Cut switch, Eq Block and Amp Eq

jarabuandi

Experienced
Hi all,
apologies if this ahas been asked before. Tried the search function but...
Anyway, it's tied all together so I just asked the questions:
1) What frequencies does the Cut Switch in the amp block cut...
2) ...and by how much?
2) How can I re-create the same cut with an Eq block?
3) The amp block eq has the Marc Day option. How can i re-create the same settings with the Eq block

Its's complicated as to why I'd like and extra block in my preset. Actually I may eventually opt to use only the Amp Block for Eq'ing but for now I would't mind an extra block.

Thanks

Hi all,
apologies if this ahas been asked before. Tried the search function but...
Anyway, it's tied all together so I just asked the questions:
1) What frequencies does the Cut Switch in the amp block cut...
2) ...and by how much?
2) How can I re-create the same cut with an Eq block?
3) The amp block eq has the Marc Day option. How can i re-create the same settings with the Eq block

Its's complicated as to why I'd like and extra block in my preset. Actually I may eventually opt to use only the Amp Block for Eq'ing but for now I would't mind an extra block.

Thanks
Hi, regarding your first question, you should be able to see the bass cut frequency in AxeEdit. You can also adjust it to taste - how cool is that?’

Located under the Bass knob. It reduces the amount of low frequencies going into the amp block. It is a first-order shelving filter (high-pass) at 120 Hz. This can be used to achieve a “tighter” tone and to reduce low-end “flub”.

Cut is similar to increasing Low Cut Frequency, but still retains some low end so it doesn’t get thin.

"You can use a Filter block before the Amp set to Shelving if you want to add more flexibility to what the Cut switch is doing in the Amp block." source"120 Hz is where most amp designers put it. A typical cathode bypass has the pole at approx. 85 Hz. Assuming 6 dB gain reduction that puts the center frequency at 120 Hz." source"The bass cut switch is before the distortion so it will change the feel and breakup characteristics. The bass cut is basically intended to give you that Tube Screamer with Drive on 0 sound without having to use a dedicated Drive block." source"Cut engages a lowshelf filter at the input. This would be analogous to partially bypassing the input buffer cathode on a tube amp." source

Located under the Bass knob. It reduces the amount of low frequencies going into the amp block. It is a first-order shelving filter (high-pass) at 120 Hz. This can be used to achieve a “tighter” tone and to reduce low-end “flub”.

Cut is similar to increasing Low Cut Frequency, but still retains some low end so it doesn’t get thin.

"You can use a Filter block before the Amp set to Shelving if you want to add more flexibility to what the Cut switch is doing in the Amp block." source"120 Hz is where most amp designers put it. A typical cathode bypass has the pole at approx. 85 Hz. Assuming 6 dB gain reduction that puts the center frequency at 120 Hz." source"The bass cut switch is before the distortion so it will change the feel and breakup characteristics. The bass cut is basically intended to give you that Tube Screamer with Drive on 0 sound without having to use a dedicated Drive block." source"Cut engages a lowshelf filter at the input. This would be analogous to partially bypassing the input buffer cathode on a tube amp." source

Thanks mate. After I wrote this thread went searching the Wiki...any ideas about my other questions?

Thanks mate. After I wrote this thread went searching the Wiki...any ideas about my other questions?
Well you could use a Filter Block or which I like to use, but I use it also as a clean boost, so I cut the Lows, usually to taste, till I get rid of the flub, and cut the highs, usually around 6-8k depending and then use the level as a +8dB clean boost.. works wonders.
Otherwise, as far as an EQ goes, I’d use a Parametric EQ Block, to do what you want to do.
I’m not sure what the Mark Day thing is so I can’t comment on that.. if I knew specifically, I could probably tell ya how to do it, just not sure what it is?

Well you could use a Filter Block or which I like to use, but I use it also as a clean boost, so I cut the Lows, usually to taste, till I get rid of the flub, and cut the highs, usually around 6-8k depending and then use the level as a +8dB clean boost.. works wonders.
Otherwise, as far as an EQ goes, I’d use a Parametric EQ Block, to do what you want to do.
I’m not sure what the Mark Day thing is so I can’t comment on that.. if I knew specifically, I could probably tell ya how to do it, just not sure what it is?

If you look in the amp block there GEQ tab just under the 'Basic' tab. One of the option is the Mark Day EQ.

If you look in the amp block there GEQ tab just under the 'Basic' tab. One of the option is the Mark Day EQ.
Oh, lol, the 5 Band (Mark) is the one you’re talking about? That is actually the EQ section taken off the Mesa Boogie Mark Series Amplifiers that first came on the Mesa Boogie Mark II Amp & subsequent Mark series Amps.
There’s two issues with this, the EQ Block doesn’t have that same frequency setup as the one in Amp Block & the one in the Amp Block you can place it before the Power Amp, which you cannot do with the EQ Block. However they both can go post power amp.
You could try a Parametric EQ and that way you can set the 5 Frequencies, and set the Freq 1 & 5 type to peaking & use a fairly narrow Q & that might getcha somewhat close, who knows maybe ya like it even better. I always prefer a PEQ myself, it’s more surgical.

You know you can also use the Low Cut and High Cut on the Cab Block under the ADVANCED Tab. You can set them to any Freq you like.
And set the Filter Slope 6 or 12dB/Oct

Oh, lol, the 5 Band (Mark) is the one you’re talking about? That is actually the EQ section taken off the Mesa Boogie Mark Series Amplifiers that first came on the Mesa Boogie Mark II Amp & subsequent Mark series Amps.
There’s two issues with this, the EQ Block doesn’t have that same frequency setup as the one in Amp Block & the one in the Amp Block you can place it before the Power Amp, which you cannot do with the EQ Block. However they both can go post power amp.
You could try a Parametric EQ and that way you can set the 5 Frequencies, and set the Freq 1 & 5 type to peaking & use a fairly narrow Q & that might getcha somewhat close, who knows maybe ya like it even better. I always prefer a PEQ myself, it’s more surgical.

Yep, that's the one...not sure why i cal it Mark day though LOL! I try the PEQ and see how go

You know you can also use the Low Cut and High Cut on the Cab Block under the ADVANCED Tab. You can set them to any Freq you like.
And set the Filter Slope 6 or 12dB/Oct

... and will check this as well although I'd prefer and extra block on the grid for now. Thanks.

I try the PEQ and see how go

... and will check this as well although I'd prefer and extra block on the grid for now. Thanks.
At least with the PEQ you can see the bandwidth that you’re carving out as you adjust the Q value.

- An extra block on the grid can make good sense as you can turn it on-off, (also good for hearing the difference as a comparison to what you’re doing), I just didn’t want you to overlook another option of the Bass Cut in the Cab Block. I always use that particular Bass Cut & Treble Cut. *I would personally suggest that you probably should get in the practice of adopting that into your routine when building patches regardless of your other EQing, only because regular guitar speakers don’t reproduce down to 20Hz nor go up to 20kHz. So a cut around 65Hz & 8k make sense to me just to keep things more real, but that’s just my philosophy. fwiw*

At least with the PEQ you can see the bandwidth that you’re carving out as you adjust the Q value.

- An extra block on the grid can make good sense as you can turn it on-off, (also good for hearing the difference as a comparison to what you’re doing), I just didn’t want you to overlook another option of the Bass Cut in the Cab Block. I always use that particular Bass Cut & Treble Cut. *I would personally suggest that you probably should get in the practice of adopting that into your routine when building patches regardless of your other EQing, only because regular guitar speakers don’t reproduce down to 20Hz nor go up to 20kHz. So a cut around 65Hz & 8k make sense to me just to keep things more real, but that’s just my philosophy. fwiw*

I've actually started playing and testing the PEQ and yes my idea of the extra block is to turn it on and off to hear the difference. I'm testing some settings suggested here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/eq-tips-for-live-tones.135590/#post-1611719 (thanks @GuitaRasmus)

I do though cut the low and high in the cab block. But i hv etc say the PEQ has got my attention for sure now.

I've actually started playing and testing the PEQ and yes my idea of the extra block is to turn it on and off to hear the difference. I'm testing some settings suggested here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/eq-tips-for-live-tones.135590/#post-1611719 (thanks @GuitaRasmus)

I do though cut the low and high in the cab block. But i hv etc say the PEQ has got my attention for sure now.
Cool.
One thing, I read through that other post, and here’s my personal perspective on EQing. I did live sound for many many years & always mic’d Everything. So, inevitably everything needed EQing. Naturally you get pretty good at it but there are a few tricks to becoming really great at it. However I’m not going to go into the finer details of EQing for a full mix & how everything fits in. Just a few thought on what can help you here & what you’re trying to do seeing as how you were looking at that other post.
I’m not a big believer in one size fits all approach to EQing. Your idea of good guitar tone may be totally different than someone else’s & those frequencies he has listed may be the last ones you should be touching. Just listen to the difference between Dime Bag’s tone & Jeff Beck. That ought to be enough to tell ya that you could not possibly EQ them the same. Anyway, there definitely are Frequency ranges where the various verbal descriptions we like to use like: mud and brittle, etc live but they can be kind of wide and a lot of times when you pinpoint the center of that frequency you can do a lot less EQing and maintain more of your original tone. Here’s how ya do it.
Use the Parametric EQ with a peaking type then set the Q so it’s really narrow & then crank it right up. Just remember when ya do this to Turn down a little bit, I don’t know how loud ya play/tweak your patches. Play something, you could use the looper at the very beginning of the grid if you don’t want to have to keep playing then tweak then play, the loop will allow you to tweak freely. Anyway, sweep slowly around the problem frequency area till you hear the problem area, and trust me you’ll hear it. If it’s Woofy, you’ll hear that frequency WOOF! From there, that’s where you bring in the cut, widen the Q not too wide but to wanna feather it out a bit so it sounds natural and just cut it till it’s gone, a few dB usually does the trick.
There’s all sorts of EQ reference info out on the web that’ll tell ya what frequencies pertain to what within a mix or guitar sound etc..

