Feedback problems in general

kavevester

Inspired
I'm struggling a little with hi pitch feedback problem.. (Gibson LP Black Beauty 3 pic, Axe FX2, 2*Atomic active CLR's)

Is there some fundamentals one should keep in mind trying to avoid this?

1. The level of Axe output (block outputs, vol out etc.) in relation to volume/master setting on the CLR's?
2. Some blocks to use in the Axe - filter etc. not compromising the sound to much
3. CLR settings (input volume in relation to master volume)
4. Phase inverter or something to bring the guitar/speaker out of phase or something...

(I am standing 2 mtr. from the speakers facing them so that's not optimal, I know, but that is the conditions at the moment.)

Should I always have them behind me so the guitar dosn't face the speakers - know it helps but would have the problem anyway with the monitors when on stage..

We do play louder than most, I think, but it's rock&rool so that's how is has to be :)

yeah, sounds like microphonic feedback from your pickups. it can be a common problem when using monitors.

That's 3 pups in that Les Paul. More pickups mean, more magnets which means more noise, which means more feedback, etc. Even when one pup is selected, they all are still part of the same circuit and I've seen some situations where even though you think the pup is "off" when not selected, it is actually just attenuated.

My suggestion is first, test the above theory by using another guitar with fewer pickups and most importantly a different wiring. See if you get the same noise issue. If you do, take your LP to a tech and ask if he can reconfigure the wiring to offer better noise control.

edit: Also, have the tech give his opinion on the quality of the pups. Pickups can become micro-phonic over time and cause squealing. Might be time for some brand new Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells in that bad boy ;) Good luck!!

Set up the CLR as per it's manual. Having the CLR facing you is a nice thing to get usable interaction between the guitar and your axefx. How loud are you actually playing? Is it feeding back while playing or during "breaks" in playing? Where are your axe settings in the output meter...are they near O? Being 2 meters away, I'm guessing you're running pretty loud to have issues. I'm probably only 1 meter away during gigs and don't have issues.

In these situations, the culprit is often too much gain. Lots of Input Drive plus bunches of Master Volume plus a Drive block equals squealing feedback. I don't know whether that's the case here, but it's something to look for.

If it is a pickup problem and the pickups are wax potted but old, they can be resealed by removing them from the guitar and baking them in the oven. This will remelt the wax inside and hopefully the wax will cover the coils that are the problem. You will have to look up the temp and time online.

If you have the volume up on your guitar and when you take your hands off the strings & you start getting immediate feedback & squealing & all sorts of uncontrollable, non-musical screeching, there is too much gain cranked up in the patch(es). There is no other way to remedy the problem other than lowering the amount of gain/drive.
If it’s just a pure volume issue, you can do a do a few things to lessen the effect. What you have to do as best you can is keep you & (especially) your Black Beauty out of the direct line of fire of the speakers. Try angling them slightly left/right/up/down, whatever ya can do so you can still hear them, but so they aren’t firing directly at ya, & obviously turn them down as much as ya can.
Other than that, as already mentioned, a microphonic pickup, (just do a search for it, there’s YouTube vids on it) that can help ya chase that problem down if that’s the cause.

If the feedback noise is a high whistle and it only occurs at high volume, it could be microphonic pickups. Not necessarily the windings being potted either. I have a nickle covered Seymour Duncan Jazz in my Jackson RR1T neck and at high volumes it would squeal like a bitch. Even on clean ( but LOUD ) settings. I noticed it would stop if I touched the pickup cover.

Turns out the cover was resonant and microphonic. It was fixed by unsoldering the cover, putting some of that blue poster putty on the top and then reassemble/solder the cover back on. It worked great.

Yep, try another guitar to see if it's pick ups. Also sometimes I get this playing live because I turn up more or possibly the different room. Turn the gain down and see if you can get by with less. The more volume the less gain is needed but you probly know that.

you can also get this feedback in headphones if you're using extreme amounts of gain..
the solution is less gain
if lowering the gain to the point that stops it causes you problems [because the tone is not what you're looking for]
try a combination of a little less gain and slightly stronger input gate settings

I've one guitar that requires a string damper (currently a sock :) ) behind the nut as it causes high pitched ringing that eventually leads to feedback.

If the feedback noise is a high whistle and it only occurs at high volume, it could be microphonic pickups. Not necessarily the windings being potted either. I have a nickle covered Seymour Duncan Jazz in my Jackson RR1T neck and at high volumes it would squeal like a bitch. Even on clean ( but LOUD ) settings. I noticed it would stop if I touched the pickup cover.

Turns out the cover was resonant and microphonic. It was fixed by unsoldering the cover, putting some of that blue poster putty on the top and then reassemble/solder the cover back on. It worked great.
Having that same issue with a Duncan JB with a cover on it. gotta take it off. Seems like guitars with a Floyd squeal more because when you hit the body the whole thing vibrates. For me it's my drummer.

Back
Top Bottom