Bug: abrupt volume drop when changing presets (intermittent)

Happened again yesterday: AX8 connected to AX8-Edit, firmware 9.04. I just turned a little the Out1 button and the sound get back.
Are there any investigations to resolve this problem?

I have this as well - happens randomly, maybe once in every 30 preset changes. Volume drops right down, but changing to another preset and back sorts it.

EDIT - happened since 9.0 I believe - currently on 9.04.

Still can’t get this to happen. Maybe with some of your presets that it has happened on, I can spend a whole day switching between them and get it to eventually happen? We’re getting close I think. Many common descriptions of the bug.

Upload some presets please and we’ll keep trying.

Still can’t get this to happen. Maybe with some of your presets that it has happened on, I can spend a whole day switching between them and get it to eventually happen? We’re getting close I think. Many common descriptions of the bug.

Upload some presets please and we’ll keep trying.
It's been a while but it happened last Sunday at rehearsal and only one time. Location doesn't seem to matter, this is the first time I used the AX8 in this particular building. I've had it happen 4-5 times in the last 6 months in 3 different locations: Home, main auditorium I play, and the new auditorium this last weekend. One occurrence at home with a USB cable connected and AX8 Edit running, the rest in the 2 live environments without the USB connected.

Hope it's not too much information but thought I'd be thorough with my setup etc....

My chain is guitar > Line 6 G50 wireless > Sonic Research Turbo Tuner > AX8 Instrument IN 1. Mission SP-2 expression pedal into Pedal 1 and Pedal 2 and use a volume block after the cab block in my presets. I run a 25ft humbuster-type (TRS to TS) cable from Out 1 Left into a Hosa male XLR adapter to the mic line to FOH. Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ for the wireless, tuner and expression pedal using the courtesy outlet to power the AX8. Furman SS-6B power strip/ surge protector, the PP2/AX8 is the only thing plugged into it.

I don't remember the presets it's occured on in the past but here's last Sunday's presets. Again, touching the OUT 1 MAIN knob instantly corrected the issue. I touched the toe of my shoe to the edge of the knob, thought I'd make sure that simply touching the knob, with no real chance of turning it, fixed the problem.

The preset was created on Firmware 9.03.

The issue occured when switching from Unstoppable God - Scene 2, to King of My Heart - Scene 1.

Attachments

• King of My Heart--DIR.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Unstoppable God--DIR.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 3
It's been a while but it happened last Sunday at rehearsal and only one time. Location doesn't seem to matter, this is the first time I used the AX8 in this particular building. I've had it happen 4-5 times in the last 6 months in 3 different locations: Home, main auditorium I play, and the new auditorium this last weekend. One occurrence at home with a USB cable connected and AX8 Edit running, the rest in the 2 live environments without the USB connected.

Hope it's not too much information but thought I'd be thorough with my setup etc....

My chain is guitar > Line 6 G50 wireless > Sonic Research Turbo Tuner > AX8 Instrument IN 1. Mission SP-2 expression pedal into Pedal 1 and Pedal 2 and use a volume block after the cab block in my presets. I run a 25ft humbuster-type (TRS to TS) cable from Out 1 Left into a Hosa male XLR adapter to the mic line to FOH. Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ for the wireless, tuner and expression pedal using the courtesy outlet to power the AX8. Furman SS-6B power strip/ surge protector, the PP2/AX8 is the only thing plugged into it.

I don't remember the presets it's occured on in the past but here's last Sunday's presets. Again, touching the OUT 1 MAIN knob instantly corrected the issue. I touched the toe of my shoe to the edge of the knob, thought I'd make sure that simply touching the knob, with no real chance of turning it, fixed the problem.

The preset was created on Firmware 9.03.

The issue occured when switching from Unstoppable God - Scene 2, to King of My Heart - Scene 1.
Awesome! Never too much info for bug hunting. I will check this out when I can!

Hi folks. I'm getting this too. 9.02(mine came with) through 9.04.
I'm still getting to know the unit so it almost always occurs while demoing factory presets for me.

It happened not long after powering on recently so I could note the exact steps. Repeating these steps does NOT recreate the problem so the following example doesn't really do anything but confirm the issue seems random and can happen with factory presets.
All switching done through AX8-Edit in my case. Guitar into AX8 - analog outs into DAW.

