Loop FX block Level

rascarvalho

Inspired
HI Everyone!

I'd like to know how do you use to set Loop FX Block to have the best result / sound into some stomp box connected on it.
I'm trying to adjust it's level connecting out 2 into in 2, but every time I do it, i can't achieve a natural sound/level.
Is there some trick for it? I'd like to make it sounds as when I connect the stomp before input 1, but connecting into input 2.
I hope you understand my goal!

Thanks a lot!

Yes... Bud I didn't match the adjust (out2 knob and in2 gain) to feel the same sound as if this blocks were out of the chain. It aways sounds different. When I connect my HM2 into Loop FX block, it sounds different from when I connect it between my guitar and AFX. BTW, I turned off Noise Gate.

It is also not 100% clear for myself.
I am not sure that I understand the all thing precisely, and I could not find information on the manual.

That said, I made some experiment , and I can deliver you the results of my own trials.
I have tried to put a homemade clone of SDD3000 preamp into the loop of my Axe FX.

Basically, there is three parameters.
Output 2 => send level to your pedal ;
Input 2 => return level after your pedal entering the Axe FX II.
FX loop bloc level ; level of the bloc send to the rest of the chain after the block Loop (about the same effect as the amp level parameter on amp bloc)

In my case, I decided to set the volume on my pedal knob at 11'o'clock, because this is the position I have used in the past with a real amp. (I needed something to start with !)
Then, as I know that this pedal can boost about 30db, I have set the level in my FXloop block to -20 db (am I right or totally wrong doing so ????)
Then I put output 2 (front panel knob ) at about 70% (is it the optimal value ?)
Finally, I tweaked the Input 1 in Axe FX I/O until the red light slightly comes when playing hard. (This is about the same procedure as setting the input for your instrument). It is of course important not to clip the all thing.
At the end I have something which sounds good, and Preset level is at about 0 Db with VU meter.

You have here the all details of my trials if it can help you. (I have compared to the FET preamp model in Axe FX , so both version sounds about identical at the same volume)
I have reach a result that I like, but I am not sure at all that this is the best configuration.

Preset
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5919
(Preset with pedal in loop sounds identical to preset with FET preamp model )

The result with the pedal into the loop

I hope it could help you !

Axe FX II loop /

DIY pedal SDD3000 preamp without attenuators ; identical to Dirk Hendrick model without attenuators.

A video not from me just to show you about the pedal I have tested)

Pedal in the loop, volume/gain 11 0'clock on the pedal (just one knob on my pedal).
FX loop block after drive and before amp bloc.

I/O page AXE FX II
Input 2 65% (this is the FX return of the loop)
Instr in 92% (Stratocaster)

Audio
Input 2 left only
Output 2 mode stereo
Output 2 boost/pad 0 db
Output 2 phase normal
Output 2 echo normal
Output 2 level (front panel) 71%

Block FXloop
Level -20db
Bypass thru

----------------
ALL AXE FX II (no pedal in loop)
Block FET preamp (drive) (to simulate the SDD3000 pedal)
after drive 2 and before Amp block

Basic
Drive 4.5
Tone 4.5
Input select L+R

Advanced
Low cut 20 HZ
High cut 9000 Hz
Clip type FET
Bass -6db
Middle freq 650 Hz
Mid +2 db
Treble 0db

Mixer
Mix 100%
Level 3.2
Balance 0
Bypass mode thru

Last edited:
Thanks manu68, I'm gonna try it!
I think you got my point right!
When I was trying to adjust the parameters (out 2 level, in 2 gain and Loop FX settings) I've connected a patch cable between out2 and in2, and tried to get the same sound with loop lock on and off. I thought that if I'm able to match the parameters in order to make them sound the same, I'll get the best settings for this configuration.

Thanks again!

Any other suggestion will be helpful!

Hi everybody

Just sharing... I follow the post of manu68 and I had success with part of it! I think I achieve my goal!
I set out2 level near from 1h, In2 gain in 50,2% and level of LoopFX in 4,7. With this settings, I could keep the same sound on my chain with or without this block when out2 was direct connected in2.
I connected my HM2 into out2 and got the sound like I had when I used it with a tube amp.
Thank you all!

Glad to read that you could solve your "problem" and that it sounds good to your taste ;)

Of course the settings are different with every pedals we can put into the FXloop.

For me the all settings logic of this AXE FX loop remains unclear, even if I am also satisfied with the sound from my pedal as it is into the loop.

As I said, I just tried to put my pedal on a setting I already know, then I fed it with a "good" signal from output 2 (I think that 60-75% is a good basis to start with), then I have adjusted the block FXloop level and Input 2 to have something not clipping.

I could have made probably have the same result with
output 2 100%,
then FX level block around -20db (to have the same VU meter level at about 0 db as for all of my other presets)
and finally input 2 around 50% (?) (adjusted to have the red LED lightning when playing hard))

Would it be better or not ? I have really no idea about that and what would be ideally the very best logic to follow. (which level first, then second one, and then last one ??)

Back
Top Bottom