Counteracting Fletcher-Munsen live

2) And also, what control is primarily responsible for that "spongy" sound? I've got it at low to mid volumes but that drops out as well when I crank it to band levels
Post an example of "that 'spongy' sound." What I think of as "spongy" is easier to dial in at loud volumes than at soft volumes.

Hey guys, I have an absolutely killer tone matched patch that I love using for just about everything and plan on using it live. I am completely aware of how the Fletcher Munsen curve augments highs/lows and drops out mids at high volumes but I never seem to really be able to counteract it very well. So my question is ....

1) Where is the most effective place to try and counteract that effect? In the Amp block eq or a separate EQ after the cab? (currently I am trying to correct it at the mixing board)

2) And also, what control is primarily responsible for that "spongy" sound? I've got it at low to mid volumes but that drops out as well when I crank it to band levels
What I would do and have done in this case, is don't jack up the preset you already have. Simply copy it to a new slot, preferably the next slot over, and rename it with "loud" at end of the name. Retweak it at gig volume. Could be as simple as throwing in a GEQ or a filter and tweak away.

...or it could be as simple as just dialing in Bass/Mid/Treble at gig volume. :)

As an audiologist as well as musician, I see lots of guys trying to compensate for some degree of hearing loss by dialing in way too much highs and such. Because they aren’t hearing accurately, they think they need to dial more treble that someone with normal hearing would feel Necessary.

Point being, make sure you have an accurate basis for making these tonal tweaks, both in terms of playback system as well as your auditory system.

I'm afraid to have my ears analysed. I know I have a little loss above 12KHz. in one ear and more loss in my 'cymbal' ear from years playing with a loud drummer and the time had the 'presence' too high on a clean tone with my Mesa MarkIII, and spiked my left ear with a pick strike.
The other day I dropped a plate on the stove under the fume vent, and it smacked my right ear drum pretty bad. I can hear a faint zing now once in a while, but it's getting better slowly. BTW- I have heard that the nerves - the little tongs that vibrate like tuning forks, can repair in some cases. anyway,

So anyway I'm thinking about using ear plug attenuators for regular daily wear... :)

Anyway, if all else fails, you can Fletcher-Munsen your preset, sort of, by using a chart and dB meter - I imagine you can set the high volume preset by using the FM chart. There may be a way easier way than this, but you could set volume back to where it was when you made the preset. Set the Db meter on a stand a distance away from the cab. Play the preset and write down the dB level of your rig when your playing. You can then find the curve for that dB level on a good Fletcher-Munsen chart, and see how much you have to move your EQ. by looking at the curve at the dB level you want to tweak to. The FM curves show equal loudness but you can see how much in dB low you have to set the low end curve, and high end.

Rolling off highs and lows is not THE solution to FM, but it helps.

Easy to apply across presets when using a Global Cab block on the Axe-Fx.

I’ve settled on 150 Hz / 5.5 kHz @ 12 dB.

Alt. use the Global EQ, although that allows less fine tuning.

Hi mate, forgive the ignorance... global cab block you say..? What is that? I'm gonna assume right off the cuff, that that means assigning a particular cab which is the main cab across all my patches and presets, or does it globally copy the settings of that particular cab? Or I could be completely wrong on all accounts!

Sorry.. thanks..

Hi mate, forgive the ignorance... global cab block you say..? What is that? I'm gonna assume right off the cuff, that that means assigning a particular cab which is the main cab across all my patches and presets, or does it globally copy the settings of that particular cab? Or I could be completely wrong on all accounts!

Sorry.. thanks..
A global block is a way to have the same settings of a block across multiple presets. If you set a block as global, any changes made to it will be automatically reflected in any other presets containing that same global block.

Every block type can have up to 10 Global blocks.

Check the manual for more info on global blocks.

Post an example of "that 'spongy' sound." What I think of as "spongy" is easier to dial in at loud volumes than at soft volumes.

I'll see if I can post up an example of it although, I did a small experiment last night at practice and used my Alto 10" floor monitor at the same volume as my 12" Peavy Dark Matters (which is what we are using for mains right now) The Alto still had that nice squishy / spongebobish sound whereas the Peavy did not. So I guess that means whatever causes or removes that squishy sound is certainly in the EQ'n somewhere and not necessarily in the sag or any other parameter. So maybe my real goal here would be to run a separate signal chain out of my FX loop to the Alto and then send the main chain to the Peavy with a graphic EQ on it and screw with it till they sound they exact same.

Back
Top Bottom