Cab Pack based on Guns N' Roses: "ML - Mikko N' Fortus - Impulses for Destruction"

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
Check the Cab Pack store boys and girls: http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Cab_Packs_ML_Sound_Lab_s/69.htm

I can't just post this here without a foreword. Guns N' Roses is the reason I started playing guitar and for the first 10 years or so of my guitar playing all I did was practice those songs. I've had the pleasure of seeing GnR live twice. In 2006 and now in 2017 with almost all original members. There's a deeper connection there for sure than any band will ever have on me.

The GnR guitar tone has been tried almost as many times as the Sweet Child intro has been played in guitar shops. This needed to be next level. This needed to be the real deal. So I hunted down a Slash signature Marshall cabinet. Really hard to find in working condition if I may add! So what I did was run my microphone robot on that cabinet while listening to the stems to Welcome to the Jungle and sculpting that exact tone out of the cabinet. SM57 A1 <--- that IR is 95% identical to the EQ curve on AFD. It took a lot of work but I knew it had to be perfect...

... but little did I know that Richard Fortus of Guns N' Roses himself was also interested in working with me on this pack. I repeat... Richard Fortus who plays guitar in Guns N' Roses! GUNS N' ROSES!!! I can't believe that I've had the pleasure of working with Richard and what a nice guy he is. The pack comes with preset cab bundles made by Richard and myself that are named accordingly. ;) You should have a lot of fun with those presets.

I'll post clips as soon as possible! Meanwhile take the leap, you won't regret it. :)

This is awesome!!! Unfortunately, I won't have any disposable income until after the holidays. But I'll definitely buy this pack in January.

Richard Fortus seems like an incredibly nice guy. And he knows tone!

Very cool concept creating an IR pack around an album, and one of the best albums of all time at that.

Usually packs are based on a certain era, style of cab etc, but targeting an album tone is fun stuff

Be looking forward to picking this one up, and hope to see more in this concept.

I’d pay very good money for a Pink Floyd “The Wall” IR pack

Bobby’s presents, while very cool, used just factory IR’s (which do sound quite good of course) but I was thinking it would be cool to have some Mikko IR’s done of the actual studio gear Gilmore used for the album tones. Certainly would be a big piece of nailing those tones, and fun to have them all in one pack, maybe dialed in with some presets attached as well

I'll try to answer questions here. Richard Fortus made a bunch of presets based on Guns N' Roses songs and some presets that he uses himself. Really good sounding presets. I also added one preset with scenes that essentially nails most of the Slash guitar tones with my Les Paul Standard. That "clippedy clip" was played on that preset I did.

And yeah I think it's a lot more to include presets custom shot from real life cabs with the highest quality capture methods. :)

Interesting concept, clips sound pretty good. I’ll most likely buy this one as I’ve been looking for ir’s of a Marshall cab loaded with v30’s.

Does your LP standard have burstbucker pro pickups? If it does, you need more of a vintage PAF in there ;-)

Last edited:
Interesting concept, clips sound pretty good. I’ll most likely buy this one as I’ve been looking for ir’s of a Marshall cab loaded with v30’s.

Does your LP standard have burstbucker pro pickups? If it does, you need more of a vintage PAF in there ;-)
Cheers Brian! I actually tried the Slash signature Duncans in this guitar but they sounded almost identical (I posted comparison clips and people in here agreed) so I went back to the Burstbuckers because I have all the splits and everything with the 5 conductors which the Slash pickup system doesn't have. :)

The Marshall V30s are not actually even called V30s they're just branded "Vintage" and they're VERY different to a Chinese or Mesa V30. They have the high mid content that sounds a lot like GnR.

Gotcha, I like the tones either way! As for the "Vintage" not being a V30, I guess it's the same as the "Heritage" not being a G12H. They use those 2 speakers in combination in the JVM 2x12 combo's (which I really like too)

Back
Top Bottom