Output Comp: the AX8's secret weapon for clean tones

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Only so much switches and CPU available on the AX8. This puts a limit on the number of effects (and assigned switches) we can use in a preset. A compressor block / switch for clean tones, for example: yes or no?

Well, "no" for me. I've started using the alternative in the amp block: Output Comp. Between "1" and "2" (I have it on 2) it does wonders for my clean tone (Doubleverb), adding body and presence to it. Single notes are bold and strong. It's become an "always on" feature for me.

Output Comp does increase CPU usage, but less than a standalone Compressor block (YMMV).

What threshold and clarity settings does everyone use? For my Strat I like -11.8 dB and the default 6.51 for cleans (comp value between 1 and 2).

Same here, it's always around 2 for my cleans. I also use it with a scene controller in my main gigging patch to even out the change between my chunky rhythm sound and my lower gain rhythmic delay scene. That way I can use one amp for everything and keep levels and dynamics more consistent.

Awesome!! Thanx for the tip, I’ve been searching for that thick rounded clean I get with my supersonic 22.
I’ll give this a go.

Only so much switches and CPU available on the AX8. This puts a limit on the number of effects we can use in a preset. A compressor block / switch for clean tones, for example: yes or no?

Well, "no" for me. I've started using the alternative in the amp block: Output Comp. Between "1" and "2" (I have it on 2) it does wonders for my clean tone (Doubleverb), adding body and presence to it. Single notes are strong. It's become an "always on" feature for me.

Output Comp does increase CPU usage, but less than a standalone Compressor block.
Great suggestion yek. I'll give it a try. Another great feature of the AX8 is the "Forum" knob. I find the more I use it, the more I learn!

Been doing this myself and like it allot!
It just makes the cleans of the Fender models sing.

I always used the output comp until the optical comp was added. I may revisit it and compare, because why have the extra block if you don't need it

Only so much switches and CPU available on the AX8. This puts a limit on the number of effects we can use in a preset. A compressor block / switch for clean tones, for example: yes or no?

Well, "no" for me. I've started using the alternative in the amp block: Output Comp. Between "1" and "2" (I have it on 2) it does wonders for my clean tone (Doubleverb), adding body and presence to it. Single notes are bold and strong. It's become an "always on" feature for me.

Output Comp does increase CPU usage, but less than a standalone Compressor block.
Such tips are valuable Yek, I suppose it also applies for Axe Fx II.

I normally use the Optical 2 toward the end of the chain at Line input level. I compared CPU usage on my go to clean. With the Opto 2 my CPU is at 86%. With the Opto 2 block removed and the Amp Output Comp set to 2 the CPU is at 87%. I prefer what the Opto 2 does to the sound as it seems to have more depth. So either I'm doing something wrong or the Amp Output Comp doesn't always save on CPU.

Back
Top Bottom