John Petrucci Guitar Universe 2.0 - NY August 2018

Henry

Experienced
Anyone here going? Or is an alumnus from last year?

I'm not sure what to expect. I assume people bring a guitar, right?

Its sounds too expensive $2000 USD to $3800 USD.
Now if money was as abundant as grains of sand I'd be there for sure.

I've been to The G4 Experience in 2015 with Joe Satriani, and Vai Academy back in January this year.

Both are also organized by Dream Catcher Events. They're a pretty good crew and do a good job.

People bring guitars. I brought 2 both times, plus my Axe Fx II and one Xitone to play around on in the hotel room during downtime. No point in bringing a guitar to the master class sessions, though.

They were run very differently, but both were enjoyable.

Joe's camp was a much more "even" split between Joe, Animals as Leaders and The Aristocrats (the 3 main attractions, there were others, too).

Steve's camp was much more focused on Steve, with the other artists (Steve Morse, Yngwie and Annie Clark) joining him and also having shorter sessions by themselves.

At Joe's camp, there was an hour-ish long concert every night, followed by "camper" jam sessions.

At Steve's, he would play 2-3 songs at night and then one song with one of the guest artists. Then he and his band jammed with the campers individually (there was a schedule, everyone got the opportunity). There were also camper jams.

During Steve's camp, there was much less downtime. I was engaged pretty much from 8am until at least 9pm every day.

It isn't cheap, but I really enjoyed both events.

I never got into DT, so I'm not that familiar with Petrucci (plus I'm in CA) so I don't think I would attend unless the guest artists were super appealing.

If you can afford it and like the people that are going to be there, you should do it. I was amazed at all the people from all over the place that came - especially at Vai Academy. Guitarists from all over the world.

Also got to jam with Larry Mitchell, which was great fun!

Thanks for the detailed account, @unix-guy! I booked right when it was announced and very much look forward to it, just had no clue what to expect w/r/t personal involvement.

If anyone here was to JP 1.0 last year, please share your experience!

Its sounds too expensive $2000 USD to $3800 USD.
Now if money was as abundant as grains of sand I'd be there for sure.

If money was that abundant you'd be paying for it with something else, or bill denominations bigger then the Zimbabwean dollar.

rbzTrillion.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1T3U3MDdAPU/VQHoMSjHQZI/AAAAAAAAA-s/srbJw-Aa8U0/s1600/rbzTrillion.JPG

A temporary schedule was posted in the FB group. I don't think I'm violating any agreements by posting a picture here (to make other forum members envious of course).
upload_2018-5-30_14-36-26.png

Man, have blast!

The lineup for this is crazy shred heads!

Guthrie is such a cool dude, Tosin, too.

We got a new detailed class schedule. Looks like Fractal is there too!

Monday 8/6

5:00-6:45 John Petrucci and Instructors Welcoming and Q&A
7:00-8:00 Dinner
8:00-8:45 Gear Company Breakouts
1. TC Electronics
2. Line 6
9:00-10:00 All Star Concert!
10:00-11:00 Late Nights with Maddi
10:00-?? Camper Jamming with Jon Finn, Doug Doppler, Stig Mathisen, Federico Miranda, and Chris Cisneros

Tuesday 8/7

8:00-9:00 Breakfast
9:00-9:45 Breakout Classes
1. Andy James
2. Rusty Cooley
3. Tony MacAlpine
4. Jon Finn
10:00-11:45 John Petrucci Master Class
12:00-1:00 Breakout Classes
1. Andy James
2. Rusty Cooley
3. Tosin Abasi
4. Jason Richardson
1:00-2:00 Lunch
2:00-2:45 Breakout Classes
1. Guthrie Govan
2. Tosin Abasi
3. Jon Finn
4. Mike Mangini
3:00-4:45 John Petrucci Master Class
5:00-6:00 Breakout Classes
1. Guthrie Govan
2. Andy James
3. Tony MacAlpine
4. Jason Richardson
6:15-7:00 Breakout Classes
1. Jimmy T from Cove City Studio
2. Doug Dopler (beginner class)
3. Stig Mathisen
7:00-8:00 Dinner
8:00-8:45 Gear Company Breakouts
1. Boss/Roland
2. Fractal
9:00-10:00 All Star Gig
10:00-?? Camper Jamming with Mike, Doug, Stig, Federico, and Chris

Wednesday 8/8

1. Rusty Cooley
2. Tosin Abasi
3. Tony MacAlpine
4. Jon Finn
1. Al Dimeola
2. Guthrie Govan
3. Mike Mangini
2:00-4:30 Group Photo and Signing Session
4:30-5:15 Breakout Classes
1. Al Dimeola
2. Guthrie Govan
3. Tony MacAlpine
5:30-7:00 Sterling Ball
7:00-8:45 Sterling Ball BBQ Dinner
9:00-10:00 Al Dimeola Concert

Thursday 8/9

1. Guthrie Govan
2. Tony MacAlpine
3. Jason Richardson
4. Doug Doppler (beginner class)
5. Stig Mathisen
1. Guthrie Govan
2. Rusty Cooley
3. Tosin Abasi
4. Jason Richardson
2:00-2:45 Breakout Classes
1. Andy James
2. Tosin Abasi
3. Jon Finn
4. Mike Mangini
3:00-4:45 John Petrucci Master Class
5:00-6:00 Breakout Classes
1. Andy James
2. Rusty Cooley
3. Tony MacAlpine
4. Jon Finn
6:125-7:00 Gear Company Breakouts
1. Larry DiMarzio
2. Dunlop
7:00-8:00 Wine Tasting
7:30-8:45 Dinner
9:00-10:00 John Petrucci Concert!

These camps are great and highly recommended!

During our "FAS SEMINAR" session John and I will introduce the Axe-Fx III, look at how he is using it in his live and studio rig, and usually also delve into some totally new effects that he wants to create.

I will also have daily open slots for group and individual sessions. I'll have an Axe-Fx III and AX8 with me plus a killer set of monitors provided by Meyer. Two of my open slots are already reserved for Jason Richardson and Guthrie Govan, each of whom hopes to "go deep" on the III. I'm pretty excited about those and happy to also book forum members for private or group sessions. The camp is supposed to provide you with a way to sign up for these when you get there. Also, I am willing to work into the night with you after dinner or each evening's concert.

Last edited:
Awesome!

Make sure to say hi to Doug Doppler from me (Kevin Collins)... I've known him for a looong time, he used to be my teacher. He took over Joe Satriani's students when Satch stopped teaching (he is a Joe alumni). Great guy!

Also, don't miss that Sterling BBQ. He is an award winning BBQer winning national competitions... As I learned at Vai Academy. We didn't get a BBQ :(

These camps are great and highly recommended!

During our "FAS SEMINAR" session John and I will introduce the Axe-Fx III, look at how he is using it in his live and studio rig, and usually also delve into some totally new effects that he wants to create.

I will also have daily open slots for group and individual sessions. I'll have an Axe-Fx III and AX8 with me plus a killer set of monitors provided by Meyer. Two of my open slots are already reserved for Jason Richardson and Guthrie Govan, each of whom hopes to "go deep" on the III. I'm pretty excited about those and happy to also book forum members for private or group sessions. The camp is supposed to provide you with a way to sign up for these when you get there. Also, I am willing to work into the night with you after dinner or each evening's concert.
Guthrie got his first Fractal device delivered to the hotel at The G4 Experience when I was there... Got a pic somewhere:)

01044832-0A22-45E9-80C0-833701463DC3.jpeg

looks awesome, Im always afraid I will be embarrassed by serious guitar shredders/stagefright.

looks awesome, Im always afraid I will be embarrassed by serious guitar shredders/stagefright.
All experience levels attend... At Vai Academy every single camper had the opportunity to jam with Steve and his band. Some folks could only string a few chords or a single rhythm together but the band managed to make music out of everything.

So cool! Looking forward to meeting you there, @Admin M@! On those slots you mentioned with Jason and Guthrie, does that mean regular participants can listen in to those too, or are they just for those respective artists?

Those sessions will probably be private. Henry, if you want to spend some time, just say so here and I'll give you pole position.

Awesome!

Make sure to say hi to Doug Doppler from me (Kevin Collins)... I've known him for a looong time, he used to be my teacher. He took over Joe Satriani's students when Satch stopped teaching (he is a Joe alumni). Great guy!

Also, don't miss that Sterling BBQ. He is an award winning BBQer winning national competitions... As I learned at Vai Academy. We didn't get a BBQ :(
I took my first 'real' lessons from Doug for a few months. He was very patient and kind but it was clearly evident I was nowhere near ready for his level of expertise. I was way out of my league and eventually stopped because I felt guilty, thinking I was wasting his time. Still learned a lot though and continue to learn from his material, great instructor and overall nice guy.

Back
Top Bottom