Cool.
One thing, I read through that other post, and here’s my personal perspective on EQing. I did live sound for many many years & always mic’d Everything. So, inevitably everything needed EQing. Naturally you get pretty good at it but there are a few tricks to becoming really great at it. However I’m not going to go into the finer details of EQing for a full mix & how everything fits in. Just a few thought on what can help you here & what you’re trying to do seeing as how you were looking at that other post.
I’m not a big believer in one size fits all approach to EQing. Your idea of good guitar tone may be totally different than someone else’s & those frequencies he has listed may be the last ones you should be touching. Just listen to the difference between Dime Bag’s tone & Jeff Beck. That ought to be enough to tell ya that you could not possibly EQ them the same. Anyway, there definitely are Frequency ranges where the various verbal descriptions we like to use like: mud and brittle, etc live but they can be kind of wide and a lot of times when you pinpoint the center of that frequency you can do a lot less EQing and maintain more of your original tone. Here’s how ya do it.
Use the Parametric EQ with a peaking type then set the Q so it’s really narrow & then crank it right up. Just remember when ya do this to Turn down a little bit, I don’t know how loud ya play/tweak your patches. Play something, you could use the looper at the very beginning of the grid if you don’t want to have to keep playing then tweak then play, the loop will allow you to tweak freely. Anyway, sweep slowly around the problem frequency area till you hear the problem area, and trust me you’ll hear it. If it’s Woofy, you’ll hear that frequency WOOF! From there, that’s where you bring in the cut, widen the Q not too wide but to wanna feather it out a bit so it sounds natural and just cut it till it’s gone, a few dB usually does the trick.
There’s all sorts of EQ reference info out on the web that’ll tell ya what frequencies pertain to what within a mix or guitar sound etc..

Thanks a lot, i'm always keen to try different things. I won't be able to go nuts with the volume though, so will need to compromise. I agree with you on the 'one size fits all', but I've never used an PEQ and needed to start somewhere. BTW, thanks hips for the advice on how to use the PEQ. It's going to be interesting to try that.

Another cool trick for you.
Use a filter block instead of a peq. There you can assign modifiers to the parameters. Assign an envelope to frequency and/or gain to make them change by the amount of picking attack and by the setting of your guitars volume.
You can also set the curve of the modifier upside down to make it work in the other direction.
What it is?
It's kind of a pre auto depth...

Thanks a lot, i'm always keen to try different things. I won't be able to go nuts with the volume though, so will need to compromise. I agree with you on the 'one size fits all', but I've never used an PEQ and needed to start somewhere. BTW, thanks hips for the advice on how to use the PEQ. It's going to be interesting to try that.
*The volume thing was just a warning that if you play at real loud levels and you go and crank up the PEQ with that narrow band cranked like I explained you could potentially damage something. You’re NOT running a risk if you're not pushing your gear already close to its limits however.* Just do it at a comfortable listening level, that’s all I’m saying.
As long as you’re using Axe Edit using the PEQ should be somewhat self explanatory by looking at the graph. Although it’d be helpful if it were a bit bigger, you’d be able to see it & dial it in, in finer detail. Just remember when using it, Bands 1 & 5 the Filter type can be set with the drop down box.
And like 666 above was saying the Filter Block can be a great tool as well, I use it all the time, just about all my patches, but as a clean boost and low/high cut & sometimes mid boost before the Amp Block.
I could send ya a patch if ya wanna take a look at how I use it if ya like.

Last edited:
Another cool trick for you.
Use a filter block instead of a peq. There you can assign modifiers to the parameters. Assign an envelope to frequency and/or gain to make them change by the amount of picking attack and by the setting of your guitars volume.
You can also set the curve of the modifier upside down to make it work in the other direction.
What it is?
It's kind of a pre auto depth...
How are you using that? When you turn your guitar volume down you get more mids or how are you utilizing this? Lol I’m confused but I’m intrigued for sure.

Just use it for the low cut. Set it up the way that it cuts the lows when you crank up the volume pot on the guitar.
You still have your lows when you play single notes on the higher frets because they don't trigger the envelope as much as chords on the lower frets do.
Just give it a try...it's wicked!

Back
Top Bottom