Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.01 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did notice the SV Bass amp I was using today had a different value set on speaker compression and when I turned it ALL the way up only got about 1-2db. is that normal? (it was a completely new patch i was making)
Depends on the preset, how you created it and how hard you're hitting the power amp.

I'm going to throw caution to the wind and update, even though I have a gig tonight.

Before this update, I was wondering what differentiated the new Speaker Compression algorithm from a standard compressor. Before this beta, was there something unique to the algorithm?

I reloaded all the factory banks. (yeah, I admit I generally like them).
Then installed 9.01 over 9.00.

No block reset.
Have not touched the Spkr Comp.

Did use low and hi cut on cabs (80 and 8500).

Sounds good to me.

I was having some issues with 9.0, but all is well now.

Thanks Cliff.

As I've said on the 9.0 thread, my sound is just not "there" anymore. I am going to try 9.01 and hope my 8.02 tone comes back. NOTE, I run thru a Matrix GT1000FX thru either Matrix NL212's or Marshall cabs. I think I reset my amp blocks, but I'm not sure.

I followed what was said in a thread to press the bypass over the amp block twice on the unit while the amp block is selected in the grid of axe-edit. I dont know what it did, if anything when pressing twice.

And do I have to do that for every amp in every preset?

I'm going to throw caution to the wind and update, even though I have a gig tonight.

Before this update, I was wondering what differentiated the new Speaker Compression algorithm from a standard compressor. Before this beta, was there something unique to the algorithm?
Hey, it's Las Vegas!
Got recovery ROM chip?

As I've said on the 9.0 thread, my sound is just not "there" anymore. I am going to try 9.01 and hope my 8.02 tone comes back. NOTE, I run thru a Matrix GT1000FX thru either Matrix NL212's or Marshall cabs. I think I reset my amp blocks, but I'm not sure.

Beta fixed my issue. give it a shot.

I followed what was said in a thread to press the bypass over the amp block twice on the unit while the amp block is selected in the grid of axe-edit. I dont know what it did, if anything when pressing twice.

I believe it is NOT necessary. Just adjust the Speaker Comp which is defaulted at 3 and can be found under the Speaker Tab in the Amp Block.

Last edited:
Running FRFR this rocks. Improved clarity/separation - not sure what it is the result of.

One of my first very good experiences with having real tubes, running an MP-1 into a 295. Add a dose of Supply Sag as oil. Adjust the Spkr Comp knob. Very realistic boogie simulclass into Peavy Slant Cab compression - just my recollection - smooths out the top edge down to a perfect buttery taste (got it around 5-6). For pouring on popcorn.

I hate to bring up comparisons to Ed's creation of the VH1 "brown sound"..... (tone technology has historic reference points - in this case greater control/access, not only more realism; I believe we're looking at something like that here....)

Last edited:

If you liked 8.02 you'll love 9.01. There is no need to reset anything. Just adjust the Speaker Compression and Speaker Time Constant to taste (default values are 3.00 and 100 ms respectively).

Oh HELL YES !!

Make a quick preset with the 800 #34. Now THATS FUN !!

Thank you so much, Cliff !!!

I noticed the same thing with SV Bass on Quantum 9..
Speaker compression turned all the way up only got about 1-2db.

Damn!
Enjoying 9 so much. SO MUCH.
I did notice the SV Bass amp I was using today had a different value set on speaker compression and when I turned it ALL the way up only got about 1-2db. is that normal? (it was a completely new patch i was making)[/QUOTE

Just saw this Beta and giving it a go.

It says " Improved Speaker Compression algorithm so that the change in the speaker impedance is accounted for " .

Am bit confused with what that means ... :( ... no surprise there :)

I just used a few presets with the Spkr Comp on 3 [default] and Constant on 100 [default]

That resulted in overall levels being about ~ 2db less than with both those settings "off".

I *thought* [wrongly I suspect] that the " accounted for" may be in relation to this drop in level ..... I gather its to do with somehting else ?

Thanks,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom