My Acoustic Guitar Preset

I think it's a good starting point for sure - And I'll preface this by saying that Acoustic guitar Sound/Tone is a VERY subjective thing,.. probably maybe more so than Electric Guitar Sounds (?) ...

So to me, it sounds like the lows need to be rolled off a bit (?) ... Needs some midrange work (More of it) and again "To me" the top end sounds a bit thin and tinny? ... I am just using my PC speakers at work, but they're decent. I'll listen on my headphones and Studio monitors later ...

:D

I think it's a good starting point for sure - And I'll preface this by saying that Acoustic guitar Sound/Tone is a VERY subjective thing,.. probably maybe more so than Electric Guitar Sounds (?) ...

So to me, it sounds like the lows need to be rolled off a bit (?) ... Needs some midrange work (More of it) and again "To me" the top end sounds a bit thin and tinny? ... I am just using my PC speakers at work, but they're decent. I'll listen on my headphones and Studio monitors later ...

:D
Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely have more of a play around today!

Just great stuff Leon...all the way around, the acoustic preset will sit well in the mix...sounds a lot like my Larivee D-2 which records well and is a very balanced and naturally compressed acoustic.
Thank you for your sharing your hard work with all of us!

Just great stuff Leon...all the way around, the acoustic preset will sit well in the mix...sounds a lot like my Larivee D-2 which records well and is a very balanced and naturally compressed acoustic.
Thank you for your sharing your hard work with all of us!
Glad you enjoyed it. My main goal with this patch was to help the sound of my main acoustic sit in a mix without having to tweak it live.

Here it is in action, recorded DI.

Last edited:
Leon, you have a great studio with great mics - Why don't you shoot your own IR?

As other's have written your preset sounds very full in the low mids (some might call it boomy), and the high-end is a bit brittle.

I posted these IRs in another thread. Maybe they're useful to you. (I copied the text from the other thread)

This package has four TMs based on two guitars. "Alhambra" refers to my nylon string acoustic and its on-board piezo (DI). "sE5" is the small diaphragm condenser used. "OM42" is my Martin OM42 and its on-board electret transducer system (DI).

I also tone matched both to my PRS soapbar bridge pickup. I am extremely happy with the Alhambra-Soapbar tone match. It does not sound like a nylon string acoustic when used with my PRS, but it does sound like a smooth steel string acoustic without the harshness and the boominess that I think that many TMs suffer from. I found that this tone match also works fine with humbucker bridge pickups.

Try it out. See if there's anything you like. I really shoot do some more. As I said. I quite like the exercise.

Attachments

• ToneMatchesSmittefar.zip
    81.1 KB · Views: 122
I would not roll off any bass, but as stated by werner1 and I agree, about acosutic being more subjective than electric. .... Yours sound nice to me. Good acoustic tone imho.
My main goal is try get it to sound like a mic'd acoustic. Period. There was a video a while back, axeFXII though, showing the sound results after mixing the mic'd tone with the piezo tone. It was great.

Last edited:
Thank you for the preset Leon. I enjoyed the bluesy song. Great vocal plus harmonica - fantastic!

Leon, you have a great studio with great mics - Why don't you shoot your own IR?

As other's have written your preset sounds very full in the low mids (some might call it boomy), and the high-end is a bit brittle.

I posted these IRs in another thread. Maybe they're useful to you. (I copied the text from the other thread)

This package has four TMs based on two guitars. "Alhambra" refers to my nylon string acoustic and its on-board piezo (DI). "sE5" is the small diaphragm condenser used. "OM42" is my Martin OM42 and its on-board electret transducer system (DI).

I also tone matched both to my PRS soapbar bridge pickup. I am extremely happy with the Alhambra-Soapbar tone match. It does not sound like a nylon string acoustic when used with my PRS, but it does sound like a smooth steel string acoustic without the harshness and the boominess that I think that many TMs suffer from. I found that this tone match also works fine with humbucker bridge pickups.

Try it out. See if there's anything you like. I really shoot do some more. As I said. I quite like the exercise.

Can't wait to try these out!

Great preset, especially the Pad like sound that swells up!

Have you ever tried to come up with an octaver sound like you can get with the BOSS OC-3?

With that pedal you can select the range of the octave, so you can have it on just the two lower strings of the guitar fr example.

It would be a great effect to have on the AX-8, using it with an acoustic in a solo-comp setting, but I still haven't been able to come up with something that sounds as good....:mad:

If you only want the low notes to be affected by the octave down, you can create a parallel line to your main signal. In the parallel line, you first put in a filter block with a lo pass or hi-cut (same thing different names) filter with a steep filter slope, and a corner frequency of ~160 Hz (The E on the A string). The pitch block comes next on the parallel line - Dial in the octaves as needed but kill the dry signal. Use the level control to mix the new octaves with the main signal.

See if you like what I've come up with..........

For electric guitar, fingerstyle.

4 SCENES:

In scenes 1,2,3, Cntrol Switch1turns on the "octaver" (set up so I get the effect up to the A note on the D string)

In scene 4 Cntrol Switch1 turns on the swelling pad effect

Unfortunately we can't have both on at the same time.....

Thanks for your precious imput, and feel free to tweak it, and post your findings............;)

Attachments

• Fingerstyle JC-120.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom