New User - Many questions

Sorry that I am miles behind in here but I got this AXE FX ll
and it did not come with a manual and no phone number to call Fractal
I don't even know what hijacking a thread means.
I now realize that I am in the quantum v9.04 forum and did not realize
that I am in the wrong part of the forum for posing these questions.

You might want to know that I tried to upload v9.03 with probably
a defective USB cable or a CORRUPTED BOT that did not
work for the last 2 days, then I saw the new v9.04 today so
I re did the USB set up using another USB cable
FOUND THE LATEST BOT JANUARY 2018 and tried it all over again
and finally the browser seemed to automatically be ready
to load the v9.04 so I received it starting at 1:04 pm today
so I now have my AXE FX ll up to date. I hope this is helpful.
First of all, take a breath and relax. You will get the hang of it but it takes time. Everyone here has gone through the same "beginner" phase. Some grasped it quickly, others felt very overwhelmed.

Fractal products are unlike anything I've ever owned, they're not something you just "figure out". When I first got the FX8, I was incredibly overwhelmed and frustrated that I couldn't get a grasp on it and just figure it out. After a couple months of beating my head against the wall, I decided to sit down and really spend some time reading the manual and gaining an understand the basic operation. From there I took a few days and went through every parameter of the effects I planned on using most and took notice of how they affected the tone and interacted with each other. Best couple of weeks I have invested. From that point on it was much more enjoyable. Not that I didn't get stuck, still do at times, but knowing how to find the answers quickly has made all the difference in the world.

As has been mentioned, download the manual to your computer. The CTRL+F (Windows), COMMAND+F (Mac) search function, has been an invaluable tool finding answers in the manual. Axe Fx II Wiki is an incredible resource and will have the answer to virtually any question you have.

Finally, by all means ask questions here when you get stuck. Just understand when they are clearly covered in the manual or on Wiki, it does cause some head shaking and shrugging. We're all here to help each other, even if that means we simply say, "Read the manual".

But don't be one.
hi-tooltime3.jpg

Sorry that I am miles behind in here but I got this AXE FX ll
and it did not come with a manual and no phone number to call Fractal
I don't even know what hijacking a thread means.
I now realize that I am in the quantum v9.04 forum and did not realize
that I am in the wrong part of the forum for posing these questions.

You might want to know that I tried to upload v9.03 with probably
a defective USB cable or a CORRUPTED BOT that did not
work for the last 2 days, then I saw the new v9.04 today so
I re did the USB set up using another USB cable
FOUND THE LATEST BOT JANUARY 2018 and tried it all over again
and finally the browser seemed to automatically be ready
to load the v9.04 so I received it starting at 1:04 pm today
so I now have my AXE FX ll up to date. I hope this is helpful.
You are not (or were not, since all of this was moved to a new thread/post) in the "quantum v9.04 forum", you were in the "quantum v9.04 firmware" thread in the Axe Fx II forum.

The Fractal forums are a collection of forums, each organized by a major topic such as Axe Fx II, AX-8, MFC-101, etc.

Within each forum there are posts (which become "threads" as the conversation on that post's topic evolve).

Hijacking is what happens when you join into a thread about topic A to post about topic B. If you want to post about topic B and there is not a current one, feel free to create a new post for that.

Questions about a specific issue you are having usually deserves a new post.

Welcome to the forum... We like to help, but you need to understand the way things work.:)

As others have said, you have some work to do. All of your questions are easily found using the search button here, going through the WIKI, or reading the manual.

We're here to help, but you have to help yourself by learning a bit about what you've purchased. Every question you have has been answered a million times over, so you've have to forgive us if we want you to make a little effort first before asking basic questions.

Welcome, and enjoy.

R

A little reading. Download the manual. Get on YouTube and watch videos of AxeFxII setup and whatnot. Check axefxtutorials.com and Cooper Carter’s videos. Read again. Read about pedalboard builds and rigs using Google. Investigate about FX you don’t know. Do a Google search on Pink Floyd DSOTM gear. Read some more. Try building a simple clean sound. Add a reverb. Play. Go from there.

One of your questions was how can you tell if any presets were changed. I suggest if you purchased used, follow the directions to do a factory reset. To answer this question, it depends on where you stored your changed presets. If worried, back them up to your computer and then restore them. I just re-configured my entire AXE. I backed up my global settings and personal presets. I restored, updated firmware, loaded all new recent factory presets, then restored my personal presets.

Thanks for the assistance.

Welcome, @David Weissner ! You've bought yourself a fairly complex piece of gear. You're in for a ride, but it'll be an amazing one.

No, you don't have to read the entire manual before you start playing with it. But you owe it to yourself to at least read the Introduction section. It contains basic information that every Fractal owner needs to have. The barrage of questions you peppered us with at the start of the thread tells us that you don't yet know this basic information. So read the Introduction section. It will answer many of your questions, and it's better than having a group of us typing bits of that information for you here.