1. Powered on unit on Badger 18 preset.
2. Switch to SOLO100 Crunch preset. Bypass effects. Noodle for a few seconds.
3. Switch to SOLO100 Lead preset -- PROBLEM as in this thread --almost inaudible volume.
4. Switch back to SOLO100 Crunch preset -- no problem.
5. Switch back to SOLO100 Lead preset -- no problem.

I'll try the output knob as mentioned in this thread next time it happens.

Hi folks. I'm getting this too. 9.02(mine came with) through 9.04.
I'm still getting to know the unit so it almost always occurs while demoing factory presets for me.

It happened not long after powering on recently so I could note the exact steps. Repeating these steps does NOT recreate the problem so the following example doesn't really do anything but confirm the issue seems random and can happen with factory presets.
All switching done through AX8-Edit in my case. Guitar into AX8 - analog outs into DAW.

1. Powered on unit on Badger 18 preset.
2. Switch to SOLO100 Crunch preset. Bypass effects. Noodle for a few seconds.
3. Switch to SOLO100 Lead preset -- PROBLEM as in this thread --almost inaudible volume.
4. Switch back to SOLO100 Crunch preset -- no problem.
5. Switch back to SOLO100 Lead preset -- no problem.

I'll try the output knob as mentioned in this thread next time it happens.
Nice report, @Jape !

Next time it happens, try turning some knob other than Output. We already know the Output knob fixes the issue. We don’t know about other knobs, though.

Next time it happens, try turning some knob other than Output. We already know the Output knob fixes the issue. We don’t know about other knobs, though.

Ok, I had the volume drop today. So, I turned all the knobs : drive, bass, mid, treble, presence, depth, master, level and out2 (fx send). None of them have fixed the issue (my preset doesn't use the fx loop at this time). Only changing the preset (with the knob B) fixed the volume drop.

Ok, I had the volume drop today. So, I turned all the knobs : drive, bass, mid, treble, presence, depth, master, level and out2 (fx send). None of them have fixed the issue (my preset doesn't use the fx loop at this time). Only changing the preset (with the knob B) fixed the volume drop.
Thanks for the detailed report.

You also tried Output 1? I didn’t see it in the list of stuff you tried.

I can add another confirmation test. I don’t know how to reproduce the massive volume drop, but when it happens (I’ve had it several times), slightly moving Out 1 will instantly correct the issue.

So you guys are just switching presets like normal and it happens right? I still can’t get this to happen on my AX8 but will keep trying.

So you guys are just switching presets like normal and it happens right? I still can’t get this to happen on my AX8 but will keep trying.

It's never happened to me either and I use mine a lot. 1 other thing I'd add that you might want to do is collect serial#'s in case there was a bad batch of a certain pot, or some other component, etc that might be causing this, although I don't really think it sounds 'physical' in nature.

Eric

Mine is a fairly early US-made unit.

It’s never happened at a gig. As far as I can remember, it’s only happened when AX8-Edit was connected. And yes, only after a switching to a (random) preset (not any one specific preset). I’ve experienced it probably 4 or 5 times.

My theory is that AX8-Edit is sending a stray SysEx string.

Video proof. I was leveling presets while it happened again today, so I was on the VU page. The OUT1 Level on the display showed 3%, but the knob was at 100% where I usually leave it. As soon as I moved the OUT1 knob, it jumped up to 95%.

AX8-Edit was connected and I had just switched presets via AX8-Edit. No other software was open.

IMG_2325.jpg

Recently got the AX8 as backup for my IIXL+ and have experienced this when changing presets countless times - effectively rendering it useless for live shows. I'm hoping that this gets solved soon. In all the years I've been using Fractal gear I have never had even the smallest glitch or problem with respect to reliability. If this was any other company I'd return the unit, but I am confident that Fractal is aware of our issues and will sort it out. Aside from this issue I'm loving the AX8!

Same here. I'm only using it at home right now, as I do not consider it reliable for gigging. Using my backup pedalboard and Katana amp & head but miss using the AX8 - I hope it is taken care of soon as well!

Back
Top Bottom