FC12 will be compatible with Axe Fx II mk I?

Coby

Inspired
Just as title say...I'm really interested in plug n' play capability and versatility.
Thank you very much

I don't think so, but you could always use MIDI but the communication will not be bi-directional

Man...that really sucks. I would LOVE a simple, small, less expensive controller for my Axe II. I really just want to be able to be able to control the looper. Hard to justify the cost of the big MFC just for that...

I use my MFC101 to also switch on/off my vocal effects on my Vocal processor (I dedicate one switch on the MFC for this as well as an expression foot pedal into the MFC to switch in/out my harmonies - would this not be possible anymore on the FC?

I use my MFC101 to also switch on/off my vocal effects on my Vocal processor (I dedicate one switch on the MFC for this as well as an expression foot pedal into the MFC to switch in/out my harmonies - would this not be possible anymore on the FC?
Man I hope so..... The AX8 switching system doesn't support this, and the Axe-Fx II/FC seems to be based on the AX8. I would hope that the flag-ship will have at least as many midi capabilities as the MFC-101.

Stay tuned...

This is why I did not get the Ax8 as I was considering it until I found out its limited capabilities :-(

If I cant do the MIDI thing with the FC and Axe III then that is also out for me - Surly Fractal would not go backwards on the technology (even though they actually did with the AX8).

Last edited:
If I cant do the MIDI thing with the FC and Axe III then that is also out for me - Surly Fractal would not go backwards on the technology (even though they actually did with the AX8).
Outboard MIDI gear control is done through the new MIDI block in the III, which can be accessed from the FC. It’s more outboard MIDI control than the MFC has available so objectively the III + FC combination is better for outboard than the II + MFC combination.

Bonus: outboard midi control works if you use a foot controller other than the FC too because it’s all done from the III now.

The only thing about the AxeFx 2 that will work or be compatible with the AxeFx 3 is your guitar cable. Moving on...

Outboard MIDI gear control is done through the new MIDI block in the III, which can be accessed from the FC. It’s more outboard MIDI control than the MFC has available so objectively the III + FC combination is better for outboard than the II + MFC combination.

Bonus: outboard midi control works if you use a foot controller other than the FC too because it’s all done from the III now.

Why couldn't they port the new midi block to the current Axe's & include a midi out on the FC 6 & 12?

Why couldn't they port the new midi block to the current Axe's & include a midi out on the FC 6 & 12?
we honestly don't know the details of much right now. maybe they will? maybe they won't? i don't know.

i think too many decisions are being made and hard opinions being formed 2 days after a product launch and without the gear even being shipped out yet.

sure, people want to make their decisions for the future too, but it's been 2 days.

we honestly don't know the details of much right now. maybe they will? maybe they won't? i don't know.

i think too many decisions are being made and hard opinions being formed 2 days after a product launch and without the gear even being shipped out yet.

sure, people want to make their decisions for the future too, but it's been 2 days.

I was just curious if that could be done. I have no hard opinion at all other than I am very interested in the AxeIII & therefore, it wouldn't matter to me if the FC was compatible with the older Axes since I already have the MFC for that.

Last edited:

MIDI in todays world is kind of a shitty protocol. You run out of CCs in a jiffy with something as complex as an Axe-Fx and have to communicate the rest over MIDI SysEx messages, which most MIDI controllers don't understand or send out of the box. That's why the MFC-101 is Axe-Fx 2 specific as well. With the new controllers it seems that they don't want to support updating the floorboard controller separately but instead a firmware patch for Axe-Fx 3 will also fix or improve the capabilities of the foot controller.

If you want to control an Axe-Fx 2, you can get the MFC-101 for the easiest option or pick any number of programmable MIDI floorboards. I've used a cheap Behringer FCB1010 for years and can do everything I need with it, including controlling the looper. Of course it won't show the right lights or preset names or anything like that but it works just fine for just switching presets, scenes etc. and there are 3rd party programming software that makes the initial setup easier.

Back
Top Bottom