Cab Block delay settings

Chiguete

Experienced
Do you guys change the Delay settings on the Cab Block? I saw this video that he recommends using small 0.030ms-0.060ms to one of the cabs used in order to get a more realistic sound. Also I just looked up on the Fractal Wiki page and they recomend it too:

Delay
This is a "micro delay" for stereo applications. When running a Cab in Stereo mode, or when using two panned Cab blocks in parallel, delaying one side relative to the other can achieve interesting comb filter effects. A common practice in studio recording is to use multiple mics on a speaker at different distances to intentionally introduce comb filtering.

Fractal Audio:
"My secret to realistic cab sounds is Delay. Use two IRs in stereo or two cab blocks and put a small amount of delay on one (using the Delay parameter in the Cab block). I like around 0.06 ms. You may like more or less. Producers experiment with placing mics at different distances to enhance the recorded guitar tones. This is the same as using a small amount of delay. Adding a bit of delay introduces some comb filtering which creates notches and peaks in the response which, in turn, adds a sense of "space" to the tone. Try it." And: "If you have any cab packs try mixing the "Back" IR with one of the regular IRs. I use more delay when doing this, 0.1 ms or more. I lower the level on the back IR by a couple dB. This gives a nice "in the room" open-backed cab sound." source

Do you guys change the Delay settings on the Cab Block? I saw this video that he recommends using small 0.030ms-0.060ms to one of the cabs used in order to get a more realistic sound. Also I just looked up on the Fractal Wiki page and they recomend it too:

Delay
This is a "micro delay" for stereo applications. When running a Cab in Stereo mode, or when using two panned Cab blocks in parallel, delaying one side relative to the other can achieve interesting comb filter effects. A common practice in studio recording is to use multiple mics on a speaker at different distances to intentionally introduce comb filtering.

Fractal Audio:
"My secret to realistic cab sounds is Delay. Use two IRs in stereo or two cab blocks and put a small amount of delay on one (using the Delay parameter in the Cab block). I like around 0.06 ms. You may like more or less. Producers experiment with placing mics at different distances to enhance the recorded guitar tones. This is the same as using a small amount of delay. Adding a bit of delay introduces some comb filtering which creates notches and peaks in the response which, in turn, adds a sense of "space" to the tone. Try it." And: "If you have any cab packs try mixing the "Back" IR with one of the regular IRs. I use more delay when doing this, 0.1 ms or more. I lower the level on the back IR by a couple dB. This gives a nice "in the room" open-backed cab sound." source

Hello - I always use delay setting in the cab block, and my value is 0.032 - for me that's the optimum. I read it somewhere in the forum, I think ...

Does it work the same if the two cabs are in center and not stereo panned 100% to each side?

It only works if the cabs are panned to the centre. You’re introducing a small phase differential to change the tone, not creating a wider sound.

Back
Top Bottom