How do you pan stereo cabs in your rhytm presets?

Question based around this.... what settings do you guys use for the leads if playing stereo? And any tricks to thicken the sound?

Question based around this.... what settings do you guys use for the leads if playing stereo? And any tricks to thicken the sound?

I like to use the Modern setting of the Enhancer block, and 2 different cab settings to achieve separation without making it anemic. I stay away from using cab delay to get separation - that really gets thin sounding.

If you use +/-20 can you still run to FOH in stereo and avoid any phasing cancellation issues?
I don't think panning contributes to phase issues... But could be I've just never heard of it.

Also, very few FOH systems run stereo.

Use the Enhancer block or add a delay set at 20-40ms. The enhancer will make to tone 'wider', more spacious. The delay will give more of a double-tracked tone.

I must admit I have not used the enhancer. Where does it usually go in the chain? Any particular settings to achieve the “wider” effect? Thanks.

I must admit I have not used the enhancer. Where does it usually go in the chain? Any particular settings to achieve the “wider” effect? Thanks.
I put it last, not sure what is considered optimal. As far as settings, it's pretty basic, just a couple of parameters and types so it's pretty easy to check out the full range of 'enhancement' available. I personally prefer the 20-40ms delay for making a tone thicker but it does require a delay block. If you're using a mono delay already, you could change the type to Dual and pan the short delay to one side.

I put it last, not sure what is considered optimal. As far as settings, it's pretty basic, just a couple of parameters and types so it's pretty easy to check out the full range of 'enhancement' available. I personally prefer the 20-40ms delay for making a tone thicker but it does require a delay block. If you're using a mono delay already, you could change the type to Dual and pan the short delay to one side.
Thanks!

Aside from effects a filter block does the job! boost 8-900k 3-5 dB with a typical Q value. To narrow and it's not very effective to wide and it can get to woolly or congested.

Is +/- 20 the normal and recommended way to pan cabs if you run stereo live?

For me this might depend on how far apart the PA is set up for FOH. The farther apart the PA the closer the pan but the +/- 20 would probably be the minimum that use.

If it's just floor monitoring I pan hard over as they tend to be no more than 5-6 feet apart.

Back
Top Bottom