A little recording help

dharq

Inspired
Hi all, I am wondering if some could suggest some ideas. I am new to this

I have an axe fx 2 xl+ Update 9.0.4. I am recording with Logic Pro X on an iMac running High Sierra latest version.

I am able to record fine, it just could be louder and fuller sounding if that makes any sense. I and trying to get a beefier in your face sound I guess. It’s coming out a little thin and treble like ..

.. I use a seven string with emg 707 pickups and only use planet wave gold cables. I’m using one USB cable to the iMac. My monitors are JBL lsr305 I connect to them with two XLR cables from the axe fx.

Hello again! Can you post a sound clip so we can hear it and have an idea of what you already have?

Are you relative new to mixing? The sound that you expect may be a result of mixing and processing. Recorded tracks should have some headroom and later after mixing (levels balancing, panning, EQ-ing, compressing) you run it through a master limiter. At that point it sounds fuller and louder then.

Back up a bit. Is the preset you're recording with the same one you play/jam live with? If so, be prepared to make several small tweaks to the preset if you record with the same patch as what u hear in the room can sound much different DI through USB into a DAW.

Back up a bit. Is the preset you're recording with the same one you play/jam live with? If so, be prepared to make several small tweaks to the preset if you record with the same patch as what u hear in the room can sound much different DI through USB into a DAW.
ya it is .. I am open to trying new things and learning

Hello again! Can you post a sound clip so we can hear it and have an idea of what you already have?
ok here is the first clip its just a delay shred thing .. I have since turned on the secret sauce mentioned by cliff in character going to make another test riff .. I am getting a bit of crackling in the first one .. not sure how that is going on here is the new one

Last edited:
I've not had a chance to listen yet as I'm at work, but clipping is a common problem and you definitely to check your levels as this can make a world of difference (saying that without actually hearing your recordings yet).

One word of advice though, before you delve into the mixing side of things you should first make sure you are happy with your amp/cab choice. If you are having to do a lot of pre/post EQ, panning etc then maybe you don't have the right cab for your amp? I have found that when I use the right amp/cab combination then I usually don't have to work to hard to make my guitar sit in the mix (live and studio).

So I’ve been playing around more and things have been getting better with overall sound and tone, the character has helped a lot and also I found working with the gate helped a lot too for me to get a more natural sound

ok here is the first clip its just a delay shred thing .. I have since turned on the secret sauce mentioned by cliff in character going to make another test riff .. I am getting a bit of crackling in the first one .. not sure how that is going on here is the new one
All I hear is fuzz.No definition and it hurt's my ear's.Sound's like one of those free vst plugs.

Well lemme hear one of yours , I’m new at this
Just try any one of the factory presets and tweak to taste.I prefer salt and pepper on my eggs.......my girlfriend prefers them plain.I love ketchup on my hotdog which is a sin to most peeps.

Personally I think the second one sounds much better of course but there’s a few things.
I think when you play in that tuning with that much gain your going to get definition problems. It also sounds like the IR (cab) is a bit of a mismatch and seems to be making the wrong frequencies pop. Mostly i’m Getting a (I have no idea how to explain sound) “kohooooooooooooooooooooohhhh” resonating frequency that’s needs to be EQ out but rather than do that I would find an IR that suits it better.

I know this is a 2 week old thread and you’ve probably made adjustments already but that’s my opinion....

So I am wondering what the best cab pack would be recommended for me, I see there are lots out there in the shop. I want something big sounding but defined and with good shred metal tone

Personally I think the second one sounds much better of course but there’s a few things.
I think when you play in that tuning with that much gain your going to get definition problems. It also sounds like the IR (cab) is a bit of a mismatch and seems to be making the wrong frequencies pop. Mostly i’m Getting a (I have no idea how to explain sound) “kohooooooooooooooooooooohhhh” resonating frequency that’s needs to be EQ out but rather than do that I would find an IR that suits it better.

I know this is a 2 week old thread and you’ve probably made adjustments already but that’s my opinion....
I’ll up the patch I made see what you think .. like I have mentioned I am open to help and ideas I’m new to recording and using the platform :)

here is the patch I have going, it has a delay on it just disable

Attachments

• dharq delay.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom