midiflorian - The new ultra versatile midi foot controller

midiflorian

Hi

The midiflorian is an intuitive midi controller for musicians who want to maximise their playing and minimise the setup. It’s an extremely versatile and easy to program foot controller capable of handling almost any midi challenge.

With the midiflorian you don’t need to buy add on chips or pay for third party software to get it to do what you want it to do. It comes all-in with intuitive open source programming software for PC and MAC.

If you've ever wanted an inexpensive midi pedal that is packed with pro level features and is a perfect partner for your Axe-FX or any other midi device, check out midiflorian.com

Be sure to find our demo videos on youtube by searching for midiflorian

• Standard and USB midi
• 128 presets across 16 banks
• Send any number of midi messages of almost any type
• Send notes and chords
• Momentary or latching switching
• Free and easy to use programming software for PC and MAC
• Rugged all steel construction
• Expression pedal
• Firmware upgradeable, new features will always be free

To find out how the midiflorian can work for you please feel free to contact us through this forum or via the website, we would really like to hear from you.

DSC_1200b2_small.jpg

Very nice!

What are the specs on the unit? (weight, size)

Can external switches be connected to the unit?

Can we see what the computer editor interface looks life?

Is a manual available to review?

Thanks!

@midiflorian Is it possible to have the MIDI and the USB connected/active at the same time?
Hi bondsong

Yes it is, what you will get is the same set of midi messages through both the standard midi cable as well as through the "midiflorian USB midi" device at the same time. You could isolate the messages by putting the ones you want to handle through standard midi on one midi channel and the ones you want to handle through the USB midi on a second midi channel. So you could in essence control two separate devices, a PC\MAC and whatever other midi device you wished.

Hope this answers your question, if you have any others fire them our way.

Ryan

Interesting... Can you define the CC data values? This is required for Scene and Channel control.

Also, your signature should clearly state your product "affiliation" as per the forum rules.

Hi claxor

Thanks for your message!

The unit is 17,7 inches by 7.9inches by 2.0 inches (45cm x 20cm x 5cm)
It weighs 5.3 pounds (2.4kg).

I will support up to two external expression pedals (which could be simple switches too), but at this point it does not support the addition of external buttons or faders outside of the two "expression" ports I mentioned.

You can certainly see what the editor looks like. In fact we would really like people to try it out and give us feedback. The software will be released as open source, the idea being that as people use it and build on it, it gets even easier to use than it already is.

Do you run a PC or a MAC?

If you just want to see the interface there are two "demo" style videos on YouTube that you can access through our website video section.

We do have a manual, but it needs some editing and formatting before we make it publicly available. In the time being if you have any specific questions we are keen to hear them and give you answers.

Ryan

@midiflorian It appears in the video that the unit is powered through USB. Is that true? If so would you be able to have the MIDI outs as well without a power supply?

@midiflorian It appears in the video that the unit is powered through USB. Is that true? If so would you be able to have the MIDI outs as well without a power supply?

Yep, if you have the midiflorian plugged in via USB it will get all it's power from the USB port, it is USB bus powered. Alternatively if you were only using the standard 5 pin midi port for communication you would have to supply power using a standard 9V stompbox style power supply.

Note that if you are using an Axe-Fx, you could not plug the usb port of the Axe-Fx directly into the USB port of the midiflorian. They are both "slave" devices. I have been ask this question so I like to make that clear. The USB port on the midiflorian is so that you can plug it directly into a computer.

Ryan

Last edited:
Interesting... Can you define the CC data values? This is required for Scene and Channel control.

Also, your signature should clearly state your product "affiliation" as per the forum rules.

Hi there unix-guy.

Yes you can configure both data bytes of the CC message. (I've uploaded a small screen capture of the selector in the software)

The beauty of the midiflorian is that you could actually send many of these messages with each button press so you could modify a number of settings with one press. What you see below is a setting for one single midiflorian preset ie. 3 control change messages will be sent.

message_selector.jpg

I hope this answers your question, if there is anything else I can answer for you please don't hesitate.

Warm regards
Ryan
Affiliation: midiflorian owner and joint designer

Hi there unix-guy.

Yes you can configure both data bytes of the CC message. (I've uploaded a small screen capture of the selector in the software)

The beauty of the midiflorian is that you could actually send many of these messages with each button press so you could modify a number of settings with one press. What you see below is a setting for one single midiflorian preset ie. 3 control change messages will be sent.

View attachment 45695

I hope this answers your question, if there is anything else I can answer for you please don't hesitate.

Warm regards
Ryan
Affiliation: midiflorian owner and joint designer
Thanks!

A couple questions:

What's the cost?

Do you have a way to made "stomp" or "IA" buttons be mutually exclusive? In other words, they are a "group" so that pressing the button for one will light that LED and set other LED active in the group to off? Or just have control over LED states?

> What's the cost?

Their website says "Suggested retail price of 189 USD"

..if they have these in stock for $189, I forsee many many orders (myself included), and then many many used ones for sale here once the FC6/FC12's come out :p

> What's the cost?

Their website says "Suggested retail price of 189 USD"

..if they have these in stock for $189, I forsee many many orders (myself included), and then many many used ones for sale here once the FC6/FC12's come out :p
I totally missed that when I looked before...

Yep, if you have the midiflorian plugged in via USB it will get all it's power from the USB port, it is USB bus powered. If you were only using the standard 5 pin midi port you would have to supply power using a standard 9V stompbox style power supply
Thanks for the answer. I corrected the typo in the answer. I assume you meant “5 pin midi port”

Are there any other pics of the unit. Like a rear shot?

It looks like a winner.

Thanks for the answer. I corrected the typo in the answer. I assume you meant “5 pin midi port”

Are there any other pics of the unit. Like a rear shot?

It looks like a winner.
Hi bondsong.

I will definitely look into getting the rear view shot for you. The midiflorian has two midi ports and one power supply socket on the back, as well as two expansion sockets for expression pedals. The one "midi" port is USB, the other is a standard 5 pin midi DIN. What I meant in the post above is that if you are using a USB cable to connect the midiflorian it is technically the only cable you need as power comes from the USB. If you opt for using the standard 5 pin DIN midi cable for communication then you will also need to supply 9V to the 2.1mm power socket.

Ryan
Owner and joint designer

I totally missed that when I looked before...
Hi unix-guy

Yes, the midiflorian will be going for $189 including shipping. The one variable is the cost of shipping, but we aim to always keep the device under $200.

To answer your question about the LEDs, the midiflorian doesn't have on board LEDs. It was something that we discussed at length during design and ultimately decided against it. There was just no way for the feature to make sense universally for all midi users (as apposed to just AxeFx and Kemper users) without making it highly configurable in the programming software. When we included it, the software became rather complicated with many "LED on or off" and "exclusive toggle" settings. To stick to our rule of keeping things simple we had to leave it out.

Ryan
Owner and joint designer

Do you have a model without the pedal or are you planning on making that?
I have no interest in a buildt in pedal.

Hi Ole

At this point we don't do one without the pedal but it certainly is something that we will put on the radar if there is demand, it would be really quite easy to do. I predict that a narrower midiflorian without the pedal portion would probably be about $30 cheaper, bringing it in at about $159.

We will keep listening for this request and if we decide to expand the range to include a pedal free version I will let you know.

Ryan
Owner and joint designer

Hi unix-guy

Yes, the midiflorian will be going for $189 including shipping. The one variable is the cost of shipping, but we aim to always keep the device under $200.

To answer your question about the LEDs, the midiflorian doesn't have on board LEDs. It was something that we discussed at length during design and ultimately decided against it. There was just no way for the feature to make sense universally for all midi users (as apposed to just AxeFx and Kemper users) without making it highly configurable in the programming software. When we included it, the software became rather complicated with many "LED on or off" and "exclusive toggle" settings. To stick to our rule of keeping things simple we had to leave it out.

Ryan
Owner and joint designer
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the answers. Personally, I would probably never use this controller because I really need a "state indicator" of some sort for my own needs... But for the price and feature set, it looks like a good option.

Yea, I think you really missed the ball by excluding LEDs for the switches. I was in the process of getting out my wallet when I learned that. Would have otherwise made a great controller to keep at the house and leave the big boy at the rehearsal studio. I’d be willing to deal with setting it up to have that functionality.

Back
Top Bottom