I was hoping I wouldn't be tempted, but..

I'm considering buying an Axe Fx II XL+ (from Fractal directly, of course). I really, really want someone to tell me to be patient, because I do care about the longevity, better cpu, and extra features, even as a hobbyist who has never owned a Fractal product. I think that last bit summarizes where I'm at perfectly; I've never owned one, and I want to hear it for myself. I'm at 1/30, close to midnight on the waitlist, and I am getting a feel for the process and have realized that it's going to be a while, but it's still a modest spot. I don't know, sway me one way or the other, because I am gritting my teeth and couldn't resist publicizing my anxiety, haha.

Last edited:
I'm considering buying an Axe Fx II XL+ (from Fractal directly, of course). I really, really want someone to tell me to be patient, because I do care about the longevity, better cpu, and extra features, even as a hobbyist who has never owned a Fractal product. I think that list bit summarizes where I'm at perfectly; I've never owned one, and I want to hear it for myself. I'm at 1/30, close to midnight on the waitlist, and I am getting a feel for the process and have realized that it's going to be a while, but it's still a modest spot. I don't know, sway me one way or the other, because I am gritting my teeth and couldn't resist publicizing my anxiety, haha.

Be patient. Trust me. If you have the money to afford the 3, just wait (or you can always buy my mint condition Axe2xl+ with 5-space rack and MFC-101 or my AX-8 and road case). :D

@BitesizeCrayons I would never disparage the XL+, it's a killer device that will be making great music for many years from now. Frankly, I can't imagine anyone ever regretting the purchase of one. I've been missing mine since I sold it to help finance the III. All that being said, I now have the III and don't at regret making the swap. It has everything I loved in the XL+, except dedicated foot controller (yet), and a lot of things that were not on the earlier model that I have already come to like in my first 24 hours of ownership!

So, advice? I'd say that, in reality, I was far from matching the capability of the XL+ and could have played on it the rest of my life quite happily. That would even be true of the AX8. If you're buying for "needs" you could almost throw a dart and hit any FAS product and be fine. But, going from your post:
I do care about the longevity, better cpu, and extra features,
then I say "Stay Calm and Order an Axe FX III" (should be a t-shirt idea in there somewhere).

All depends on the use case. Do you want a rock solid stable product that most likely wont have a firmware update every other week changing your sounds? Nothing wrong with the XL+, i'll bet 99% of people who had them would not ever use it to it's fullest. Do I personally need a III? no. my old mark I model still kills, and my son will be more than happy with it. Main reason i'm upgrading is to get him into his first really pro setup.

I've killed this line of rethinking it myself repeatedly. The primary killer is always the floor controller situation. The existing unit doesn't carry over 100% and the up and coming units look better in every way and are better suited to my needs. Nevermind the hideous check I just wrote to the IRS which I still need to recover from....

Patience. Must practice patience.

I've killed this line of rethinking it myself repeatedly. The primary killer is always the floor controller situation. The existing unit doesn't carry over 100% and the up and coming units look better in every way and are better suited to my needs. Nevermind the hideous check I just wrote to the IRS which I still need to recover from....

Patience. Must practice patience.
I'm not even a live player at this point, so the FC is something I could wait on. I understand that it will be crucial for me later on if I'm even looking to jam with others, but I'm not sweating it right now. That leads me to another topic: what considerations should I make with floor controllers? Seems a lot of people opt for first party, but sell me on getting on yet another waitlist. I may just get on that one faster than I did with the Fx 3, because I see where slight hesitation got me.

If you can afford the III - get the III.
If you play live and need an easy to connect foot controller now - buy a II XL+ and a MFC.
If you want a solid developed product: get the II XL+.
If you are excited about all changes and new firmware updates: get a III

I have a II XL+ - it is a great piece of equipment and to be honest I just scratched the surface .... But I intend to buy the III - not that I would need it - but I want to have it!

What are you currently using? Understand that there will be a learning curve with a Fractal device. How will you use the unit (live/recording/jamming to backing tracks, etc..)? Will you feel left out when all product improvements are on the III? If you want a solid product at a great price get the II+. If not wait for the III. FWIW the Fractal community is tremendous and will help you out through the journey regardless of your choice.

What are you currently using? Understand that there will be a learning curve with a Fractal device. How will you use the unit (live/recording/jamming to backing tracks, etc..)? Will you feel left out when all product improvements are on the III? If you want a solid product at a great price get the II+. If not wait for the III. FWIW the Fractal community is tremendous and will help you out through the journey regardless of your choice.
Eleven Rack. It is a solid piece, but I feel that for the tones I am looking for, Fractal is my best bet, hence why I am willing to dish out that money. Even though my bread and butter is a somewhat specific type of tone, I appreciate having a lot of options, and that also makes Fractal appealing to me; it always sounds the best to my ears. I'd like to diversify my playing in general, so having a device that will continue to get firmware updates sounds like a good idea; I'm sure I could do all of that and more with the Axe II, but I am prone to feeling left out as you say, wondering what I could do with the latest and greatest. I'm also not exactly made of money, but I can cover the Axe III and FC, an FRFR, and still be comfortable.

320x240.jpg

A II with a MFC and an expression pedal or two still kills.

I look at the Axe units as being in the same class of PCM delays, the H3000, etc. just because the stuff is digital, it doesn’t suddenly sound bad when a new model comes out. To a degree, Fractal is its own biggest competitor because when a new unit comes out, there are usually many of the last models going up for sale.

Aren’t the final XL’s still in the store for 1699? That is a hell of a deal for what it does.

The only reasons to buy the Axe 3 is that you either not fully happy with the Axe 2 and you really want all them better features, or you are a gear junky that just likes to have the best gear available... or a mix of two.

Are you fully happy with the Axe FX 2 features and tone, or are you not?

I'm in exactly the same position as you, bar one aspect. I joined the wait list super late, March 2nd. So I have much longer to wait.

I've never owned, (not even played a fractal audio product), but I've convinced myself to hold out for the III. It's going to be a long impatient wait, but I just think it will be worth it in the end. I'm sure if I gave in and just bought the Axe FX 2, it would more than suffice. However seeing I have the cash, as FreeMind mentioned above, I am a bit of a gear junky and just have to have the latest and greatest. Especially when I am spending hard earned cash.

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to stay the course for the III. Hell, Axe Edit hasn't even released for it yet, and I don't have a lot of time to press buttons and twist knobs (especially as someone who doesn't have the best grasp on what makes a tone sound amazing). I know I'd be satisfied with the II, but the potential with the III is much higher. Even from a hedonistic point of view, caving now will make me even more flustered when those Fx III-exclusive updates make that thing the best you can get.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom