Now that you have the speaker comp feature in FW 9 at hand...

Hhuent

Experienced
...how do you deal with compressor settings in the amp block or the compressor block itself?
Keep them as they were before? Or does speaker comp sort of make compression in other parts of the signal chain redundant? I am Always a bit concerned about killing a dynamic tone with to much compression going on along the signal path. What do you think?

I guess I would think if you were previously using other compressors to mimic the effect of speaker compression, then you might want/need to adjust or remove those compressors. Assuming you use the other compressors in a more regular way, e.g. a pedal at the front or end of your chainvor output compression on the amp block etc, then I don't think I would worry about it. The speaker comp should just allow the unit to more accurately reproduce the sound of a mic'ed speaker. Especially considering the value replaces an older similar setting.

Short version, I don't think it would cause a conflict, but I might strip the preset of any extra compression and add it back from scratch if I were concerned.

I use it at a moderate value (4.34, 61.8ms) with output comp in feedback mode as a mild peak limiter (1.62, -11.8, 6.51). I really love the response I get from that as I explore different Input Drive and Master values. These settings are a good starting point with single coils for my go to models: CA Triptik Cln, FAS Hot Rod, Fryette D60 M, Suhr Badger 30

Last edited:
I used to remove a bit of hiss on some amps by reducing dynamic presence. I think now it's unnecessary. The only parameter I keep using on the dynamics page is the out comp amount to compress the clean amps, around noon, and those settings didn't change.

I run occasionally the optical 2 comp right before the IR to thicken the mids and tighten the low end. Up to 8.00. I use the block since I don't want that extra compression to be sent to the FX loop and my cab. So far the new algo doesn't affect my choices here.

I shouldn't reply in the wake of folks who know more about this than I do, but I frame it two different ways:

1. I generally think of the Comp Block as adjusting how I want my interaction between guitar and amp to feel like with regard to sustain and how I hit the strings.

2. Speaker compression is set based on how hard I want my speakers to sound like they're being pushed, regardless of the actual volume I'm playing at.

Arguably, I am very conservative with any use of a Compression Block, so your results will certainly vary.

Back
Top Bottom