mark holcomb inspired preset

-simo

Hi there,

I'm trying to build a classic holcomb rhythm sound starting by the ML bulb Zilla Purr preset.

the sound that i'm trying to build is inspired by this video, "gain stage 1"

the misha's preset works really well in stock position and sound pretty similar, but i feel that is too much dry, the sound in the video is fatty and rich but you can hear clearly every note.

the amp choice in the stock preset is the pvh 6160 block, but i've checked carefully some mark's videos of clinics and pickup demo, and his amp is always the friedman hbe v1, that sound more "dark and fatty" than the pvh, but it loses many low end, it sounds too light.

any suggestions for matching that tone?

Hey I haven't had my axe fx for long, but I've been looking at this guy's tone for a long time with other stuff like bias. So far I can give some general tips maybe. In BIAS for some reason the alnico blue speakers worked well as a cab. For an amp there's a lot of options but I normally just loaded up a plexi and added 1 or 2 tube stages to the preamp, mainly out of laziness.

On fractal though, I took some advice from some friends who said the engl savage head and one of the german cabs (models of engl cabs) work really well for this kind of tone. They do, they have a more pleasant low-mid than the usual suspects like the peavey and mesa cabs in my opinion. The 5150 and mesa style amps and heads may be better for those who are into a slightly more scooped fuzzy sound though like Mishas tone like you say. But so far it's engl all the way for me, getting a decent thwang, but still getting a rich, full low end which doesn't flub out. Also have your gate surprisingly strict, and have your gain as low as what you can get away with, so when you do play full extended chords the notes shine through.

That's my opinion. I only have one clip of this sound from the axe fx so far, it's instagram and it's over a backing track so not perfect.

still working on it by trying to combine the german with different cabs as well to see if there's any better options.

Mess with the power amp settings till you get what you like. Are you using a 27" scale guitar with Alpha/Omegas? The guitar is a huge part of this tone. The ML IR's are about as good as it gets for this style though.

ye i'm using his prs holcomb, better than that...:grin:

right now i'm trying with the p3 misha tips (hbe, everything at noon, gain 6, bass rolled down a bit, ml misha cab 13 mix 8) but i'ts too mid-high oriented, i've figured out that something like "ml misha mix 11 brit" is more dark and snarly, more suitable for mark's tone.

ye i'm using his prs holcomb, better than that...:grin:

right now i'm trying with the p3 misha tips (hbe, everything at noon, gain 6, bass rolled down a bit, ml misha cab 13 mix 8) but i'ts too mid-high oriented, i've figured out that something like "ml misha mix 11 brit" is more dark and snarly, more suitable for mark's tone.

I’d mess with the speaker resonance curves. Should get you very close. Other thought is to toss it into your DAW and add a comp and eq through a bus. Guarentueed they did on the album, and who knows on any other recordings. Lastly cab lab, and a ton of tweaking could be your final answer. The ML mixes are phenomenal, but maybe you’ll get closer with your ears that way.

Back
Top Bottom