"Essential" Amps on the AX8

My "graal" is:
Wrecker Rocket for clean
Komet Concourse for dirty to high gain
Carol Ann Triptik and Tucana (clean and lead)

For the lower-gain inclined:

Morgan AC20 - Holy Grail Vox tone
FAS Class A - Vox meets Fender with super tight punch. This is an awesome single coil amp that is criminally underrated IMO.
59 Bassman - Great clean to dirty transition with super smooth breakup
Princeton Reverb - Great punchy cleans and mean breakup
Suhr Badger 18 - Great clean tone that dirties up really well. Super unique distorted tone and tons of tweakability. This amp can do it all.

I’ve only had mine about a month or so and have been overwhelmed by the choices - analysis paralysis! LOL

As I make my way through and play the various models, there are some standouts though:

• I flip flop on the JCM 800 models - Brit 800, 800 Mod, and 800 #34.
  • Cameron CCV
  • Morgan AC-20
  • 5F8 Tweed
  • And the surprise for me: Brit JVM OD1 Orange! The Fractal model rips better than the real thing IME.

Honorable mention: Cameron Atomica, Carol Ann Tucana and Triptik, Dual Rec Orange Vintage, 1959SLP, and the blackface Bassman.

I think about half of the songs I'm playing use the Class-A TB, so I guess that one is pretty essential!

Other current favorites include
Morgan
Vibroverb
Komet 60
Recto 1 Red
Brit 800

For the lower-gain inclined:

Morgan AC20 - Holy Grail Vox tone
FAS Class A - Vox meets Fender with super tight punch. This is an awesome single coil amp that is criminally underrated IMO.
59 Bassman - Great clean to dirty transition with super smooth breakup
Princeton Reverb - Great punchy cleans and mean breakup
Suhr Badger 18 - Great clean tone that dirties up really well. Super unique distorted tone and tons of tweakability. This amp can do it all.
Which cab to you tend to go with for these? Excited to swap my go-to Hook 1A for the gig tonight maybe :)

I’m going to revisit the Angle / Engl. it was one of the models that struck me when I first sampled the various amps but then I settled on a few others. I love the brute force and clarity in those Angle Severe clips by Leon.

I’m going to revisit the Angle / Engl. it was one of the models that struck me when I first sampled the various amps but then I settled on a few others. I love the brute force and clarity in those Angle Severe clips by Leon.

Yep , I don't have my ax8 in front of me and can't remember if it's the 1st Engl or 2nd one ,but I love it now. I'm a huge Engl fan going back to the 80's , and have a lot of their old gear before they released all their models that got popular, and this model is really cool. I never compare the models to my real amps, just dial in by ear, but yep this is a good one! Have fun.

Eric

Back
Top Bottom