What does lukather do here?

calleballe11

Experienced
Hey benders!
Was watching one of my old favourite concerts Toto live in Paris 1990 and remembered that I've always been curious what Luke does more specifically at one point. My guess is some kind of increase in his whole wet signal but the amount it increases is so perfect, anyone know?

Its at exactly 21:00 minutes into this clip:

Cheers

Sounds exactly as you mentioned ...the whole 'wet' signal gets increased by his volume pedal....can be easily done with the Axe....attach to the input signal of the pitch detune / chorus , delays / reverb your expression pedal.....input setting can vary from 0-100 or a fixed place like 60-100 on the min - max settings...hope it makes any sense :D

BTW : awesome concert ...this was huge inspiration for the band i was playing in that time ...good old times !!
Thanks for posting :)
:):):)

His tone was so perfect it defies description. But hey, that's Steve Lukather and that's kind of what he does.

There's a lot of Bob Bradshaw rack wizardry going on there.

Sounds exactly as you mentioned ...the whole 'wet' signal gets increased by his volume pedal....can be easily done with the Axe....attach to the input signal of the pitch detune / chorus , delays / reverb your expression pedal.....input setting can vary from 0-100 or a fixed place like 60-100 on the min - max settings...hope it makes any sense :D

It would be really nice if you could describe that more in detail :D

Here it is...try out the preset :
- Expression pedal is attached to Ext 2 , to the Input Gain of the Pitch block & Delay block
- I start playing dry ( Expression pedal on minimum ) and then I go towards 50 - 100% max .....ending is dry again

Just a random amp + cab block, played with single coil Fender Strat....

Attachments

• LUKATHER FX STYLE.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 81
Ok, now I'm going to get nerdy again...

Basically, he has pitch/detune and reverb that are always on. He also has two multitap delays and a dual stereo chorus that he can add on top of that. Before 21:00, he already has one of the delays engaged. At 21:00, he adds the second delay on top of that. He does this via a on/off switch on his midi controller, not a volume or expression pedal (Lukes volume pedal has always been controlling just th overall volume).

If you want to hear how it sounds like when he adds more modulation (in other words, the chorus) on top of a lead tone, listen at 40:22. You can also hear him switch it on at 32:36, then off again at 32:46. Same thing again but with a rhythm tone, on at 31:09, off at 31:14. I have to admit, it's kind of hard to tell if the chorus is on or off during I'll Be Over You, but I'm fairly certain he doesn't switch it on in the middle. It's either on or off the whole solo, since I can't hear the telltale sign of the stereo spectrum shifting when it engages.

I'll leave this link here so you can toy around with the different sounds yourselves:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/steve-lukather-soldano-x88r-preset.108330/

Can you please recommend software that will allow me to isolate a guitar track from recorded music? I know, that's a noob questions, but I've never really had cause to do it.

I have here a rather rare CD, Booker T. Jones and the Runaways, which features Steve Lukather going nuclear for an extended solo on one track. Since the other instruments are laid back in the track it's the clearest recorded example of Luke's late 80s tone I've ever heard.

Extracting that guitar track and using tone match should be productive.

Can you please recommend software that will allow me to isolate a guitar track from recorded music? I know, that's a noob questions, but I've never really had cause to do it.

I have here a rather rare CD, Booker T. Jones and the Runaways, which features Steve Lukather going nuclear for an extended solo on one track. Since the other instruments are laid back in the track it's the clearest recorded example of Luke's late 80s tone I've ever heard.

Extracting that guitar track and using tone match should be productive.

Well, you can't really extract a guitar from mix clearly if there are other sounds as well. Audio files don't work that way. The best way is to find source material where the guitar is playing by itself. Either on records, or live bootlegs where the audio is straight from the soundboard.

Certain software, like Transcribe!, has karaoke functions, but those are only good for removing stuff in the middle of the stereo spectrum. Unfortunately, that's where leads usually are placed.

This particular recording is rather rare and was a studio recording and to the best of my knowledge Steve never toured with Booker just to play one solo per concert. So that's all I have to work with.

Here it is...try out the preset :
- Expression pedal is attached to Ext 2 , to the Input Gain of the Pitch block & Delay block
- I start playing dry ( Expression pedal on minimum ) and then I go towards 50 - 100% max .....ending is dry again

Just a random amp + cab block, played with single coil Fender Strat....

THX ;-)

I was so disappointed to find out that that preset doesn't run on a II. It needs at least an XL.
here are the screen shots for the preset,thanks to @Anand Mahangoe for sharing the preset.

Amp.png
Amp.png
Cab.png
Drive.png
Pitch.png
Delay.png

better quality images here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gd9zwcaq065euhn/AADgWAsutHfL5PsKqHhR0dlAa?dl=0

Last edited:
Ok, now I'm going to get nerdy again...

Basically, he has pitch/detune and reverb that are always on. He also has two multitap delays and a dual stereo chorus that he can add on top of that. Before 21:00, he already has one of the delays engaged. At 21:00, he adds the second delay on top of that. He does this via a on/off switch on his midi controller, not a volume or expression pedal (Lukes volume pedal has always been controlling just th overall volume).

If you want to hear how it sounds like when he adds more modulation (in other words, the chorus) on top of a lead tone, listen at 40:22. You can also hear him switch it on at 32:36, then off again at 32:46. Same thing again but with a rhythm tone, on at 31:09, off at 31:14. I have to admit, it's kind of hard to tell if the chorus is on or off during I'll Be Over You, but I'm fairly certain he doesn't switch it on in the middle. It's either on or off the whole solo, since I can't hear the telltale sign of the stereo spectrum shifting when it engages.

I'll leave this link here so you can toy around with the different sounds yourselves:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/steve-lukather-soldano-x88r-preset.108330/

Thanks a ton!!!
I was thinking about the possibility of a second delay but somehow I thought the sound just became wider and wetter without adding repeats at that specific timestimp. Listening to the other marks you mention it's clearly another delay :)

Back
Top Bottom