AX8 V9.01 Public Beta

One thing that I took notice of with v9 while rehearsing tonight is the added clarity/definition of chords when using gainier tones...in a band mix they had more presence and 'forwardness' overall.

I work a lot with the guitar volume control and v9 is outstanding in that capacity; I like how you can dial back the volume and the tones stay fat while cleaning up...they don't get thin, lifeless, and tinny. You can really work that control over a large range to find the perfect distortion/crunch. The best experience I've had to date with FAS gear with regards to working with the guitar volume control...v9 is definitely the greatest firmware yet.

Q9.01b and Q8.02 comparison clip; I simply updated the firmware and left all the settings the same, hopefully it demonstrates the changes in the underlying algorithms. Now to tweak!

Thanks for this Leon, really useful

Just saw in the AXE-FX thread that Motor Time Constant should default to 100ms instead of 200ms now. Mine didn't, so I'll have a play and change it manually to see what it's like...

Liking the speaker comp (AKA Motor Drive in AX8 edit) on 6 so far.

Just saw in the AXE-FX thread that Motor Time Constant should default to 100ms instead of 200ms now. Mine didn't, so I'll have a play and change it manually to see what it's like...

Liking the speaker comp (AKA Motor Drive in AX8 edit) on 6 so far.
It doesn't reset unless you have a fresh amp chosen.

Q9.01b and Q8.02 comparison clip; I simply updated the firmware and left all the settings the same, hopefully it demonstrates the changes in the underlying algorithms. Now to tweak!

I can always count on you to make kick ass videos right from initial release. Thanks, dude!

Wow!!! I just updated, after having used Q8.02 for a lot of gigs, so I know it pretty well; Q9.01 is by far the best firmware I've tried. Seeing Leons video this afternoon left me a little sceptical - it seemed that some clarity was gone. Fear not, it has clarity and especially punch in spades! I've only tried it loudish on my studio monitors in my mancave, but this is gonna be a real treat live. The new speaker comp is awesome. Thanks a lot, Cliff!

This value defaults to 3.0 when the Amp block is reset. It does not get reset when changing the model.

Sorry if this has been covered, but what exactly does this mean? How is "changing the model" different from resetting the Amp block?

One of the benefits of this FW, to my ears, is the optimized interactions between amp and cab(s) that make it much easier to discern the individual tonalities of the IR s, especially in a fully panned Stereo cab....

Doing quick pre-gig re-dial.
Speaker comp is great on everything, but it really shines on Chuck Berry amp/patch which was always stiff at the correct tone/breakup settings. Now I can put the feel wherever I want. Very cool.

Sorry if this has been covered, but what exactly does this mean? How is "changing the model" different from resetting the Amp block?
Resetting AMP. block resets all BMT and other values to noon and establishes default values of say Spkr Comp, switching amps(changing the model)resets only certain values, but this part of it is a voodoo I dont quite get either....

Speaker Time Constant is a powerful parameter to get the response you're looking for in this firmware. I keep Speaker Comp at 4.34 and use MV or Input Drive to adjust the amount of compression. The default 100ms is dark and smooth, a little too smooth for me but I could see setting this higher if I were dialing up a synth pad kind of sound. For SRV style sounds I think a value closer to 37ms works well. I find 61.8ms a good fit for me.

A recurring theme as I audition the firmware is that the tones I want are simply there for the asking as they've never been since I bought this unit last year. The amp switching experience feels more responsive, too; this would make sense given the CPU optimization. Further, knowing there's now plenty of headroom before the CPU ceiling makes me a very happy Fractalite. Thanks again, Joe and Cliff.

Last edited:
A quick question that I didn't see answered: If I update to this beta and tweak it to my liking, wouldn't it most likely be a breeze to go to the official firmware or do I need to tweak it all again?

Back
Top Bottom