Best Wishes For Cliff on His Upcoming Spinal Surgery!

Is there a fan mounted under that plate?

They really shouldn't show graphic diagrams like that .... I much prefer a doc saying 'Oh we just graft a tiny bit of your hip bone in between a couple of those knobbly things in your neck ... you'll be sleeping while it happens and absolutely fine afterwards ... up and about in no time'.

Best wishes

Damn, so sorry to hear Cliff! I too had this procedure, including them harvesting some of my hip bone, which I chose instead of cadaver bone. My hip hurt tons more post-op than did my neck. I did have to wear the hard collar for a month, and the scariest incident after this procedure, was when the site swole and really freaked me when I could barely swallow. Some ice chips on the exterior saved the day, reducing swelling. Only sharing this much in case you get surprised by a collar, when you wake from the procedure. Oh, we also purchased an electrically controlled recliner specifically for post-op, and it saved the day. I slept in it for the first month.

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery!

Lee

We are lucky to live in a time when procedures like this are possible.
Nothing in the world means much when you are feeling relentless pain , day after day.
Hope you recover quickly and feel better Cliff.

A good friend of mine had the same surgery years ago and came through with flying colors. He said the worst part was the bone graft from the hip. He also happens to be a really talented drummer and still plays like Johnny Hammersticks post surgery.

See if they can put a Fractal logo on the plate - would make for a cool x-ray! Sounds like you're in good hands all the way around. Best wishes and Godspeed Cliff.

Last edited:
Cliff, I had C4, C5, C6 fused with spacers Nov. 13, 2017 , with alot of grinding to the bones. I was out of work for a month, which I do alot of lifting 28 ft ladders. I wasn't allowed to lift them for about 2 months after. Still healing now with a little pain in neck, worst thing to me so far has been the lumps in your throat feeling for a while which comes and goes, and makes eating a little different. But to be honest it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be and my neck was messed up pretty bad. I still have nerve damage in my right arm/hand but I waited way too long to have it done. I got 3 titanium plates with 6 screws. I was walking about 30 minutes after I woke up from surgery and released next day. Just remember take it slow you will be weak for a while. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom