Big Wreck Closer to the Heart

ericar

Inspired
Any Big Wreck / Ian Thornley fans out there should download the Big Wreck cover of Closer to the Heart. It is on iTunes with the 40th anniversary A Farewell to Kings by Rush. Well worth the $1.29.

We have technology...

Is that banjo I'm hearing under the first verse? Dig it.

I love the Big Wreck cover as it does intersting things with the original. They made it their own.

Dream Theater covering "Xanadu" felt like a weird Rush tribute band but with a karaoke singer doing a histrionically bad Geddy Lee impression. Odd combination that doesn't work IMHO. If your singer can't do a full on copy of the original song, then make the whole song your own- which is more interesting anyway (see Big Wreck). Put a twist on it in some way with arrangement, keyboard sound choices, guitar tone choices, etc.

I love the Big Wreck cover as it does intersting things with the original. They made it their own.

Dream Theater covering "Xanadu" felt like a weird Rush tribute band but with a karaoke singer doing a histrionically bad Geddy Lee impression. Odd combination that doesn't work IMHO. If your singer can't do a full on copy of the original song, then make the whole song your own- which is more interesting anyway (see Big Wreck). Put a twist on it in some way with arrangement, keyboard sound choices, guitar tone choices, etc.
I agree. DT's recording sounds like a 2nd-rate cover band. I could see enjoying it live, but not on a recording. For me to enjoy a cover, it has to be completely redone from the ground up; think Blinded by the Light. Manfred Mann took the worst turd of a song and transformed it into something beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom