Wah Block constantly flips between channel A and D

AtomicBlaze

Inspired
I tried using the wah block for the first time today and for some reason it constantly just changes between channel A and D. I am using the latest firmware. I disconnected the expression pedal and it still constantly changes channels.

I’ve never experienced this even with very early versions. Is there any midi or USB device connected? In the Setup - MIDI menus (Home page, Setup/E-Knob) is anything assigned to the Wah Channel entry?

I’ve never experienced this even with very early versions. Is there any midi or USB device connected? In the Setup - MIDI menus (Home page, Setup/E-Knob) is anything assigned to the Wah Channel entry?

Yes there was, I changed it back to none and the problem is fixed. Thanks.

Yes there was, I changed it back to none and the problem is fixed. Thanks.
curious what it was? and the answer to my other questions. you CAN have it set to something, but there just needs to be nothing sending that CC#.

curious what it was? and the answer to my other questions. you CAN have it set to something, but there just needs to be nothing sending that CC#.

I was basically trying to use the expression pedal on the Line 6 Helix to control the Axe-FX III wah using midi. I wasn't to sure how to set it up so I set the wah channel to pedal 1. I ended up getting it working but forgot to remove that wah channel setting. I also tried to reproduce the problem and I can't.

I was basically trying to use the expression pedal on the Line 6 Helix to control the Axe-FX III wah using midi. I wasn't to sure how to set it up so I set the wah channel to pedal 1. I ended up getting it working but forgot to remove that wah channel setting. I also tried to reproduce the problem and I can't.
If you assigned the CC to Wah channel, then that makes sense. The lowest value (0) would select A and the highest value (127) would select D.

If you moved the pedal very very slowly you could probably hit B or C, too...

The weird thing is even though I had it setup wrong, the Channel on the wah kept changing without any midi controller connected.

If I use the MIDI menus Wah Channel entry does that mean the Wah will always be controlled by that CC# automatically and I don't have to assign it in the block?

The weird thing is even though I had it setup wrong, the Channel on the wah kept changing without any midi controller connected.

Was this while "Pedal 1" was assigned as wah channel controller? Pedal 1 means the Pedal 1 port on the Axe-FX. It's possible (unless someone can confirm the Axe prevents this) a noisy reading from an unused pedal input could make a block switch channels randomly.

If I use the MIDI menus Wah Channel entry does that mean the Wah will always be controlled by that CC# automatically and I don't have to assign it in the block?

Changing a block's channel is different from controlling some parameter like wah frequency. So no, this won't automatically make a pedal control the wah sound in the usual fashion.

Are you also using Helixs stomps as controllers for III? I was curious how well that works, experimented with that with my xl when Helix first came out with limited success

Changing a block's channel is different from controlling some parameter like wah frequency. So no, this won't automatically make a pedal control the wah sound in the usual fashion.

So there is nothing that ties the Wah CC# to the Wah block unless you assign the Wah to a parameter in the block?

Last edited:
Are you also using Helixs stomps as controllers for III? I was curious how well that works, experimented with that with my xl when Helix first came out with limited success

It works great so far. The preset/bank changes work without any configuration you can set the numbering scheme in the Helix to match the Axe-FX III. I think the expression, snapshots and blocks need to be configured for each preset but it works. I haven't found a way to make them work globally. The command center editor in the Helix makes things very easy to configure. And I read that you can copy a command center from one preset to other presets, although I haven't done that yet. Additionally you can set it up so snapshots change scenes so they work great together. I also plan to use some of the effects and amp modeling in the Helix with the Axe-FXIII. So I can use some of the drives and amp models that the Axe-FX III doesn't have.

Was this while "Pedal 1" was assigned as wah channel controller? Pedal 1 means the Pedal 1 port on the Axe-FX. It's possible (unless someone can confirm the Axe prevents this) a noisy reading from an unused pedal input could make a block switch channels randomly.

Yes, it was while "Pedal 1" was assigned as a wah channel controller. I think my wah block got stuck in some weird state regardless of what preset I put a wah block in it would toggle the Channel the same way. When I changed the wah channel back to None it fixed the problem, and I could not reproduce the problem by changing it back to "Pedal 1".

So there is nothing that ties the Wah CC# to the Wah block unless you assign the Wah to a parameter in the block?
The Wah CC would be for Bypass, the Wah Channel CC would be for changing channel, the Controller CC (of choice, pedal or external) would be assigned to "sweep" the Wah (a modifier attached to the Control parameter).

Last edited:
Yes, it was while "Pedal 1" was assigned as a wah channel controller. I think my wah block got stuck in some weird state regardless of what preset I put a wah block in it would toggle the Channel the same way. When I changed the wah channel back to None it fixed the problem, and I could not reproduce the problem by changing it back to "Pedal 1".
The Pedal controllers seem to have a certain glitchy behavior when nothing is plugged in.

It's recommended to set things using them to None or one of the External controllers instead.

Back
Top Bottom