That's not the case with the Tite-Fits? (It could also have been that guitar, a Parker Night Fly)

Back
Top Bottom