Help! LF+ Pro+ MIDI Channel

Ivan1022

Hello all!

I posted this on the FMAC forum but this one is more active :)

I am currently helping a friend configure his extensive MIDI rack to be controlled from a LF+ Pro+.

Here's the list:

Axe FX II XL on MIDI channel 1
ART SGX 2000 on MIDI channel 2
Digitech GSP 2101 Artist on MIDI channel 3
Mesa Boogie Triaxis on MIDI channel 4
Sound Sculpture Switchblade GL on channel 5

I understand the programming enough... I have Pages for each device on the Pro+, what I can't seem to figure out is how to switch the MIDI channel of the foot controller to control the specific device.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone have multiple devices they control with a foot controller? Whether an MFC, RJM, FAMC, or others? How do you guys set those up? How do you deal with the different MIDI channels?

I think you would set the MIDI channel in each IA slot for the specific command you want to transmit. You can label each device/channel in the MIDI/Groups menu of the editor.

Yea, that's what a user at the FAMC forum said. And I do understand doing it that way.

This might be a limitation of the Liquid Foot, I don't know... Maybe the users here that use FAMC controllers can comment, but this is what I'm wanting to do, but can't, or it isn't possible:

The Liquid Foot controller (and prob others such as the RJM stuff) have "built in" functions which include preset switching/selecting, bank up/down, and others. The preset and bank switching are universal MIDI functions. Being able to switch the MIDI channel of the foot controller itself would allow me to NOT have to use IA Map slots (or just IA slots) to setup bank and preset switching IA's for EACH device. Seems like I would be duplicating the same commands on different switches but for a different device on a different MIDI channel (that make sense?).

Anyway, the Axe FX template for the Liquid Foot uses 122 of the available 180 IA slots for functions (the Axe just has SO many functions that can be controlled). I can setup duplicate preset and bank select functions in addition to the CC commands that can be sent to the different devices that I would be getting close to that 180 slots. I'd like to leave some space for expansion.

One solution is to go through the Axe function slots and clear out the ones that my friend prob won't use (volume increment, volume decrement, input volume, scene increment, scene decrement, things like that...) and setup the IA slots for each device.

Sorry for the long post, I know how I want it to work, but programming each IA slot might be the only solution...

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything stopping you from sending multiple MIDI commands in each IA but then I don't fully understand your use case. I'd recommend contacting FAMC support - they're quite helpful. I'd be interested to hear how you get on. The LF is deep and there's often a few ways to solve the same problem.

We (my friend and I, I'm helping him wire this up) did open a ticket with FAMC and they answered quickly. Their solution is to set the IA switches to send the commands to the specific MIDI channel, which makes sense and I understand.

I think I'm having a bit of a difficult time explaining myself. Let me try one more time...

Now mind you, I can program the IA switches and get it to work how FAMC suggested, but let me explain...

Using the FAMC editor, you can quickly and easily load the Axe FX template for the Liquid Foot, which is awesome and outlined in the Fractal Wiki in great detail (thanks GotMetalBoy!).

Now, on the template, the IA map loads 122 IA "functions" that are Axe specific (Scenes, X/Y States, Bypass states, etc...). On the Liquid Foot (the Pro+ specifically, that's the one my friend has) there are a total of 180 IA slots for "functions" that can be mapped/programmed, the Axe template taking up 122 of them, which leaves 58.

Now, bear with me here, looking at the controller (top down) the bottom row of buttons (buttons 1-4 and 13-16) are set to select presets and buttons 5 and 9 (right above button 1) are set to "Context UP" and "Context DOWN" which moves the preset selection to the next group of presets. Those ten buttons and their functions are NOT part of the 122 functions that are mapped, they are BUILT IN functions of the Liquid Foot.

So in order to send program/preset/bank changes to the other devices (on seperate MIDI channels) I have to program the rest of the 58 available slots on the IA Map to do so (for EACH device) in addition to whatever CC Functions (for bypassing effects like delay, OD, chorus, etc... like on the Axe) are available for that device. I may have enough IA slots to program those functions for the rest of the devices but it just seems that I am duplicating the program/preset/bank change functions for EACH device.

Which is why I thought about being able to change the MIDI channel of the controller itself would allow me to use the built in preset change functions on the controller to send those commands to each device.

I know it sounds convoluted and confusing. I kinda resigned to removing functions of the IA Map of the Axe FX template that my friend prob will never use (Volume UP, Volume DOWN, Axe Bypass, etc...) to free up slots for the rest of the functions for the other devices.

Sorry for the long post, I reread it and it gave me a headache lol.

Back
Top Bottom