And don't forget that you can search the manual for information that you're looking for. If you can't find that information, or you can't make sense of it, then come back and ask. You're asking us to help you, and we're happy to do that. But we need to know that you're putting as much work into finding the answers as we're putting in to help you. We'll help you reach your goal, but we won't carry you there.

To get you started, here's an answer to one of your questions:

If the AXE FX ll was used by someone else is there a way to know
if the factory presets have been changed
Yes, but it would be painfully slow. There are hundreds of factory presets. Each preset has hundreds of parameters. You'd have to compare tens of thousands of parameters to know whether anything's been changed.

The good news is that you can download the latest factory presets from the support section of Fractal's website. Then you can use Fractal-Bot to load them into your Axe.

Last edited:
I am starting to catch on. I can alter the effects in the AXE FX ll but then I go to recall because
I don't know where to save them and I don't want to change the sounds that are already in the preset.

I am starting to catch on. I can alter the effects in the AXE FX ll but then I go to recall because
I don't know where to save them and I don't want to change the sounds that are already in the preset.
You have to save it somewhere. If there are empty presets in your Axe-Fx, you could save it there. If not, you'll have to overwrite a preset that's already there.

You can download all the factory presets from Fractal's website, so can't really "lose" factory presets. If there are non-factory presets you want to save, you can always back them up to your computer with Fractal-Bot, which installs on your computer.

One of the great things about the Axe FX is the complexity and detail that you can go into when making presets. That also means that there is a bit of a learning curve for first users, and if every first user was to post questions here instead of reading the manual, then this forum would become quite difficult to navigate - there are just so many basic questions that would be asked again and again. This is why you got a bit of a harsh reception.

Someone's posted a link to the manual - it's well worth reading that a couple of times. I know it took me a couple of reads before stuff started sinking in. Once you've done that, feel free to ask a question if something is still unclear and you can't find it with a forum search.

With regards to thread hijacking, I think that is because the follow up questions you posted had nothing to do with the original question. It's easier if a thread stays committed to one topic.

Finally, welcome! Stay around, don't be afraid to ask questions, but always do your research first. It's probably in the manual somewhere. ;)

Great advice about reading. Someone just sent me an easy
start up guide but I lost the forum page for 10 minutes
I wanted to download the Download Axe edit feature because I came across some
patches that I want to hear in the FX ll my computer windows media player does not play these patch files

You can save the individual blocks once you get the sound you want without having to overwrite or create a new preset.
From the AXE-EDIT manual (http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/axe-edit/Axe-Edit-Getting-Started-Guide.pdf) Page 9:
"Saving and Managing Blocks
There are multiple ways to save blocks to the library. The easiest is perhaps the Blocks Library “Widget” which appears in the lower left corner of Axe-Edit whenever a block is selected. To use this, just click the “+” to display a menu and choose “Save”. Name the block and press OK and you will have created a new entry! You can also press the keyboard shortcut (Mac: Cmd + B, Win: Ctrl + B) or choose Block | Library | Save from Axe-Edit’s main menu. You will also find a handy “Library” menu when you right-click (or Ctrl-click) any block or grid location. The menu of the “+” control in the Blocks Library Widget also contains additional options. Once you’ve recalled a block (see below) you can make and Save changes, or use Save As… to create a totally new entry from the current settings. Rename and Delete allow you to manage existing entries in your Blocks Library."

upload_2018-1-25_23-15-18.png
I don't know how to find an empty pre-set yet
From the Axe Fx II manual, page 38:

"To store a sound to a new location or with a new name…
The Axe-Fx II has hundreds of numbered preset memory locations. It is possible at any time to save any preset into
any location. It is also possible to change the NAME of a preset before you store it.

 Press STORE to show the STORE screen.
 Use the NAV buttons to select between the two available functions:
 The LOCATION parameter selects where the preset will be stored:
 The VALUE wheel selects numbered memory locations. NAV left/right skip by 10.
 Navigating down to the NAME parameter allows you to edit preset names before saving:
 Turn the VALUE wheel to select from all available characters.
 The “A” knob selects UPPER CASE letters.
 The “B” knob selects LOWER CASE letters.
 The “C” knob selects NUMBERS.
NAV left/right or the “D” knob will move the cursor position.
 The “X” button inserts a character at the cursor position.
 The “Y” button deletes a character at the cursor position.
 You can use up to 23 characters in a preset name.

 Press
ENTER to Store, then press ENTER again to Confirm.

The message “STORED!” is displayed when the operation completes."

Yes I downloaded the patches about 4 hours ago from the forum
but I did not see where or how to drag them into the Axe-Edit to bring
them onto the FX ll from the computer

Yes I downloaded the patches about 4 hours ago from the forum
but I did not see where or how to drag them into the Axe-Edit to bring
them onto the FX ll from the computer
Do you know how to find files on your computer?

Back
Top Bottom