Midi Phantom Power

When it comes to external power supplies ASSUME NOTHING! AC, DC, polarity, voltage, current capacity can be just about anything depending on how the device that uses it was designed. If you buy a PS on its own, read the specs and check them at the output plug with a meter before using it. That precaution will help contain the device's magic smoke.....

I just take the opportunity of this thread to say that in this precise case, I am not very happy with fractal audio.
I purchased a midi controller Voes MC-10 recently.

Of course I would like to have phantom power to use it.

As every guitarist, I have somewhere 9V alim for pedals , and I have tested it with the MC-10. No problem.
I thought (my mistake) that it will work with the Axe FX without any problem, and it is wrong.
I purchase a 7 pin midi cable (33€) which is about unusable until I purchase an AC 9V alim. (I checked everywhere and could not find until now a model in Europe which would work 100% sure. I have no precise idea of what should be purchased).

Luckily I had the reflex to checked again the documentation before plug in and I have seen that the phantom power socket accept just AC , and not DC.
There is no mention of that on the AXE FX II itself, and I could have damage something => PLEASE write this on the Axe FX II socket itself !!

There is also NO mention at all about the voltage we can use with this phantom power socket . (just 1A max)
9V AC, 12 V AC, 15V AC ???? Just in case we could have an AC at home something which could be used, we are not sure of anything.

I am disapointed because I have purchased a cable for nothing.
I must purchased another cable with a socket for pluging my 9V DC alim directly, or a new 9V AC alim

I don't understand the choice of this AC plug in the AXE FX II ( I admit that there must be good reason for that) and I personally regret it.
Because, as I said, all guitarist have somewhere 9V DC alim or alim block
I have at this point NO confidence at all on this phantom power feature on the Axe FX II, which makes it so far unusable.
If I plug something in , I have about NO security that I will not destroy the Axe FX itself.
It is a pity that such a feature just can't be used easily and without fear to destroy something.
It is a little like "we have a feature, but please don't use it !"

I am happy with my AXE FX II for sure, but this precise point is very disapointing for me.
I am just sharing my opinion, just in case it could help other people.

As I have at the moment no confidence at all in the fractal socket solution , I will purchase another cable like that .
https://www.thomann.de/fr/rocktron_7pin_midikabel.htm
I just hope it will work properly.

Last edited:
There was a post a while back by Cliff that said you can use either AC or DC through the AxeFX port. It was added to the wiki:
The Axe-Fx II can provide power to a foot controller through a MIDI cable, also known as "MIDI phantom power". This requires a 7-pin MIDI cable and the power supply for the floor controller (to be plugged in at the rear of the Axe-Fx II).

Fractal Audio:
"2.1mm is the standard for DC. 2.5mm is the standard for AC. The phantom power jack is designed for AC, hence the 2.5mm jack."

The MIDI phantom power connection can be used for DC as well as AC power.

The solution I used was to purchase a 2.1mm->2.5mm barrel plug adapter in order to utilize my normal DC pedal adapter into the AxeFX. I used this for a Voes MC5jr for a while and am still using it with a few different custom pedals. Works great.
17573.jpg

As far as voltage, it shouldn't matter except with regard to whatever your pedal's needs are as the phantom power port is basically just a pass-through.

Last edited:
I have a power adaptor which is 2.5mm - it reads

switching power supply

input 100-240v 50/60 hz 500mA
Output 12.0 v - 1.0A

will this work for phantom power?

Back
Top Bottom