M Audio Studio Monitors

lol i have a pair of BX5 10 years old and i love them,what happen with some people is that they dont know how to setup their monitors,people dont like Yamaha HS5 or HS8 and you can see them on pro music studios.

I'm more than happy to accept that I may not have set them up properly. Was living in a share house at the time, and didn't have many options regarding placement of monitors (they were just sitting on my desk).

How do you have yours set up? Are you running a sub with them? Any suggestions/tips for when I get another set of monitors?

I'm more than happy to accept that I may not have set them up properly. Was living in a share house at the time, and didn't have many options regarding placement of monitors (they were just sitting on my desk).

How do you have yours set up? Are you running a sub with them? Any suggestions/tips for when I get another set of monitors?
well is better to use monitors stands,dont put monitors to close to the walls,also adjust the settings on the back of the monitors,adjust to taste,.no im not running a sub.

Have you considered making some bass traps and panels? It's your room that's the issue. You can spend more $$$ and still not know what is going on without properly measuring and treating your room.

I,ve worked in proffessional audio for many years and have used many studio monitors in different spaces.
I bought the M-Audio BX8-D3 monitors after comparison with many others including KRK,Sony,Tannoy,JBL and more.
The M-Audio BX8 have the flattest frequency response out of them all, which surprised me.
I also use these at a distance of around 6 inches from the wall behind at around a 70 degree angle(speakers facing in,with the listener forming an equalateral triangle shape).Contrary to people's concerns I have virtually no standing waves and use the monitors flat without any eq.
Using any eq on monitors is dangerous as the sound may sound good to you but won't translate into a good mix.
The M-Audio BX8 D3's have massive output (113db) and are clean all the way,so they will function as mid field monitors easily to allow for others to sit in on the mixing session and hear every nuance.They really are 150watts rms, despite my early concerns that they were not.
The Bass is tight and uncolored unlike the front ported KRK equivalent which becomes very muddy in bass response at high volume(front ports distort bass,period!)
The M-Audio amplifiers are well built(M-Audio) and reliable unlike KRK which have an issue with conductive black gunk which eventually shorts and destroys the KRK's after prolonged use.So if you do use them,turn them off after use.
The M-Audio Bx8 D3's will get hot if used in high temperatures (40c up) but in a normal studio enviroment are fine.
Currently on sale M-Audio monitors are 30 per cent cheaper than KRK's and way better for studio use,yes they could be considered
dull by those looking for a colored response, but those people obviously don't understand studio engineering.
They (M-Audio BX8-D3) give you an honest representation of what is actually in the mix without break up or distortion.
The JBL are the worst performers, black conductive gunk all over the circuit boards making repair very difficult and expensive(I've repaired them).No real power either.
Avoid 5inch monitors, they will NOT give you an accurate mix bass wise, avoid them all.
And NEVER,NEVER use sub woofers,as they are for home cinema and you won't find them in good studio's because they produce bass you'll never hear translated into a mix,out of phase,standing waves gallore....don't use them.
Obviously a single source point is the best,and the best over-all monitors,if you have $'s are Tannoy HPD,which I have owned.
But they wear out quickly if used at high volume(foam surrounds tear)and are for pro far-mid field use anyway.
Smaller Tannoy's are good too but blow tweeters(I've fixed 3).
The M-Audio BX8-D3 are the best value,most accurate of the lower priced monitors and have far surpassed my expectations.
I noticed one user said that fuzzy instruments sounded distorted through them,but they are probably,for the first time,hearing the
instruments they never really heard before,and hearing a unpleasant facit is essential in accurate mixing.
BUY 'EM
JC

Back
Top Bottom