Yes - Another Joe Satriani Delay Question

Warrior

Power User
In this seris of videos, Joe is using an Axe-FX and his delay is so smooth and sustainy (is that a word) that it sounds very much like a reverb.

In the video below at 1:00 he hits a note and releases it and it seems to just sustain du to the delay. Yet there is very minimal repeats being heard.

How is this done?

He's probably running his delay into a seperate reverb. The first repeat will be cutting, but then as more repeats feed into the reverb it'll wash out and smooth out.

He's probably running his delay into a seperate reverb. The first repeat will be cutting, but then as more repeats feed into the reverb it'll wash out and smooth out.

Also, try raising the 'Diffusion' parameter in the delay block (Tone/Duck tab). Or the 'Input Diffusion' parameter in the 'Multi-Delay' block. Each delay repeat will smear more and more.

Thanks, I'll give these a try.

Joe runs DLY -> DLY in a lot of cases. I have settings around here some place I can dig up...

That would be great, thanks.

Here you go: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6078

He'll run with the first delay always on and then kick in the second delay when he wants more thicker ambiance.

Man, it's so easy to dial in a massive Marshall tone these days. The defaults for that JVM model just slay.

I converted this to II using Fractool, imported it and I get a strange rumble. I changed the amp and that went away but I hear no delay at all. Not sure what the issue is.

Last edited:
I converted this to II using Fractool, imported it and I get a strange rumble. I changed the amp and that went away but I hear no delay at all. Not sure what the issue is.
I dunno mate. Maybe talk with @AlGrenadine? He might be able to tell you about the conversion process. Preset was made with 9.04 on an XL+.

I dunno mate. Maybe talk with @AlGrenadine? He might be able to tell you about the conversion process. Preset was made with 9.04 on an XL+.

I ran the same conversion with no issues. I'd suggest re-downloading and converting again. If it's still there it's a parameter above the preset level.

Nice little preset, BTW.

I don't have my Axe-Fx II anymore, but I downloaded the preset and checked it with Fractool just to check out the delay times. One of them was set to 4 seconds, which I thought was strange.

Tried the II converted preset and it has both delays linked to the preset's tempo
When viewing the preset in Fractool, the right side of each delay block doesn't have any tempo attached to it. The time for the right side of the first delay block is 3996.47ms. The level is also all the way up for the right side, so I'm guessing there's supposed to be a right delay, but why such a high delay time? I might be missing something though, since I can't load the preset onto a unit.

When viewing the preset in Fractool, the right side of each delay block doesn't have any tempo attached to it. The time for the right side of the first delay block is 3996.47ms. The level is also all the way up for the right side, so I'm guessing there's supposed to be a right delay, but why such a high delay time? I might be missing something though, since I can't load the preset onto a unit.
Yes but the delay is mono so only using the left time

Digging into this a little more by just trying to copy the settings of the 2 delay blocks. I noticed the delays have different controls than mine.

Converted it again and it's working. However, I'm not able to adjust the delay mix.
Strange as well that there is no delay unless they are bot on.

Last edited:
My conversion to just plain old Axe FX II worked and the preset is as intended. You might download it again and then convert. 1 or 2 bad electrons might have been at play.

Not sure what you mean?
I mean it’s a parameter in a system setting for the axe-fx and not a setting within the preset itself. The preset works fine here and for the others that have downloaded it, converted, loaded it and used it. Clear now?

Back
Top Bottom